• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

25 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Im wondering if anyone have gotten the ' new ' IP :

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Multi-Functional-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B01NBKTPTS/ref=pd_sim_79_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01NBKTPTS&pd_rd_r=K1PWB5NK7KKH1XAN3EGX&pd_rd_w=Okgxg&pd_rd_wg=RHZQK&psc=1&refRID=K1PWB5NK7KKH1XAN3EGX

and

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y1MP2PY?ref=emc_b_5_t

it seems to have an altitude adjustment and maybe more programability

I guess this is why the 7 in 1 is down to $ 99

If something happened to my current version I would certainly want to buy the new one but at the moment I just don't see where I would personally benefit much from the added functionality.  

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

ditto

IO have to look up   ( in the red book )

times for eggs , potatoes etc

its not that hard to do

perhaps the programing capabilities might take care of that w the new one ?

Im guessing the new one has a much updated software and interface

but the 7 - 1 can do all that the new ones do , w manual control

27 minutes ago, rotuts said:

ditto

IO have to look up   ( in the red book )

times for eggs , potatoes etc

its not that hard to do

perhaps the programing capabilities might take care of that w the new one ?

Im guessing the new one has a much updated software and interface

but the 7 - 1 can do all that the new ones do , w manual control

Exactly. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to using the stacked steamer/tiffin insert. I think I'm going to like this creature.

Ingredients for butter chicken, in one pan, basmati rice in the other.

59559bb2e279b_readytostack0629.jpg.b543540a8f98b22cf7c3d6ed091bffb3.jpg

Stacked and ready. I set these on a trivet, although their rack has little feet that would hold it up a bit. Comes almost to top of pot.

59559c437b4ea_IPinsertpans-629.jpg.d857b9b213d618f39e933ea4c02414c2.jpg

Stacked and ready to go in the pot.

59559c7570ddb_butterchicken20629.png.9d20260c53d6cc03083dc380f46870d0.png

After 10 minutes manual high pressure, 20 minutes NPR (because I was doing something else).

59559ca2b3efe_butterchicken0629.jpg.7335d1e3f6533103bc45bab2f5cfeddc.jpg

Finished product. A tad too salty. Other than that, decent. Rice was just a teeny bit too al dente for my tastes, ditto chicken (it was frozen when I put it in). I might perhaps go 12 minutes next time. I'll cut the salt and finish the sauce with a bit of honey; I like that sweet taste like I get from the takeout place.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

IMG_0558.thumb.JPG.af571ea10e7e4037a064a610acbdf5e2.JPG

Instant Pot Porcupine Meatballs - did not brown the meatballs before cooking - Manual, High Pressure for 15 minutes, Natural Release for 15 minutes. Very happy with the results. Plated meal on the Dinner Topic.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 6

I have Made A Discovery. 

I have been making yogurt using dry milk powder for a year. My standard ratio I s two cups milk powder to eight cups water.

Today as I was making my weekly batch, I thought, why add eight cups water when you're going to strain it to thicken it when it's done, anyway? So I used only 4 cups water with two cups powder.

Luscious, creamy yogurt. No need to strain, just poured off the little bit of separated whey.

Anxious for breakfast.

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

Update: No discernable difference in flavor, but a discernable difference in creaminess. This is exceptionally creamy yogurt. Will do this from now on. I guess the yogurt strainer is relegated to ricotta.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

I liked this article from the WSJ: Can the Instant Pot Cook as Well as Julia Child?

Not sure if there's a paywall, so my summary:   Article author buys Instant Pot, uses it for a few braises and beans and stashes it on the shelf.  She gives a fair assessment of the units strengths and weaknesses but is seemingly bored with ..." the economy-focused advice and down-home recipes dispensed on message boards and blogs."  She decides to revisit the IP and brings it along to a family vacation where she boils eggs, makes a quick strawberry compote and finally puts together a full dinner from Julia Child's “Mastering The Art of French Cooking” (links to the IP-adapted recipes are in the article):
Homard à l’Americaine (Lobster with Wine, Tomatoes, Garlic and Herbs)
Soubise (Sweet Onion Risotto)
Ratatouille (Eggplant Casserole With Tomatoes, Onions, Peppers, and Zucchini)
Gâteau Reine de Saba (Queen of Sheba Cake)

Conclusions:

With the Instant Pot, this really rather grand meal had come together with minimal sweat, figuratively as well as literally.

Will my Instant Pot face many more bouts in this weight class? Probably not. But it’s nice to know how far I can push it. And I’ll never again head to the beach without it.

• Like 5

I saw this recipe and wondered, does anyone think this would make a good macaroni salad?

I've only ever used CI's 'Modern Macaroni Salad' (or similar).

Do you think this would work, and, would it be good?

https://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/pressure-cooker-amish-macaroni-salad/print/

Edited by lindag (log)

I'm an instant pot user and pleased with it.

However I'm allergic to eggs so I would omit them from the above recipe. 

So I have to ask, is this an efficicient use of this machine to cook 1 1/2 cups of pasta?

p

I just impulse-bought one on Amazon Prime Day - hooray!  I do not have a square inch to put it anywhere in my kitchen. Finding a spot for it will be interesting.

Anyway, what's the first thing I should make with it? Something simple, to get a feel for it.  Curry? Stew? Beans??

When I have a bit more time, I will be combing through the all the Instant Pot topics.

an add-on item that 

revolution-izes  the

iPot

is a steamer basket

I have one gifted to me

and this one :

https://www.amazon.com/RSVP-Endurance-Stainless-Steel-Basket/dp/B007SPKR8U

I do have this

and use it for straining

lower down on this URL

a genius suggested that you do not need to snap off the

butter-fly handles 

just bend them

nice id say

a basket for pressure-steaming

above the one cup of water

is just soooo soooo much better

for many things.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

I passed on the amazon prime day IP.  I'm still not convinced it would do something new for me.  Your mileage may very.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

It arrived!! :wub: 

Sadly, I won't be able to bring it home till the weekend, as I don't have the car and I had it delivered to my office. It'll give me time to look up stuff to make in it. So far, DH has requested Taiwanese Beef Noodles.  But I'll likely start with something simple like chickpeas or rice, to break it in.

Still haven't found a spot for it, but DH wants to get rid of our rice cooker and put the IP in its spot, which I am loath to do. Rather fond and sentimental about it. 

Popular item - our postal carrier said she'd already delivered 3 IPs in this block alone!

Edited by Beebs (log)
  • Like 4

We are currently enjoying running out to the garden, finding potatoes around the dried potato plants, scrubbing off the skin and steaming in the IP.  So wonderful, all the potato flavour retained.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned here but it appears the Instant Pot people plan to introduce a mini 3qt Instant Potir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B06Y1YD5W, currently priced at $69 on Amazon.com (CDN$89 on Amazon.ca)

Blogger "This Old Gal" has a review up on her site  with some comparison photos.

Please don't do this!   I don't need another one. Not even a baby. But.....

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog