• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rotuts

rotuts

it was a cold snow day yesterday.  damp , and wet snow.  not that much , 3 - 4 " but heavy.

so I made iPot Turkey + stock.

I and some fz legs , and wings , that had been Vac'd a while ago .  good tight seal , let them thaw overnight in the refrig.

I also had 2 lbs of country pork ' ribs' ( not really ribs , but shoulder end of a pork loin ) and said : Why not them too ? plenty of dark meat on that cut of pork.

trying to make some room in my freezer .

here is the result , proportioned :

1072104381_iPTurkeystock.thumb.jpg.af9f804ade24758bfeca0c85cd27d57b.jpg

the meat smelled fine after the thaw in the refrig.   I chopped the first batch w my inexpensive cleaver from Chinatown , using a mallet for control. realized

for then ext batches that step was not necessary .

I did 30 min , HP , natural release .   less fiddle and faddle that way.   Im in no hurry when I do this .  I put enough meat in the iPot so water added just got them covered and to the

right mark on the pot.  after 30 min + release :

I removed the bones , and w my Oxo hand masher , mashed the meat to break it down into fibrils .  works fine.  20 more minutes HP , natural release.

I took out all the meat , and strained it into a pan , again using the hand masher to extract all the Jus.   I posted about this before. meat had no flavor what so ever.

but I had so much meat , I ended up doing this 3 X w turkey parts , same technique and 1 x w the pork.  all meat was unseasoned and vac'd in the past.

at the end was 4 x Stock.   I cooled the stock in the iPot container in a sink of cold water.   , then put it in plastic tubs I save from TJ's plastic tub cookies.  left it out over night to gel

and get the fat as hard as possible on the

top of the containers.  this AM I carefully removed the fat cap.   about 1/4 inch.  I used the turkey w the skin this time , but realized it wouldn't make a big difference

w the fat cap.  just as easy to take a 1/4 " ++ cap off as a 1/8 " one.  was concerned about the " aroma '  of this stock.  but after the fat was removed , the stock

smelled fine.  the fat was pretty awful stuff Im no fan of chicken or turkey fat.

it you look sat the top R container , these are some opaque bits.  this is sediment on the bottom of the jelled stock.  I tasted it , and it was delicious 

so added it to the group.   I micro's the lot until just barely melted , covered , and put outside in the snow for a few hours 

then into the freezer over night.  in the AM  Ill chamber-vac the bricks.  works really well I think.

and now have 4 x 8 0z  of 4 x stock i.e.: the stock was iP'd 4 times w fresh meat to cover each time .!   no seasonings   but delicious.

I open a vac's frozen brick when I want some stock , chop off what I need , and reseal that same bag in the chamber-vac.  with the reminder  works well

these are the most concentrated Ive ever made , so will last for some time.

rotuts

rotuts

it was a cold snow day yesterday.  damp , and wet snow.  not that much , 3 - 4 " but heavy.

I and some fz legs , and wings , that had been Vac'd a while ago .  good tight seal , let them thaw overnight in the refrig.

I also had 2 lbs of country pork ' ribs' and said : Why not them too ?   trying to make room.

the meat smelled fine after the thaw in the refrig.   I chopped the first batch w my inexpensive cleaver from Chinatown , using a mallet for control. realized

for then ext batches that step was not necessary .

I did 30 min , HP , natural release .   less fiddle and faddle that way.   Im in no hurry when I do this .  I put enough meat in the iPot so water added just got them covered and to the

I removed the bones , and w my Oxo hand masher , mashed the meat to break it down into fibrils .  works fine.  20 more minutes HP , natural release.

I took out all the meat , and strained it into a pan , again using the hand masher to extract all the Jus.   I posted about this before. meat had no flavor what so ever.

but I had so much meat , I ended up doing this 3 X w turkey parts , same technique and 1 x w the pork.  all meat was unseasoned and vac'd in the past.

at the end was 4 x Stock.   I cooled the stock in the iPot container in a sink of cold water.   , then put it in plastic tubs I save from TJ's plastic tub cookies.  left it out over night to gel

top of the containers.  this AM I carefully removed the fat cap.   about 1/4 inch.  I used the turkey w the skin this time , but realized it wouldn't make a big difference

w the fat cap.  just as easy to take a 1/4 " ++ cap off as a 1/8 " one.  was concerned about the " aroma '  of this stock.  but after the fat was removed , the stock

smelled fine.  the fat was pretty awful stuff Im no fan of chicken or turkey fat.

it you look sat the top R container , these are some opaque bits.  this is sediment on the bottom of the jelled stock.  I tasted it , and it was delicious 

so added it to the group.   I micro's the lot until just barely melted , covered , and put outside in the snow for a few hours 

then into the freezer over night.  in the AM  Ill chamber-vac the bricks.  works really well I think.

and now have 4 x 8 0z  of 4 x stock i.e.: the stock was iP'd 4 times w fresh meat to cover each time .!   no seasonings   but delicious.

I open a vac's frozen brick when I want some stock , chop off what I need , and reseal that same bag in the chamber-vac.  with the reminder  works well

rotuts

rotuts

I also had 2 lbs of country pork ' ribs' and said : Why not them too ?   trying to make room.

the meat smelled fine after the thaw in the refrig.   I chopped the first batch w my inexpensive cleaver from Chinatown , using the mallet for control.

and now have 4 x 8 0z  of 4 x stock !   no seasonings   but delicious.

rotuts

rotuts

the meat smelled fine after the thaw in the refrig.   I chopped the first batch w my inexpensive cleaver from Chinatown , using the mallet for control.

I took out all the meat , and strained it into a pat , again using the hand masher to extract all the Jus.   I posted about this before.

rotuts

rotuts

I did 30 min , HP , natural release .   less to do that way.   I put enough meat in the iPot so water added just got them covered and to the right mark on the pot.

I took out all the meat , and strained it into a pad , again using the hand masher to extract all the Jus.   I posted about this before.

at the end of 4 x , I cooled the stock , and put it in plastic tubs I save from TJ's plastic tub cookies.  left it out over night to gel and get the fat as hard as possible on the

I open a vac's brisk when I want some stock , chop off what I need , and reseal that same bag in the chamber-vac.  works well

rotuts

rotuts

I did 30 min , HP , natural release .   less to do that way.   I put enough meat in the iPot so water added just got them covered and to the right mark on the pot.

I took out all the meat , and strained it into a pad , again using the hand masher to extract all the Jus.   I posted about this before.

at the end of 4 x , I cooled the stock , and put it in plastic tubs I save from TJ's plastic tub cookies.  left it out over night to gel and get the fat as hard as possible on the

rotuts

rotuts