• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

I have taken the mini out of my Amazon basket.  I really thought I could not live without it but a few days of  weighing it up have cured me of that.  It would gain me a minuscule amount of additional space if I got rid of the 6 quart but I guarantee that would never happen. Aside from that the more I thought about it the less reason there was for getting it. There is nothing it can do  better than the 6 quart and I would need to start looking for all the accessories again that won't fit in the mini.  I'm a sucker for baby things. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I have taken the mini out of my Amazon basket.  I really thought I could not live without it but a few days of  weighing it up have cured me of that.  It would gain me a minuscule amount of additional space if I got rid of the 6 quart but I guarantee that would never happen. Aside from that the more I thought about it the less reason there was for getting it. There is nothing it can do  better than the 6 quart and I would need to start looking for all the accessories again that won't fit in the mini.  I'm a sucker for baby things. 

Oh, come on, Anna, you know you need them both!:P

• Haha 1

Tomorrow, when it's cold and rainy I'll be making a big pot of vegetable beef soup and I'll have to use my All Clad 8qt. Stock pot because the kale and cabbage I add are so bulky.  But I also scale down many recipes as well as steam vegs. so the mini will be very handy. It's nice to have all sizes and I think I'll get a lot of use from the mini.

Also, I actually found a lid in my pantry that fits it well enough, it's part of a Pyrex casserole dish.

I will, howeve,  have to retire some pot from the kitchen into storage to have room for the new guy.  My cabinets, like my freezers, are overstuffed.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I'm with you.  I suspect the mini would take care of much that I do with the IP,  assuming I'd use my stovetop PC for stock and larger vol uses.  

The mini might have been my first pick if they were all available before I purchased but I'm not switching now. 

1 minute ago, blue_dolphin said:

The mini might have been my first pick if they were all available before I purchased but I'm not switching now. 

My thoughts exactly. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Oh no, not the chicken livers! I'm sending you a recipe for the easiest and best chicken liver pate that you will ever have.

Thanks very much but doubt the dogs could really appreciate it.

I, however, don't eat liver!

I just might try your recipe tho...since I do like liverwurst.

Edited by lindag (log)

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Well, you can always put it back!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Well, you can always put it back!

Never say never. 

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

18 hours ago, Anna N said:

When it was first announced, I thought about it. And then I realized that everything I thought I would do in the 3 quart could also be done in the 6 quart. Between it and my stovetop Fagor, I don't have any need for a tiny pressure cooker. Good job, Anna!

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

2 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

When it was first announced, I thought about it. And then I realized that everything I thought I would do in the 3 quart could also be done in the 6 quart. Between it and my stovetop Fagor, I don't have any need for a tiny pressure cooker. Good job, Anna!

Yeah I heard my grandma’s voice.  “What will hold a lot will hold a little.”

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

My new mini saved me today.  I mis-read my soup recipe and started cooking two hours later than I should.

So after browning my shanks I moved them to the mini and started the pressure cooking for 45 mins, (Guessing at the amount of time needed).  Then I'll proceed with the soup (moving it back to the stockpot) and dinner will be ready before bedtime,

• Like 3

I"ll be going to Ireland next week so decided to make freezer meals for the Man while I'm gone. I've already done a few curries. Today I made Pasta and meatballs , inside out eggrolls minus the shrimp and next will be beef with veggies in black bean sauce

22046477_10154880136982703_8803657327158161339_n.jpg

22089938_10154880167517703_7031734824112839465_n.jpg

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

Yeah I heard my grandma’s voice.  “What will hold a lot will hold a little.”

This does not necessarily hold true for Zojirushi rice cookers but they will hold rice for days.  My go of rice for dinner is about to be ready.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Because I was probably not completely clear:  my Zojirushi will happily cook 10 go of rice.  It will also cook 1 go of rice.  It will not cook less than this.  The smaller model Zojirushi will cook half a go of rice.

Is it really true the largest model Instant Pot will cook a small amount of rice as well as the smallest Instant Pot?

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Is it really true the largest model Instant Pot will cook a small amount of rice as well as the smallest Instant Pot?

I'm not sure why anyone would want to cook less than one cup of rice but using the pot in pot method you could cook as little as a quarter of a cup of rice.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I'm not sure why anyone would want to cook less than one cup of rice but using the pot in pot method you could cook as little as a quarter of a cup of rice.

One go (about 7/8ths US cup, the rice allowance for a samurai) is an awful lot for one person who is not a samurai.  Nonetheless tonight I managed to persevere.

Do you regularly eat a cup at a time?  Really?