• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

Typo

10 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Is there a reason one would want to spread the slightly sweetened sour cream on a hot cheesecake?

I agree with you 100% on all your points. the best New York cheesecake that I had in New York had no crust. Just 100% fantastic, pure cheesecake. I would love to try a crustless version but my pan has an ever-so-slight leak and the crust seals it so it won't get out.

I do not care for most unbaked cheesecakes. They make a terrible version here and actually put green jello on the top. I do have an excellent no bake cheesecake recipe that I developed for a friend with dietary problems. If you would like to try it, I can send it to you in a PM.

The sour cream topping goes on the cake before you ever take it out of the pan. It melds right into the cake itself. If you put it on a cold cake it almost separates into a separate layer.

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

5 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Is there a reason one would want to spread the slightly sweetened sour cream on a hot cheesecake?

I agree with you 100% on all your points. the best New York cheesecake that I had in New York had no crust. Just 100% fantastic, pure cheesecake. I would love to try a crustless version but my pain has an ever-so-slight leak and the crust seals it so it won't get out.

I do not care for most unbaked cheesecakes. They make a terrible version here and actually put green jello on the top. I do have an excellent no bake cheesecake recipe that I developed for a friend with dietary problems. If you would like to try it, I can send it to you in a PM.

The sour cream topping goes on the cake before you ever take it out of the pan. It melds right into the cake itself. If you put it on a cold cake it almost separates into a separate layer.