• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

@Mmmpomps   You continue to amaze me with your innovative use of the Instant Pot. 

Thanks Anna! To be honest I'm a bit of a messy cook...as in a tornado hit the kitchen when I'm free styling without the Instant pot! I find I use way less dishes, pots, pans and utensils when I only utilize my Instant Pot's. (Yes I said pot'S , I have two now )

PS I'm a full on carnivore but to be honest the best part of this meal was the garlicky green beans...they still had just enough bite to them.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, lindag said:

I keep thinking I really need another Ipot (the 3 qt. model) but I'm trying to resist since I already own several (6) PCs.

Six Instant Pots. That's damn impressive. I'm fond of mine, but have no wish for another.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 04/09/2017 at 11:15 AM, Tropicalsenior said:

I don't pretend to understand this disease but you certainly have my sympathy. It must be terrible to live with, especially if you love food.

I don't see why this recipe couldn't be modified. Just use any gluten free cookie for the crust and the flour can be left out of the filling or substituted with any gluten free flour. The cake will just be a little more creamy. I have made this cake four times and it has been perfect each time.

Instant Pot New York Cheesecake

Crust
3/4 cup any type of shortbread cookie (crushed)
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup butter melted
Filling
16 oz cream cheese room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon lemon peel grated
2 eggs room temperature
1/4 cup sour cream
1 pinch salt
Sour Cream Layer
1/2 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons sugar

Crust
Add cookies and sugar to the bowl of food processor and pulse a couple of times, until small crumbs form. Melt butter in microwave and add to cookie mixture. Pulse until just combined.
Pour cookie mixture into bottom of greased 8-inch cheesecake pan and press the mixture firmly into the bottom of the pan and no more than one inch up along the sides.
Place pan with crust into freezer for 20 minutes while you mix up the filling.
Filling
Blend together cream cheese, sugar, heavy cream, flour, grated peels, salt and vanilla extract until smooth.
Add eggs, one at a time, lightly mixing until just combined. Do not over mix the eggs.
Pour filling into the pan, on top of the crust.
Add 1 1/2 cups of water to the bottom of your pressur cooker and place a trivet inside the pot.
Cover the cheesecake first with a paper towel and then with a piece of aluminum foil and loosely secure the foil.
Place cheesecake into pressure cooker.
Lock on lid and close Pressure Valve.  Cook at High Pressure for 35 minutes. Allow a 20 minute natural release.
After all pressure has been released, open pressure cooker and leave the cake the cooker. Remove the foil and paper towel. Tilt the cheesecake pan and dab off any liquid that may have accumulated.
Sour Cream Layer
Whisk together the sour cream and sugar and then spread on the hot cheesecake.  Let cool inside the pressure cooker for at least one hour.
Tightly cover and place in refrigerator overnight.  Cheesecake can be removed from pan after an hour in the refrigerator.

Note: the gentler that you treat the ingredients, the denser the cake will be. If you want a creamier cheesecake whip the cream cheese sugar and sour cream together, but never whip in the eggs. This will cause air bubbles in the cake that you do not want!

As I said, I took the procedure and most of the recipe from this website: https://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-new-york-cheesecake/  and it is well worth reading her instructions and tips at this site: https://thisoldgal.com/perfect-pressure-cooker-cheesecake-tips/

20170903_154321.jpg

Thank you very much @Tropicalseniorfor the recipe, very kind of you. When I get a break in my current cooking schedule I will give it a go. I have the coeliac under control for the most part, I just make most of what I eat. D

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

In Costa Rica, so many of our products come directly from China and reading the instruction manuals can be very entertaining. I think probably one of the funniest we ever found was this, " look at her face, punch her 3 times, and sit on her". That was in the instructions for setting a digital alarm clock.

Yes, hilarious! xD

Not helpful at all though. :| It is sad that this has become the norm, when I have owners manuals for stuff like my American made CrockPot from the '80's that still serves me very well. The little manual not only gives very helpful instructions, but recipes that turn out well. Don't mind me, though, I'm just a pesky Luddite that actually expects things to work well, last and have helpful instructions to operate them, especially as it seems to me things are getting more and more unnecessarily complicated as we march boldly into our futures. I need to get with the program, but my good sense seems to always get in the way. :)

> ^ . . ^ <

3 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Don't mind me, though, I'm just a pesky Luddite that actually expects things to work well, last and have helpful instructions to operate them, especially as it seems to me things are getting more and more unnecessarily complicated

My Chinese knockoff pot almost went back to the store the next day just because of the instruction manual but thanks to the hundreds of fans of the instant pot, I have been able to use it and I love it. Interesting, my concern wasn't that it had been made in China (the real instant pot is also made in China) it was that I would never figure out how to use it. I love the time-saving convenience of today's appliances but it seems that each one that comes out is more complicated and more difficult to learn to use. I drive a 15 year old car because it doesn't have to be pre-programmed to get me there and back.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

It is sad that this has become the norm, when I have owners manuals for stuff like my American made CrockPot from the '80's that still serves me very well. The little manual not only gives very helpful instructions, but recipes that turn out well.

How funny!  I think I have the very same little manual tucked away in a bookshelf.  I, too, found those recipes useful and have kept it all this time while most other manuals have long ago been tossed.

• Like 1

Meatballs with mushroom onion gravy, mashed potatoes and corn. One pot had mushroom, onions and garlic sauteed while I made the meatballs. Brown balls and add a cup of beef stock...manual high pressure for 7 minute with 10 minutes of natural pressure release.
Pot two had cubed spuds with skin, 1/4 chopped onion , chunk of butter and add milk or cream and lots of salt. Put some husked corn on top and manual high pressure for 5 minutes with quick release. Mash spuds and adjust seasoning. It looks curdled but its fine when you mash her up.
It looks like the dogs dinner...but a fine dogs dinner :)

111111111111111.jpg

1111111111111111111.jpg

• Like 10

Still trying to use up some venison burger before the season starts.  I had both pots going last night.

Stuffed bell peppers--burger, an egg, tomato sauce (I used the last of Vivian's cocktail tomatoes from Deep Run Roots),rice, onion, bell pepper, salt, pepper.  Layered in some slices of sharp cheddar cheese.  15 mins.  High pressure Natural release--cheese put on top after the NR and then I put the lid back on to melt it.

IMG_3717.JPG.cbdbed1743e4cd9c7a91bafd3a7986cc.JPG

Porcupine meatballs--basically the same recipe as above minus the cheese.  Same cook time as above.

59b3ed561a0f8_FullSizeRender35.jpg.6588239e0e88d8fe7ab5a030981ad2e4.jpg

• Like 6

Yesterday I made marmalade in my instant pot. And if I do have to say so myself, it turned out great. I use the directions from this site: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1yCXjCzDnfE&feature=youtu.be and I modified it for the instant pot. I cooked the whole fruit for one hour on high pressure, let it release naturally, and after the chopped peels and sugar were combined, I let it boil on saute, high, until it reached the jelling point. I have used this method several times the conventional way and I must say, this is the easiest, best batch that I have ever made. This recipe is so good!

I used two pink grapefruit, two navel oranges and one large lemon. It was just the right amount for the pot.

20170910_063254(1).jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I forgot to add that I did need to use a splatter screen on top of the pot while it was boiling. It spits stuff all over. Don't use a lid because it impedes evaporation. It will take forever to jell and the flavor well not be as fresh and bright.

Thanks for sharing - I love marmalade!  That recipe sounds interesting, although I'm not sure I like the part about needing the screen.  I used this recipe a couple of times to make marmalade and no issues with that, though it was a bit of a pain to pick out all the seeds from a batch of very seedy lemons!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

though it was a bit of a pain to pick out all the seeds from a batch of very seedy lemons!

I was lucky. Both the grapefruit and the oranges were seedless. I saw your recipe and passed it by  because, like you said, not only are you picking out lots of seeds, but you're picking out pieces of seeds. Besides, I'm scared to death of mandolins. Once bit, you know.

• Like 2

If anyone has cooked pig cheeks in the IP, could they please post here how they cooked them?  I searched and found mention of braising them but couldn't really find anything specific.  I was going to cook them sous vide but directions for that are all over the map so I thought I might try them in the IP.

8 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

If anyone has cooked pig cheeks in the IP, could they please post here how they cooked them?  I searched and found mention of braising them but couldn't really find anything specific.  I was going to cook them sous vide but directions for that are all over the map so I thought I might try them in the IP.

What flavor profile are you looking for? Asian, Southern, Mexican? Couldn't you treat them similar to pork belly? There are some really great recipes out there for pork belly. I think that's what I would do and maybe just shorten the cooking time. You can always go longer if you need it, but you can't undo it if you cook them too long.

19 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

What flavor profile are you looking for? Asian, Southern, Mexican? Couldn't you treat them similar to pork belly? There are some really great recipes out there for pork belly. I think that's what I would do and maybe just shorten the cooking time. You can always go longer if you need it, but you can't undo it if you cook them too long.

Thanks for responding.  I'm not looking for a particular flavour profile, so it is not a recipe I am looking for.  I am mainly looking for some guidance on how to cook them in the IP.  For example, high pressure at 20 minutes followed by a braise for 60?  No braise?  Low pressure only?  I have never in my life cooked these things but i bought some from my butcher on the weekend and am keen to try them.  At $27.51 a kilo I don't want to ruin them.  The only time i have worked with pork belly is when i used to cure and smoke it for bacon.

@ElsieD

Id like to see how they turn out in the iP

pardon me for Butting in ....

do you SV ?

if not go for it.

for me iP  works well for ground meat sauces   i.e. Ragu    and BabyBackRibs, of all things

other meats do better SV  id say.

Ive been trying to find Cheeks for a long time to make SV Cheek pastrami 

@rotuts  when I bought the pig cheeks I also bought 6 week dry aged beef braising ribs.  They will get cooked sous vide starting tonight, so sousvide cheeks are not an option this time.  Also coming from the butcher this week are beef cheeks.  I have never cooked them either but Douglas Baldwin covers that topic.  Off topic a bit,  he also had ox tails.  The butcher, not Mr. Baldwin. Wish I had snapped those up.

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 2