• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lemniscate

lemniscate

sp

I had a rice failure of all things in the IP yesterday.  I steamed some TJ's frozen red shrimp PIP with some butter, soy and chile garlic sauce.  It was grand, but there was a lot of leftover juice in the bowl.  I thought, hey, cook some white rice in that!  I put the two cups of rice in and topped off the liquid, on the rice setting.  Weird.  Complete mush around the sides of the bowl and raw in the middle.  Maybe had to do with the bowl I used still being hot from the shrimp. I dunno.   I've made plain long grain rice this way without any issues in the IP, no problems.   Anyway, didn't want to toss the rice mixture mess, so I made congee with it this morning.  Shrimp congee is good on a slightly wet morning.  Not all mistakes are mistakes in the end.

lemniscate

lemniscate

I had an rice failure of all things in the IP yesterday.  I steamed some TJ's frozen red shrimp PIP with some butter, soy and chile garlic sauce.  It was grand, but there was a lot of leftover juice in the bowl.  I thought, hey, cook some white rice in that!  I put the two cups of rice in and topped off the liquid, on the rice setting.  Weird.  Complete mush around the sides of the bowl and raw in the middle.  Maybe had to do with the bowl I used still being hot from the shrimp. I dunno.   I've made plain long grain rice this way without any issues in the IP, no problems.   Anyway, didn't want to toss the rice mixture mess, so I made congee with it this morning.  Shrimp congee is good on a slightly wet morning.  Not all mistakes are mistakes in the end.