• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

25 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I don't know if Shelby made your cheesecake, but I did. I know that I am going to sound like that terrible neighbor that asks for the recipe, then tells you, “I changed this, left that out, and baked it half an hour longer and it turned out terrible. That was a bad recipe you gave me. You must have left something out”. But no, although I had to adapt the recipe proportions according to the pan that I had and use different flavoring ingredients, according to what I am able to get here, I followed your recipe and your clear-cut directions and it turned out great. Thank you. I have been looking for years for a good Savory cheesecake recipe and this one is perfect.

I had to substitute salmon for the sun dried tomatoes because, although I can get them here, they are a bit expensive and I didn't feel like selling my car to buy some. I substituted finely diced celery and fennel bulb for the scallions because my housemate is allergic to all onions and garlic. I seasoned it with fresh dill and a few drops of smoke flavor. It turned out beautifully.

This is the cheesecake as I turned it out of the pan. I would have posted pictures of it after it was sliced but I had guests and they ate it all.

It's beautiful and since it was all eaten , we know it was delicious!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad it worked for you. 

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

12 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I don't know if Shelby made your cheesecake, but I did. I know that I am going to sound like that terrible neighbor that asks for the recipe, then tells you, “I changed this, left that out, and baked it half an hour longer and it turned out terrible. That was a bad recipe you gave me. You must have left something out”. But no, although I had to adapt the recipe proportions according to the pan that I had and use different flavoring ingredients, according to what I am able to get here, I followed your recipe and your clear-cut directions and it turned out great. Thank you. I have been looking for years for a good Savory cheesecake recipe and this one is perfect.

I had to substitute salmon for the sun dried tomatoes because, although I can get them here, they are a bit expensive and I didn't feel like selling my car to buy some. I substituted finely diced celery and fennel bulb for the scallions because my housemate is allergic to all onions and garlic. I seasoned it with fresh dill and a few drops of smoke flavor. It turned out beautifully.

20170918_174319(1).thumb.jpg.ac6ac5e431404b0643f4564a794f9aea.jpg
This is the cheesecake as I turned it out of the pan. I would have posted pictures of it after it was sliced but I had guests and they ate it all.

beautiful!!

This is on my list to make in a few days.  Do you feel it would hold in the fridge for a couple of days or is it best to eat the same day it's made?

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

This is on my list to make in a few days.

I would definitely make this the day before I wanted to serve it, just to let the cake set up and to let the flavors meld. I would have no hesitation to keep this for about 4 days in the refrigerator.

I made mine with salmon and I wouldn't keep it more than 4 days. Anna's recipe might keep a couple days more, but if I planed to keep it for very long I would freeze it. This cake should freeze very well.

• Like 1

Article in the Globe & Mail today "Instant Pot is a sizzling success thanks to home cooks – and Amazon logistics".

I did not know the IP was designed in Canada, and also they didn't really advertise until about 2 yrs ago, relying on word of mouth. For my part, I impulse-bought mine, thanks to all you enablers here on eG!

• Like 3

@Beebs 

thanks for the ref.

I didn't know they advertise at all !

I wish the iPot group the best.

they seem to deserve it.

maybe they can talk the Anova Group

currently vacationing in BoraBora or its equivalent 

to get back to work 

on their Steam Oven

suprise.gif.7316eb0374f3dfb8b3cfaa23921c1864.gif

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Beebs said:

. For my part, I impulse-bought mine, thanks to all you enablers here on eG!

I got mine by accident to replace my other electric pressure cooker that blew up. And although mine is a Chinese knockoff, since the instant pot is also made in China I like to think of it as a brother or perhaps a cousin to the ones that all of you are using. But thanks to all you enablers, I plan to have my grandson bring me a mini pot the next time he comes to Costa Rica.

• Like 4

IMG_2018.thumb.JPG.2fcb3c27c1869dc3f3ee0211d62b174c.JPG

"Use it up soup" made in the Instant Pot.  No recipe. Found a smoked turkey bone and a couple of sausages in the freezer. Made some stock using up some Parmesan rinds. Tossed in some cooked and some raw vegetables. I think the Parmesan rinds make the soup. 

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

39 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I got mine by accident to replace my other electric pressure cooker that blew up. And although mine is a Chinese knockoff, since the instant pot is also made in China I like to think of it as a brother or perhaps a cousin to the ones that all of you are using. But thanks to all you enablers, I plan to have my grandson bring me a mini pot the next time he comes to Costa Rica.

You will love the mini!  I'm hoping they come out with a glass lid for it as it would be useful when I use some of the other functions, such as the show cooking one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I'm hoping they come out with a glass lid 

Look in thrift stores  and flea markets. I use a glass lid that fits an odd sized cast iron skillet that I have. it took me quite a while to find it but what I did was to take an old tape measure and cut it to the exact size I needed. I stuck it in my purse and every time I saw a lid that looked like it might work, I whipped the tape out and measured it. I finally found the right one and, by my good luck, it also fits my instant pot.

Edited by Tropicalsenior
Self editing (log)
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

You will love the mini!  I'm hoping they come out with a glass lid for it as it would be useful when I use some of the other functions, such as the show cooking one.

They did.    It is currently out of stock but they do make it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

They did.    It is currently out of stock but they do make it. 

Well son of a gun!  The last time I checked Amazon there wasn't a listing for it, only one for the 6 quart.  They are taking orders for it so I have put mine in.  Thank you.

Edited to add:  no date on delivery of the lid but I also placed an order for extra sealing rings.  Estimated delivery date for that is Dec. 6 through February, 2018.

Edited by ElsieD (log)

16 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Well son of a gun!  The last time I checked Amazon there wasn't a listing for it, only one for the 6 quart.  They are taking orders for it so I have put mine in.  Thank you.

Edited to add:  no date on delivery of the lid but I also placed an order for extra sealing rings.  Estimated delivery date for that is Dec. 6 through February, 2018.

Fortunately they often revise those  delivery dates down.  I ordered something and was given an October 5-29 delivery date but have just been informed it's shipped and is on its way. I found the lid because I was surfing Amazon.ca. A very dangerous occupation not helped at all by all the enablers here.xD  I got as far as putting things in my cart but resisted pushing the buy button. 

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

30 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Fortunately they often revise those  delivery dates down.  I ordered something and was given an October 5-29 delivery date but have just been informed it's shipped and is on its way. I found the lid because I was surfing Amazon.ca. A very dangerous occupation not helped at all by all the enablers here.xD  I got as far as putting things in my cart but resisted pushing the buy button. 

Are they still in your cart?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Are they still in your cart?

Yep. 

My 2004 eG Blog

50 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Yep. 

I usually take an extra step.  First, they become part of my "wish list".  One example of this would be the USA muffin tin that I put on my wish list a looooong time ago, like last Tuesday.  Then, when I order something I really need, like the IP lid, I check my wish list, which forces me to actually take the extra step of transferring it from my wish list to my cart.  I then pause to take 3 seconds to reflect on the total purchase (this is where I ask myself if I really need the items I am about to order and the answer is usually a resounding "hell, yes!)  before I press the "submit order" button.   See, that way nothing gets ordered without sober second thought.  You may wish to try this.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I usually take an extra step.  First, they become part of my "wish list".  One example of this would be the USA muffin tin that I put on my wish list a looooong time ago, like last Tuesday.  Then, when I order something I really need, like the IP lid, I check my wish list, which forces me to actually take the extra step of transferring it from my wish list to my cart.  I then pause to take 3 seconds to reflect on the total purchase (this is where I ask myself if I really need the items I am about to order and the answer is usually a resounding "hell, yes!)  before I press the "submit order" button.   See, that way nothing gets ordered without sober second thought.  You may wish to try this.

Ah, but my rationalization skills would put me in the poorhouse in about a week. xD  You may still have a ways to go to catch up. xD

• Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

37 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Ah, but my rationalization skills would put me in the poorhouse in about a week. xD  You may still have a ways to go to catch up. xD

It's always nice to have something to strive for.9_9  I'll do my best.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

I don't even want to hear it. You already cost me nine bucks plus tonight for the Six Seasons book. Like I need another freakin' cookbook on my Kindle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

So no photograph yet. But I did make the beef curry from the  Indian Instant Pot Cookbook. 

Click.   I did not use the cilantro and there are a couple of minor differences from the  one in the book. The book calls for only 1 pound of beef. And I suggest you go easy on that 1/2 tsp  of cayenne unless you're a huge fan. 

I wasn't expecting to be impressed.  I'm not bragging when I say that I was the recipe tester for member @Monica Bhide  some years ago so I know a little bit about Indian food.  I tested 300 recipes in 90 days!  

And so tossing all the sauce ingredients including the spices into the blender and then pouring the lot on top of some raw beef and pressing the manual button  struck me as likely to be a waste of perfectly good food. 

I am still not prepared to say that I've never had a better beef curry because I have.  But if you're challenged for time or for physical reasons add this one to your collection of Indian dishes. 

It is not nearly as one dimensional as I expected and thevbeef is beautifully tender. I used boneless crossrib and trimmed and cubed it myself.  That was probably the most complicated and time-consuming part of the whole recipe. If you have access to good stewing beef you could skip that altogether. 

I am quite convinced that this will improve even more if it spends the night in the fridge.  And besides I want to make some flat bread to go with it.  So watch for a photograph later. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, lindag said:

Can anyone say if the Indian ingredients are easy to find in stores?

It's almost impossible to say without knowing something about your stores. But here the only thing that I might have some difficulty with would be the cardamom pods in regular supermarkets. For the black cloves just use cloves (I have never heard of a black variety). You might even be able to find a garam masala already mixed.  But of course I cannot guarantee what you can find in your supermarkets. 

My 2004 eG Blog

55 minutes ago, Anna N said:

It's almost impossible to say without knowing something about your stores. But here the only thing that I might have some difficulty with would be the cardamom pods in regular supermarkets. For the black cloves just use cloves (I have never heard of a black variety). You might even be able to find a garam masala already mixed.  But of course I cannot guarantee what you can find in your supermarkets. 

Based on those examples I think I'll be OK.  Thanks for the help.

• Like 1