• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shelby

Shelby

3 hours ago, TdeV said:

Please tell me why collards in an IP are special. And how do you cook them?

Kim and Shelby, you two are so alike--a joy to watch! And thanks so much for your endless supply of lovely photos. Sorry, rotuts, I couldn't edit you out of the quote.

That is so nice!  Kim is awesome and such a great cook, mom, wife and daughter and friend , so to be compared to her is the highest compliment!

Collards generally take hours and hours to cook until tender on the stove top.  Of course, it depends--if you pick young leaves that don't have the tough "stem" running down the middle, or you tear that part out, then it lessens the time.  The IP lessens that time a LOT.

If I feel like the collards are tough--meaning big older leaves--then I do  an hour and a half in the IP.   Not so tough, I do an hour.  Natural release on high.

I like to put a bit of oil in the IP and turn it on low saute.  Wait until that's hot and add some diced onion.  If using some diced bacon, throw that in after the onion cooks for a couple of minutes.  Then some diced garlic.  Saute for a minute or two.  Don't burn the garlic.  Turn off the IP and put in the collards while it's still hot and toss the leaves, onions and garlic and bacon around.  Add a cup or two of beef broth.  Some salt and pepper depending on how salty you like it.  High for the hour or hour and a half.  Natural release.

As an alternative to bacon, ham hock or ham bits are great.  Add them right before starting the IP for the cooking time with the collards.

edited to add---a bit of hot sauce like Louisiana Hot Sauce or Tobasco Sauce put in is good. Some people add a couple splashes of cider vinegar or red wine vinegar to the finished greens.

Shelby

Shelby

3 hours ago, TdeV said:

Please tell me why collards in an IP are special. And how do you cook them?

Kim and Shelby, you two are so alike--a joy to watch! And thanks so much for your endless supply of lovely photos. Sorry, rotuts, I couldn't edit you out of the quote.

That is so nice!  Kim is awesome and such a great cook, mom, wife and daughter and friend , so to be compared to her is the highest compliment!

Collards generally take hours and hours to cook until tender on the stove top.  Of course, it depends--if you pick young leaves that don't have the tough "stem" running down the middle, or you tear that part out, then it lessens the time.  The IP lessens that time a LOT.

If I feel like the collards are tough--meaning big older leaves--then I do  an hour and a half in the IP.   Not so tough, I do an hour.  Natural release on high.

I like to put a bit of oil in the IP and turn it on low saute.  Wait until that's hot and add some diced onion.  If using some diced bacon, throw that in after the onion cooks for a couple of minutes.  Then some diced garlic.  Saute for a minute or two.  Don't burn the garlic.  Turn off the IP and put in the collards while it's still hot and toss the leaves, onions and garlic and bacon around.  Add a cup or two of beef broth.  Some salt and pepper depending on how salty you like it.  High for the hour or hour and a half.  Natural release.

As an alternative to bacon, ham hock or ham bits are great.  Add them right before starting the IP for the cooking time with the collards.