• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

On 3/16/2018 at 5:50 PM, Anna N said:

...set it and forget it. Stovetop pressure cooker needs your attention. You must wait till it reaches pressure and then adjust the heat beneath it and you must be ready to move it off the heat when it is finished cooking. 

Well, yeah, kinda, but it's not a big deal—not with the stove-top pressure cookers I've used—which have been many.

Several models of Mirro, Presto, Hawkins, Kuhn Rikon, and All-American.

I've used them so much that I can tell what's going on by the sound—I just make two minor adjustments during the cooking process.

I know my stoves settings for each adjustment.

High heat to start—the 2 adjustments, after the PC comes up to temperature, are "3" to cook and then "off." Quite simple.

IMO, the so-called, set-it-and-forget-it 'advantage' of electric pressure cookers is canceled out by the points I've posted previously...

"The insert is easy to clean.

It requires about as much cleaning time as the entire stove-top pressure cooker.

Then there's the lid. The multi-piece lid.

Then the pressure cooker body, the cord and the counter-top.

Something else that I found irritating.

When it came time to pour the PC'd chiles and some of the other ingredients into the blender, it required fiddling with pot-holders to handle the insert, where the stove-up PC requires simply grabbing the handles and pouring.

The clean-up and fiddling around as well as other differences required an additional ~20 minutes compared to using the stove-top PC."

Advantage, by far, stove-top pressure cookers!

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

...set it and forget it. Stovetop pressure cooker needs your attention. You must wait till it reaches pressure and then adjust the heat beneath it and you must be ready to move it off the heat when it is finished cooking. 

Well, yeah, kinda, but it's not a big deal—not with the stove-top pressure cookers I've used—which have been many.

Several models of Mirro, Presto, Hawkins and All-American.

I've used them so much that I can tell what's going on by the sound—I just make two minor adjustments during the cooking process.

High heat to start—the 2 adjustments, after the PC comes up to temperature, are "3" to cook and then "off." Quite simple.

IMO, the so-called, set-it-and-forget-it 'advantage' of electric pressure cookers is canceled out by the points I've posted previously...

It requires about as much cleaning time as the entire stove-top pressure cooker.

When it came time to pour the PC'd chiles and some of the other ingredients into the blender, it required fiddling with pot-holders to handle the insert, where the stove-up PC requires simply grabbing the handles and pouring.

The clean-up and fiddling around as well as other differences required an additional ~20 minutes compared to using the stove-top PC."

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

Well, yeah, kinda but it's not a big deal—not with the stove-top pressure cookers I've used—which have been many.

I've used them so much that I can tell what's going on by the sound—I just a make two minor adjustments during the cooking process.