• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JAZ

JAZ

Edited to add comment

41 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Thank you, Dave. I went to the site and the cake is beautiful. She mentioned that it was from a Kindle cookbook from one of our members and unfortunately I don't have a Kindle and the Kindle app cannot be downloaded in Costa Rica. No reason, they just won't do it. I know it's unethical for her to give out recipe from a private cookbook but perhaps if I send her a PM she can give me some basic instructions.

That recipe is from my book, and my publisher has said it's fine if I give out the occasional recipe. So here you go. I will add that a couple of people have mentioned that the cake doesn't seem quite done in the time I used, so especially if you use a smaller diameter pan, you might want to add a minute or two to the cooking time. Also, use your manufacturer's recommendation for the amount of water necessary to steam -- some require more than 1 cup.

Edited to add that pressure cooked cakes do tend to be pretty dense -- more so than oven baked cakes. But they are very moist, so they keep well.

Browned Butter Apple Spice Cake

6 tablespoons butter

1 egg

1 cup Greek yogurt

⅓ cup sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon cardamom

1 medium apple, peeled and diced

¼ cup powdered sugar

1 cup water for steaming

1.      Brown the butter. Place the butter in a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Melt the butter and continue to cook until the milk solids begin to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Measure out 3 tablespoons and set the rest aside.

2.      Prepare the pan. Lightly butter a 6- or 7-inch spring form pan (or cake pan with a removable bottom).

3.      Make the batter. In a medium bowl, stir together 3 tablespoons browned butter, the egg, yogurt, sugar, and vanilla. Sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and cardamom, and add to the wet ingredients. Stir just until combined. Stir in the diced apple. Pour into the prepared pan.

4.      Pressure cook the cake. Add 1 cup water to the Instant Pot. Place a trivet with handles in the pot and place the pan on top (if your trivet doesn’t have handles, use a foil sling to make removing the bowl easier). Place a piece of aluminum foil over the pan to keep water from leaking in. Lock the lid into place. Select Manual; adjust the pressure to High and the time to 18 minutes. When cooking is complete, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure. Unlock the lid.

5.      Finish the cake. Remove the pan from the Instant Pot. Remove the foil. Let the cake cool for 5 to 10 minutes, then remove the sides of the pan. Let cool for another 10 minutes. Reheat the remaining browned butter if it’s solidified, and drizzle over the cake. Dust with the powdered sugar.

JAZ

JAZ

33 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Thank you, Dave. I went to the site and the cake is beautiful. She mentioned that it was from a Kindle cookbook from one of our members and unfortunately I don't have a Kindle and the Kindle app cannot be downloaded in Costa Rica. No reason, they just won't do it. I know it's unethical for her to give out recipe from a private cookbook but perhaps if I send her a PM she can give me some basic instructions.

That recipe is from my book, and my publisher has said it's fine if I give out the occasional recipe. So here you go. I will add that a couple of people have mentioned that the cake doesn't seem quite done in the time I used, so especially if you use a smaller diameter pan, you might want to add a minute or two to the cooking time. Also, use your manufacturer's recommendation for the amount of water necessary to steam -- some require more than 1 cup.

Browned Butter Apple Spice Cake

6 tablespoons butter

1 egg

1 cup Greek yogurt

⅓ cup sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon cardamom

1 medium apple, peeled and diced

¼ cup powdered sugar

1 cup water for steaming

1.      Brown the butter. Place the butter in a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Melt the butter and continue to cook until the milk solids begin to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Measure out 3 tablespoons and set the rest aside.

2.      Prepare the pan. Lightly butter a 6- or 7-inch spring form pan (or cake pan with a removable bottom).

3.      Make the batter. In a medium bowl, stir together 3 tablespoons browned butter, the egg, yogurt, sugar, and vanilla. Sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and cardamom, and add to the wet ingredients. Stir just until combined. Stir in the diced apple. Pour into the prepared pan.

4.      Pressure cook the cake. Add 1 cup water to the Instant Pot. Place a trivet with handles in the pot and place the pan on top (if your trivet doesn’t have handles, use a foil sling to make removing the bowl easier). Place a piece of aluminum foil over the pan to keep water from leaking in. Lock the lid into place. Select Manual; adjust the pressure to High and the time to 18 minutes. When cooking is complete, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure. Unlock the lid.

5.      Finish the cake. Remove the pan from the Instant Pot. Remove the foil. Let the cake cool for 5 to 10 minutes, then remove the sides of the pan. Let cool for another 10 minutes. Reheat the remaining browned butter if it’s solidified, and drizzle over the cake. Dust with the powdered sugar.