• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TdeV

TdeV

Clarity

I've just finished the eGullet threads on dried beans, but have not yet read all the threads on Instant Pot, so mea culpa for asking questions to which many know the answers. My friend and I now have Ultra 6 Quart Instant Pot and are experimenting. I am still at the stage where I turn off the machine, or fail to turn it on, only to discover that I am now 25 minutes late!

I internet-ed (surely a good verb) Boeuf Bourguignon and used several recipes as a source. I think the authors were trying to do the whole dish in one pot. I differed in that
-- one bottle of Four Vines Zinfandel was reduced to less than half original volume on the stove before the pressure cook;
-- meat was sautéed in a large pan on the stove, and it was quite browned on some (not all) sides. (I was trying to start Maillaird reaction, but I didn't sear meat evenly, thinking that's not so important).

Several recipes listed about 35 minutes at high pressure, but one author said to check the *cut* of meat against the table of cooking times, and use that table (though different authors have different tables!). One book listed 22 minutes, so I picked 12.

It smelled delicious. However, I thought the meat was overdone.

A few days later my friend told me that her husband (an excellent cook) said the meat had not spent enough time with the sauce.

Or was it the way I sautéed the meat?

TdeV

TdeV

grammer

I've just finished the eGullet threads on dried beans, but have not yet read all the threads on Instant Pot, so mea culpa for asking questions to which many know the answers. My friend and I now have Ultra 6 Quart Instant Pot and are experimenting. I am still at the stage where I turn off the machine, or fail to turn it on, only to discover that I am now 25 minutes late!

I internet-ed (surely a good verb) Boeuf Bourguignon and used several recipes as a source. I think the authors were trying to do the whole dish in one pot. I differed in that
-- one bottle of Four Vines Zinfandel was reduced to less than half original volume on the stove;
-- meat was sautéed in a large pan on the stove, and it was quite browned on some (not all) sides. (I was trying to start Maillaird reaction, but I didn't sear meat evenly, thinking that's not so important).

Several recipes listed about 35 minutes at high pressure, but one author said to check the *cut* of meat against the table of cooking times, and use that table (though different authors have different tables!). One book listed 22 minutes, so I picked 12.

A few days later my friend told me that her husband (an excellent cook) said the meat had not spent enough time with the sauce.

TdeV

TdeV

-- one bottle of Four Vines Zinfandel was reduced to less than half original volume on the stove;

A few days later she told me that her husband (an excellent cook) said the meat had not spent enough time with the sauce.