• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rotuts

rotuts

I think any solid cuts or chunks of meat heated past certain temperature determined contraction points 

whether via a slow bubbly braise in the oven for hours or in an iPot for times you chose

are going to be dry as the moisture in the meat has been squeezed out into the liquid.

fatty meats might still be decent as some of the fat might still be in the meat.

' dry ' in the mouth is not just a water-jus effect but also a fat effect.

I had occasion to serve on a jury today , two towns over.

we were let out for lunch.   there was a BlurRibbon BBQ joint a block away 

I made a BeeLine to it.  the platters were huge  and I was in a bit of a hurry

I had the KC burnt ends in a sandwich.  it was fork-flaked

it was exceptionally tasty  as were the 4 different sauces you could try out on the side

fantastic beans and slaw

the the meat , in all its taste sauce  was very dry itself.  it was probably beef  which is not what I was thinking of

but being in a hurry , I didn't spot an option for just a few pork ribs.

my point is only that Dry is Dry and you know it when its in your mouth no mater what else is in there at the same time

is sauce.

Im fairly sure this meat was ' fork - tender ' to be flaked as it was

but tender is a fairly complicated thing

and quite different from dry.   tender does imply juicy-ness Id say.

rotuts

rotuts

I think any solid cuts or chunks of meat heated past certain temperature determined contraction points 

whether via a slow bubbly braise in the oven for hours or in an iPot for times you chose

are going to be dry as the moisture in the meat has been squeezed out into the liquid.

fatty meats might still be decent as some of the fat might still be in the meat.

' dry ' in the mouth is not just a water-jus effect but also a fat effect.

I had occasion to serve on a jury today , two towns over.

we were let out for lunch.   there was a BlurRibbon BBQ joint a block away 

I made a BeeLine to it.  the platters were huge  and I was in a bit of a hurry

I had the KC burnt ends in a sandwich.  it was fork-flaked

it was exceptionally tasty  as were the 4 different sauces you could try out on the side

fantastic beans and slaw

the the meat , in all its taste sauce  was very dry itself.  it was probably beef  which is not what I was thinking of

but being in a hurry , I didn't spot an option for just a few pork ribs.

my point is only that Dry is Dry and you know it when its in your mouth no mater what else is in there at the same time

is sauce.