• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

According to the manual for the instant pot the steam function can be used to steam vegetables, seafood or to reheat food with the steam rack in place. It also cautions that using the natural release methid will likely overcook the food and that you should use the quick release.

Using one or 2 cups of water should be sufficient to steam fresh or frozen vegetables using 1 to 2 minutes at pressure.  They offer another caution that the steam function works at full power continuously and that it may burn food that is not on a rack/trivet. 

I have paraphrased the manual. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I also only do Manual

and set the time

I also choose low pressure from time to time :

IP.thumb.jpg.ee1eb3ddd6bedccc3d872dcaa774501d.jpg

note low pressure and high pressure under the timmer

I do have a newer one , Duo + ?

but its a spare and I have not used it.

its front looks like this :

59cd5a102d87e_duoplus.thumb.jpg.a3307adae6db8c07c06066489014a19d.jpg

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

if you work your way thorough the thread

some use this for HB'-ish eggs as ut offers nore control for that

Perfect Yolk  

in bulk

for pressure steaming.

you can get the yolk  

in cold eggs right out the refrig

just So............

not hard and meealy

not softer and runny

but  jell-like

• Like 3

Also, venting the steam for quick release scares the crap out of me! For all you experienced users out there, did you just get used to it after a time??

Right now, I am using a towel and any long cooking utensil to poke at it. Or am I the world's biggest wimp??? O.o

• Like 1

One  take on when you might use low pressure.  According to this article it is the least used function on an electric pressure cooker. 

The instant pot manual notes that all functions use high-pressure EXCEPT the rice setting  which uses low pressure by default. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Beebs said:

Also, venting the steam for quick release scares the crap out of me! For all you experienced users out there, did you just get used to it after a time??

Right now, I am using a towel and any long cooking utensil to poke at it. Or am I the world's biggest wimp??? O.o

if you are the world's biggest wimp then I'm in second place.  I throw a towel over it, well folded,  and then use some very long barbecue tongs to turn the vent.  My four-legged houseguests disappear into the ether when it starts releasing steam. The folded towel does reduce the noise somewhat. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

41 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I would like to know more about your rice pudding. I love rice pudding but I haven't had the nerve to try it yet in the instant pot. Do you have a recipe that you would share?

Used one I got off the instant pot page on Facebook, here. Left out the coconut cream because I didn't have any.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

16 minutes ago, Beebs said:

I use low pressure for hard boiled eggs.  They come out perfect every time.

1 cup of water

Eggs on trivet

Manual

Low pressure

5 minutes

Natural release and immediately put into cold water

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Beebs said:

I've been wondering about the Low Pressure setting on mine. What would you use it for?

I use low pressure for anything that can easily overcook (like pork tenderloin or chicken breast), or foods that cook really quickly -- broccoli, shrimp, fish. Not only is the pressure lower, but because of that, it comes to pressure much faster, so the total cooking time is less. Some people use low pressure for eggs, too.

• Like 5

I used to stand as far back as i could and using my longest tongs, poke gingerly at it until it released.  Now I just put on an oven mitt and push the valve open.   One thing, though, and that is I make sure the pot is positioned so the steam doesn't touch the cupboards.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Beebs said:

That initial blast of steam can be rather overwhelming but you can release it gradually. Just keep gently bumping the valve open with a long-handled spoon. Then when you open it, it won't come out so wildly. It doesn't make you a wimp. It just means that you respect the power that you're dealing with. And that makes you smart!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I use low pressure for hard boiled eggs.  They come out perfect every time.

1 cup of water

Eggs on trivet

Manual

Low pressure

5 minutes

Natural release and immediately put into cold water

This how I make my eggs now.  They ARE perfect.

• Like 3

Question - I have an Instant Pot's worth of chili simmering on my stove right now.  I want the liquid to reduce a bit.  I tried to do this in the IP.  I tried both slow cooker settings and each of the three sautè settings.  None of them got to a quiet simmer.  It was either no simmer or what appeared to be a boil.  Keeping in mind that the lid was off the pot for evaporaton purposes, have any of you any experience simmering something in the IP with the lid off?

using the 6 qt DUO

Ive set some jared tomato to simmer using the Saute button  the adjust button to ' less'

the ' less ' isn't really a button but one of three choices under the digital dial :

less    ------    normal  -------  more

here is a screen shot of the manual , pp  17 :saute.thumb.jpg.fe88dc02473ebd49d5ae5aa40816bc7d.jpg

but you've done that as far as I can tell.

I didn't do this to actually reduce the volume , just to get the tomato sauce to a slow bubble while I

sauté's the two batches of ground  turkey and several turkey italian sausages in a conventional pan

to add to the tomato sauce  I didn't thermapen the sauce to see the temp.

the HPressure to make ragu.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Yep, I did this.  Once this busy weekend is over, i am going to take some water temperatures and confirm them with the IP people.  Last time I did this, they replaced  the pot as the temps were off.  Too bad they don't have some sort of store front here.  The guy who invented the IP lives in this city.

Edited by ElsieD
Fixed a typo (log)

on sauté low I got 210 F   and some bubbles in the water

little ones   steam rising

seemed like a simmer to me

on sauté mid    I got 212 F  and lots of larger bubbles

on sauté high  I got a rolling boil.

used 1 qt of tap water

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Beebs said:

London Drugs has the 6-qt DUO60 on sale for $89.99 CAD this week!

Enabling...

In-store only, though.

I saw this earlier and it seemed to have online availability but then it showed out of stock. They usually do free shipping over $75 so it might be worth checking back later for anyone wanting one in Canada. 

After following this thread for at least a year and having no need nor interest in this product, I have just been enabled to buy one.  To justify my purchase, I haven't bought any kitchen "toys" this year and this can replace some aging and less convenient appliances which will hopefully make me cook more.  Also had a $20 Best Buy discount.  Thank you very much, eGullet folks!:rolleyes:

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Cyberider said:

After following this thread for at least a year and having no need nor interest in this product, I have just been enabled to buy one.  To justify my purchase, I haven't bought any kitchen "toys" this year and this can replace some aging and less convenient appliances which will hopefully make me cook more.  Also had a $20 Best Buy discount.  Thank you very much, eGullet folks!:rolleyes:

We love to help!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1