• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

My ancient crockpot has reached a point of needing to be replaced. I no longer trust it to be left home alone while operating which, for me, is the entire point of having it. It's developed a condition where the outside of the unit gets as hot as the inside, you can't touch it for more than a quick second when running on "high". I'm considering the Instant Pot as the replacement because the pressure cooker I have is ancient as well so I could replace both with one device. I have no interest in the "Smart Bluetooth" model so I guess my question is, are there any good reasons for me to pay the additional $70 for the Ultra over the Duo 6 quart? The Duo is already considerably more costly than a new slow cooker so I'm not looking to go higher than that unless there are some really solid reasons why I should.

Edit: I'm sure this question has been answered many times but I'm not willing to read through hundreds of pages trying to find it. Apologies for my laziness. :$

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

@Tri2Cook 

its too bad the WS in Canada seems to be different that USA

w a free CC at WS   I ended up w a iPot delivered for 101 US

this one

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/instant-pot-duo-plus-pressure-cooker/?pkey=e|instant%2Bpot|4|best|4294967106|1|24|%2Finstant-pot%2Felectrics|1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH

as you get 20 % off the first purchase 

and 20 + 25 dollar ( US ) certificats

any way

the original iPot

will so all you want to do very well

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted Amazon link (log)

32 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

My ancient crockpot has reached a point of needing to be replaced. I no longer trust it to be left home alone while operating which, for me, is the entire point of having it. It's developed a condition where the outside of the unit gets as hot as the inside, you can't touch it for more than a quick second when running on "high". I'm considering the Instant Pot as the replacement because the pressure cooker I have is ancient as well so I could replace both with one device. I have no interest in the "Smart Bluetooth" model so I guess my question is, are there any good reasons for me to pay the additional $70 for the Ultra over the Duo 6 quart? The Duo is already considerably more costly than a new slow cooker so I'm not looking to go higher than that unless there are some really solid reasons why I should.

Edit: I'm sure this question has been answered many times but I'm not willing to read through hundreds of pages trying to find it. Apologies for my laziness. :$

You might want to hold off until Black Friday because I believe Amazon still does it on the Canadian site. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

You might want to hold off until Black Friday because I believe Amazon still does it on the Canadian site. 

That's not a problem, there's no hurry. Just trying to figure out which one I'd want. Less expensive is better unless there's good reason to spend more.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

get the original iPot

as mentioned above

you then can take your savings for an extra gasket

maybe the glass lid as you used to do SlowCooking

and of course , the most vital item would be the basket that sits above the 1 cup of water and

does pressure seaming.

PS is most impressive reason to own an iPot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

If I'm reading the description correctly, the IP Ultra allows you to adjust the temperature instead of just having it on Low, Medium and High. I have been looking for that feature in a slow cooker for a long time, and I wish I had it in my current IP.  Whether that's worth an additional $70 to you is something only you can answer.

Edited by Smithy
Added Amazon link (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

interesting

here is the manual

Ultra-Manual-English_-2017-web.pdf

you can DL it and look into it

you might be able to adjust three different pressures or not

but thats different on getting various temps for a slow cooker

it would be very nice if you are of the SlowCookerSchool to pic your slow temp for long cooks.

I have briefly looked at the manual

and as I have the newer NonUltra

in the box

the newer one might allow your to take into account your altitude.

mine , as in many things these days

is low.

@rotuts, I don't see a link to the manual.

That said, I've been perusing the Q&A on Amazon regarding the Ultra Pot.  Two sources (so far) have said that the slow-cooker mode can be set from 104F to 208F.  The saute function can be set from 104F to 338F, according to 1 source.  (I don't see an explanation as to how 104F could be considered a saute function.) There is also an altitude adjustment, as noted above.  It seems to be a very flexible machine.  Again, whether it's worth the extra $70 depends on the intended uses.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

The more I've used my IP the more I've come to appreciate it.  While I love cooking in my LeCreuset ovens and braisiers the IP is very efficient.  I have the six qt. model and the 3-qt. Is on my wish list.  

• Like 1

interesting

I went here first :

http://instantpot.com

then from there to here :

http://instantpot.com/portfolio_entries/ultra/

then to here :

https://support.instantpot.com

suport

https://instantpot.com/portfolio-item/ultra-2/

then I lost my way

then

instant pot ultra manual

then here 

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1253283/Instant-Pot-Ultra.html

I will tell you this :

despite the iP massive succes

they are still inovating

which is so fine

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lindag said:

The more I've used my IP the more I've come to appreciate it.  While I love cooking in my LeCreuset ovens and braisiers the IP is very efficient.  I have the six qt. model and the 3-qt. Is on my wish list.  

I find the same thing.  I love to cook conventionally but now I use the  IP routinely for things it does well.  Same thing for this new toy of mine, the air fryer.  Some appliances are just really good at what they do.  Heck, same thing goes for the little steam oven . All techniques can fit.  Just depends on what you are trying to achieve and how much time you have and how much clean up you want.

An example today.  I made lamb stew.  Hauled out the copper big sautéed pan to brown the pancetta , onions and meat.  Should have taken a picture but man was the mixture textbook camamerlized.  Then added the wine to reduce.  Transferred the whole lot to a clay pot to simmer very so gently for two hours.  OMG it turned out so well and the good thing was I felt in control which I would not have if I had used the IP.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

All techniques can fit.  Just depends on what you are trying to achieve and how much time you have and how much clean up you want.

This is so very true. There's a certain joy in being able to choose among many techniques and/or appliances. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

15 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I find the same thing.  I love to cook conventionally but now I use the  IP routinely for things it does well.  Same thing for this new toy of mine, the air fryer.  Some appliances are just really good at what they do.  Heck, same thing goes for the little steam oven . All techniques can fit.  Just depends on what you are trying to achieve and how much time you have and how much clean up you want.

An example today.  I made lamb stew.  Hauled out the copper big sautéed pan to brown the pancetta , onions and meat.  Should have taken a picture but man was the mixture textbook camamerlized.  Then added the wine to reduce.  Transferred the whole lot to a clay pot to simmer very so gently for two hours.  OMG it turned out so well and the good thing was I felt in control which I would not have if I had used the IP.

Okay, 

so then what are those " things it does well", that you'd consider it does better than those other methods?

for me

a key

w the basket insert   

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007SPKR8U/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you can pressure steam various veg , esp Root veg

Potatoes for  Mash ?  for P.Salad ?

fasster , better

why better ?

they are above the 1 cup water

therefore  you are not making Potato soup

ie  boiling them on the stove.

nothing the mater w potato soup

but a ton of flavor goes into the water that you toss out

if you want full flavored Mash

any Mash

that's enough  

but there are many other similar results

not everyting

meat  :  not for me  unless its a ground meat for a Ragu.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, weedy said:

Okay, 

so then what are those " things it does well", that you'd consider it does better than those other methods?

I think you cannot conflate those things it does "well" with those things it does "better".  If you have two or three days to devote to cooking some short ribs them  sous vide does them very well.  If you need to get dinner on the table within an hour or two then the IP can do them better.    Unless one has nothing but time on one's hands and nothing but money in one's bank one is always weighing  many factors to get a meal on the table.  Time, cost, logistics (two ovens would be a lovely but most of us only have one), preferences, availability of  ingredients, strength, stamina, handicaps.  So many, many things factor in to what is better and what is best or what is well and what is better.  Perfection should never stand in the way of what is good.xD

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Well, looking ahead to (Canadian) Thanksgiving next week - I think the IP would be really great, if not better, at making mashed potatoes ahead of time or last minute and keeping them warm. Not dry them out and free up oven/stove space, besides.

Speculation, of course, not having tried it myself yet. :P

@Anna N 

nice

but the best by far Mashed Potatoes

come from potatoes that are steamed rather than boiled.

iPot does this w one click and very fast.

of course  you have to do a few things after that

but its the best for MP's and  many other things.

provides me w plenty of unsupervised time  

i.e. Check the stove etc

for a glass or 4 of M.R.

suprise.gif.a5aa67be400b0a30540bf91bb80a2e1c.gif

3 hours ago, weedy said:

Okay, 

Here is what I found that the IP does better. Saturday I bought three beautiful big beets at the Farmers Market. I halved them and cooked them in the IP for 20 minutes. They cooked to perfection and I could peel them with a spoon. No mess!

20170923_140556.thumb.jpg.6d55b1fc309b3e8b515641abd975281b.jpg

I then steamed six eggs to make pickled eggs with the beet juice. Again, perfection. No cracked eggs and they peeled beautifully. I steamed diced carrots and potatoes together for three minutes to use to make an Olivier salad. I've always had to cook them separately before.

20170926_135939.thumb.jpg.af915e8d7c39254cc2d1cac0e1e70b7d.jpg

I poached a whole chicken to have the meat for things I want to make this week, deboned it and put the bones and the broth back in the IP to make chicken bone broth. I cooked some fresh red beans that I got at the farmer's market for dinner. Six minutes in the IP and they were perfect. I then made ham broth with some leftover Sorento ham  and a smoked ham chop with mushrooms from the market and the beet tops, combined it with the beans for soup. No photo. It wasn't all that pretty but it sure was good.

Sunday I made a Mexican bread pudding with some leftover chocolate cake. Also, not so pretty, but really good.

20170925_162749(1).thumb.jpg.886cfd489b1ce2de5e2befb101427f48.jpg

20170925_180652(1).thumb.jpg.add2f3fa83f03b3df7122006e9394fca.jpg

Today was maybe the best yet. I used the idea of kayb to make some eggs for Egg McMuffins. I've always made them in the microwave and they've always exploded. And I had to make them one by one. Then clean the microwave. I used ramekins so I had to make two batches, but even then, I think it took less time and the cleanup was practically nothing. And they are so much better! the ones in the top of the photo I cooked 6 minutes. Too much, so I cook the next batch 5 minutes and they were perfect. Thank you kayb.

20170926_122518.thumb.jpg.30e4d5f52340bf16c24f434a3327fb54.jpg

20170926_122808.thumb.jpg.a74d5571bfc426321a38575278d551dc.jpg

Not only did I save energy by not using my stove, microwave or convection oven, but my IP didn't heat up my kitchen. It's hot down here so for me, that's a big consideration. I'm able to use the IP for so many more things than I did my regular pressure cooker. Since I've had it, I've given away my rice cooker, a small electric cook pot, my electric roaster and my waffle iron. No, my IP doesn't make waffles. I just always hated that thing.

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Here is what I found that the IP does better. Saturday I bought three beautiful big beets at the Farmers Market. I halved them and cooked them in the IP for 20 minutes. They cooked to perfection and I could peel them with a spoon. No mess!

20170923_140556.thumb.jpg.6d55b1fc309b3e8b515641abd975281b.jpg

I then steamed six eggs to make pickled eggs with the beet juice. Again, perfection. No cracked eggs and they peeled beautifully. I steamed diced carrots and potatoes together for three minutes to use to make an Olivier salad. I've always had to cook them separately before.

I poached a whole chicken to have the meat for things I want to make this week, deboned it and put the bones and the broth back in the IP to make chicken bone broth. I cooked some fresh red beans that I got at the farmer's market for dinner. Six minutes in the IP and they were perfect. I then made ham broth with some leftover Sorento ham  and a smoked ham chop with mushrooms from the market and the beet tops, combined it with the beans for soup. No photo. It wasn't all that pretty but it sure was good.

Sunday I made a Mexican bread pudding with some leftover chocolate cake. Also, not so pretty, but really good.

Today was maybe the best yet. I used the idea of kayb to make some eggs for Egg McMuffins. I've always made them in the microwave and they've always exploded. And I had to make them one by one. Then clean the microwave. I used ramekins so I had to make two batches, but even then, I think it took less time and the cleanup was practically nothing. And they are so much better! the ones in the top of the photo I cooked 6 minutes. Too much, so I cook the next batch 5 minutes and they were perfect. Thank you kayb.

Not only did I save energy by not using my stove, microwave or convection oven, but my IP didn't heat up my kitchen. It's hot down here so for me, that's a big consideration. I'm able to use the IP for so many more things than I did my regular pressure cooker. Since I've had it, I've given away my rice cooker, a small electric cook pot, my electric roaster and my waffle iron. No, my IP doesn't make waffles. I just always hated that thing.

Brilliant!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

I'd really like to hear more

perhaps some Rx's

on those 

Egg Pucks in the iP

thanks !

also

@Tropicalsenior

a bit more on that Mexican Bread pudding

many thanks again

It couldn't be easier. Here's a picture of the equipment that I used. The ramekins are 8 oz. They are 3 1/4 inches inside diameter.

20170926_151630.thumb.jpg.aa74ee47e33935c0b4460b3e855cceb0.jpg

You're right when you called them egg pucks, at least the first batch. I cooked them 6 minutes and that was too much. They were tasty but a little bit chewy. Haven't tried it but they might even bounce. The second batch I cooked five minutes and they were perfect. For three ramekins, I used three eggs, about two tablespoons of milk and salt and pepper. I sprayed the ramekins and covered the bottom with shredded cheddar cheese. I did beat the eggs until they were really smooth.

For the Mexican Bread pudding, I used a 6 inch glass dish, three inches deep. I used, probably:

1 1/2 cups of leftover chocolate cake, cubed. It filled about half the dish.

1 1/2 cups whole milk

2 eggs

2 Tb. Sugar

1tsp. Cinnamon

1/2 tsp. Almond flavor

1 tsp. Vanilla

Beat the eggs, milk, sugar and flavorings together well. Pour over the cake and let it sit for about 10 minutes to let it soak up the milk. Put it on a rack in the IP and pour in one and a half to two cups of water, just so it comes up but not over the rack. I covered it with the lid in the picture and I cooked it on high for 20 minutes. I left it on natural release for 10 minutes, quick released it and took it out of the pot.

I make this with banana bread, any leftover quick bread, cinnamon bread, leftover cake and just vary seasonings or add some fruit.

if you feel so inclined, this chocolate pudding is also good with about a quarter cup of rum substituted for part of the milk.

Edited by Tropicalsenior
Addition (log)
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

I think you cannot conflate those things it does "well" with those things it does "better".  If you have two or three days to devote to cooking some short ribs them  sous vide does them very well.  If you need to get dinner on the table within an hour or two then the IP can do them better.    Unless one has nothing but time on one's hands and nothing but money in one's bank one is always weighing  many factors to get a meal on the table.  Time, cost, logistics (two ovens would be a lovely but most of us only have one), preferences, availability of  ingredients, strength, stamina, handicaps.  So many, many things factor in to what is better and what is best or what is well and what is better.  Perfection should never stand in the way of what is good.xD

I'm not arguing about whether those circumstances might decide a cooking method.

But that's entirely different from 'things it does BETTER'.

I do 72hr short ribs because it filed a result that is otherwise unattainable. That doesn't mean I can do that every day (nor would I want to), but it is clearly the 'best' or really only, way to get that result.

OTOH, I can bake potatoes (if you really think boiling them 'loses flavor') or microwave them when making mash... and end up with a near identical result.

And actually within a similar time frame in the  oven and in much less time in the micro.

I like the thing for pressure stocks, and as a rice (or polenta) cooker.

I'm not sure that makes me a convert.

• Like 1

Re: Olivier salad. Perhaps I'm sheltered, but I'd never heard of it. Sounds good (and potential variations are buzzing in my brain as I type). I have learned a New Thing. Today is therefore a worthwhile day.

Thanks, @Tropicalsenior. And I'm glad the egg pucks (LOVE the term!) worked for you. I highly recommend 'em with proscuitto on that English muffin (I keep accumulating 4-oz packages of proscuitto from Aldi and freezing them; cheap and good!).

Today I used my IP to:

• boil six eggs for deviled eggs I have not yet made
  • make rice pudding
  • and make beef curry with rice for dinner.

None were things I could not have done otherwise, but the convenience and time savings were well worthwhile. I don't know that I can think of anything I can do in it that I couldn't do otherwise, and for some things that many people use the IP, I still prefer the old-fashioned method, like carbonnades a la flamande or bouef Bourguignon, but it's a worthwhile device in my kitchen and I'm sold on it. Particularly with the little pot-in-pot stackable tiffin-style pans.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I'm not an Instant Pot owner myself but I thought those here would be interested that the NY Times has an article by Melissa Clark on living one year with the Instant Pot.

Short version:  she loves it but does not use the Instant Pot for everything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I think I found the link to the article @JoNorvelleWalkerrefers to in the above post. Warning, though. If you do not have a subscription, like I don't to the NY Times, you are limited to 10 free articles a month. So you might want to keep that in mind and follow any NYT links judiciously, depending on your interest.

This is the recent one I think Jo is referring to. And here is one from January of 2017 where Melissa Clark sets out to find out what all the buzz around the Instant Pot is about. Here is yet another one (undated that I could find) where Melissa tells how to use the pot. I found the last one so useful to this newbie owner of an IP I have bookmarked it, without any idea of whether I will be allowed to access the article twice without a subscription. :)

I'm not familiar with how the NYT paywall works, so if the links don't work for you, just Google "melissa clark instant pot" and they will be the first three things that come back on the search.

I'm trying to get a lot of information together before venturing out with my IP.  I used to be so scared of the old Presto aluminum stove top pressure cooker I had to cook with as a kid in the '60's. I can't find any pictures of it, but I swear it had a thick (and heavy) circular disk weight that sat on top of a stem valve in the middle of the lid of the pot. There were three pressure positions on the round weight with holes drilled around the circumference to fit the valve. These were the kind that would explode if not closely tended. I believe they were 5, 10 and 15 pounds of pressure, but wouldn't swear to that 50 years later. You had to wait for the weight to start wobbling, and then you knew it was up to pressure. God help you, if you let it get too hot. Food would be on the ceiling. Worrywart that I am, although it never happened to me personally, I haven't owned a PC of any kind since until this IP. I feel like I have catapulted reluctantly into the 21st century! xD

Does anyone remember the manual Presto aluminum pressure cookers I described above? @andiesenji?

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <