• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

I haven't purchased a lot of accessories for my IP (a glass lid, a longer-legged trivet), but this just looked too handy to pass up. Seems like it'd be perfect for things like rice and a main dish together. I think I'll try it with some variety of chicken and rice this weekend.

593aaf0b532ca_IPinsertpans-6-7.jpg.7413a7bd0653ae4a1770e09a0adfd638.jpg

Besides, it's cute.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

18 minutes ago, kayb said:

I haven't purchased a lot of accessories for my IP (a glass lid, a longer-legged trivet), but this just looked too handy to pass up. Seems like it'd be perfect for things like rice and a main dish together. I think I'll try it with some variety of chicken and rice this weekend

Do report back!  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Do report back!  

Yes, please report back especially about the timing using the two pots together... I  bought this tiffin as well and I love using the carrier to lift things out of the pot instead of slings.  I'm using the lower pot.often especially for reheating, but when I use the two pots together the pot on top seems to take allot longer so I can't rely on recipe times I've been using.  I'd love to hear the experiences and the timing adjustments if any, of those using the two pots together.

interestinfg

I do both russet and red bliss potatoes in the IP and cook and keep in the refrig

I also do eggs  HB  18 at a time , rapidly cool  and keep in the refirg

then assemble the potato salad from those items

however   

all data is useful

Im so attempted to get an IP Spare !

21 hours ago, lindag said:

Check this out!  Pressure cooker potato salad sounds terrific!

When I was working on recipes for my book, I experimented with potatoes and eggs for potato salad. The only way I could get it to work without the potatoes turning into mush was to use medium sized red potatoes, quartered. They cooked in the same time as the eggs, and then I just broke them up with a big fork when making the salad. I think that cubed russets would disintegrate in the time it takes to cook the eggs.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JAZ said:

When I was working on recipes for my book, I experimented with potatoes and eggs for potato salad. The only way I could get it to work without the potatoes turning into mush was to use medium sized red potatoes, quartered. They cooked in the same time as the eggs, and then I just broke them up with a big fork when making the salad. I think that cubed russets would disintegrate in the time it takes to cook the eggs.

Yes I was completely taken aback by the idea of using russets for potato salad anyway but that's just a personal hangup of mine I'm guessing.   I did try the recipe yesterday with some white potatoes (waxy type) and it works remarkably well.  I didn't post at the time because I was not impressed with my photograph but here it is:

image.jpeg.2f0717ce24036f45c5d3331e6f8b67eb.jpeg

The potatoes were perfectly cooked as were the eggs. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Ive used both types for PS.

I also don't peel them , just de-blemish them

some might not like the idea of potato skin in their PS , esp. russets

but I think it adds flavor.

and indeed you have to be careful w the russets in the IP so they stay firm

other wise  both are good , just a bit different 

I don't think I've ever used another kind of potato besides a russet for potato salad. o.O  Somewhere in one of these IP threads I did the eggs and taters together and it worked like a charm.  I'll have to go back and try to find my post.

Last night I used my new thingy for the first time.  I LOVE it.  I pressure cooked some gizzards.  Very easy to get in and out of the IP and nothing stuck to the pans.

5940120de279b_photo140.JPG.541de2a2daf36ded136493d1604c3fff.JPG

Also, yesterday Ronnie pressure cooked some country ham and then used the grinder on it.  I made a huge and very good batch of ham salad.  

59401278a0967_photo141.JPG.c479c33f38189b962364ffa07a2a7b72.JPG

Then I added some pasta to some of the salad and made ham pasta salad to go with dinner

59401284a5eac_photo142.JPG.54306de9228667bcabc1deb6b9dda910.JPG

Good stuff.

• Like 7

On 6/7/2017 at 4:53 PM, Shelby said:

I got a new accessory for my IP today.  It fits perfectly. I think I'm going to love it.

It has 3 "trays".  

59386751aaebc_photo119.JPG.b49b34b6c01709821a6a96ebdbaad4ed.JPG

To slide them out you move one of the bracket thingys over

5938675a046e0_photo122.JPG.41d11b451e7a41c8450f5bfcec474c0f.JPG

5938675f3630d_photo123.JPG.52f9a5951aef21b2244aa18648e47f15.JPG

59386766d2253_photo131.JPG.ac54740673d67c6cfd9fccbf43598a4f.JPG

Here is the link on Amazon.

Looks very tempting... collecting inserts for my instant pot has started to become an obsession...

How tall are the individual plates?

I'm making Swiss steak in the Ipot now...chuck steak, potatoes, carrot, onion and canned Italian tomato, slow cooking.

the aroma is intoxicatingly.

it's a cool, wet day here and Swiss steak seemed like a comforting dish for a gloomy day.

Used my new non-stick inner pot which worked beautifully.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 3

On 6/9/2017 at 0:44 PM, saluki said:

Yes, please report back especially about the timing using the two pots together... I  bought this tiffin as well and I love using the carrier to lift things out of the pot instead of slings.  I'm using the lower pot.often especially for reheating, but when I use the two pots together the pot on top seems to take allot longer so I can't rely on recipe times I've been using.  I'd love to hear the experiences and the timing adjustments if any, of those using the two pots together.

Still haven't used it yet. :$ It's been a rather hectic month to this point, and promises to be so for the remainder of the month. Perhaps I will get to it, not next week, when I'm going to be gone most of the week, but the following. I'm thinking butter chicken with rice; would you put the rice in the bottom pan, or the top?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

42 minutes ago, curls said:

Took me awhile to join the club but now I have made ricotta cheese in my Instant Pot!  So, what are all of you doing with the whey?

If I am on my toes and the moon is in the right quarter I use it to replace the liquid in a bread recipe. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm on my third batch of yogurt made using the Instant Pot, and based on the first two batches I'm very pleased with the ease of making it and the final product.

I've tried using the whey in bread baking. I read somewhere (probably here) that the whey from yogurt is considered "sour" (it certainly is tart!) whereas the ricotta whey is "sweet".  What difference might that make to the bread?  So far my bread using yogurt whey may have a tighter crumb than if I only use water, whether I want it to or not, but I'm not sure I can tell a difference otherwise.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

8 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I have used the ricotta whey in place of stock in risotto but I my usual MO is to save it for a while before it goes down the drain :( to make room in the fridge for some other item :$

Yup.  Happens all too often.  

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Smithy said:

What difference might that make to the bread?  So far my bread using yogurt whey may have a tighter crumb than if I only use water, whether I want it to or not, but I'm not sure I can tell a difference otherwise.

I don't notice that it makes a great deal of difference to the bread but it makes me feel doubly virtuous if I make my own bread AND use the whey  from another project. Surely  that must count for something. :)

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Im wondering if anyone have gotten the ' new ' IP :

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Multi-Functional-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B01NBKTPTS/ref=pd_sim_79_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01NBKTPTS&pd_rd_r=K1PWB5NK7KKH1XAN3EGX&pd_rd_w=Okgxg&pd_rd_wg=RHZQK&psc=1&refRID=K1PWB5NK7KKH1XAN3EGX

and

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y1MP2PY?ref=emc_b_5_t

it seems to have an altitude adjustment and maybe more programability

I guess this is why the 7 in 1 is down to $ 99

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1