• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

divalasvegas

divalasvegas

As Thanksgiving is rapidly approaching, I think I'll be doing my collard greens and ham hocks in the IP.  I've found a couple of recipes that sound pretty good, but all seem to involve the use of chicken stock at the beginning of the process. Well there never has been and never will be a drop of chicken stock near or in my collards, so I plan to pre-cook the ham hock (or hocks)--haven't decided if I will be using one or two--and use the liquid from the hock(s) to start things off using the saute function, then pressure cook on high for about thirty minutes.

Have any of you ever made collards or any kind of similar types of greens (kale, turnip greens, etc.) in the IP? If so, does thirty minutes sound like enough time? I usually end up cooking mine on the stove top for about three hours. They're perfectly tender, not mushy, at that point. I am really not into the current trend of barely cooked greens.

I'll probably be doing this on Tuesday, Wednesday at the latest, along with making my turkey stock. I had considered even doing my cranberry relish in the IP but decided against it since it really doesn't take that long to make it on the stove and I tend to add the other ingredients--diced apples, orange juice, dark and golden raisins, etc.--in stages after the cranberries burst which can't be done using the pressure cooking function.

Any tips or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Edited to change "tomorrow" to Tuesday since I belatedly realized it was already tomorrow when I posted! Sheez. Time flies..........

divalasvegas

divalasvegas

As Thanksgiving is rapidly approaching, I think I'll be doing my collard greens and ham hocks in the IP.  I've found a couple of recipes that sound pretty good, but all seem to involve the use of chicken stock at the beginning of the process. Well there never has been and never will be a drop of chicken stock near or in my collards, so I plan to pre-cook the ham hock (or hocks)--haven't decided if I will be using one or two--and use the liquid from the hock(s) to start things off using the saute function, then pressure cook on high for about thirty minutes.

Have any of you ever made collards or any kind of similar types of greens (kale, turnip greens, etc.) in the IP? If so, does thirty minutes sound like enough time? I usually end up cooking mine on the stove top for about three hours. They're perfectly tender, not mushy, at that point. I am really not into the current trend of barely cooked greens.

I'll probably be doing this tomorrow, Wednesday at the latest, along with making my turkey stock. I had considered even doing my cranberry relish in the IP but decided against it since it really doesn't take that long to make it on the stove and I tend to add the other ingredients--diced apples, orange juice, dark and golden raisins, etc.--in stages after the cranberries burst which can't be done using the pressure cooking function.

Any tips or guidance will be greatly appreciated.