• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

On 9/18/2017 at 5:29 PM, weedy said:

I think the IP works as a standalone electric pressure cooker.

all the rest of it, and it's 46 buttons, is silly. 

I just wanted to add a short note about my reasons and reasoning for using the instant pot. I am basically a lazy person but I love good food. Since I have come to know and love my instant pot I have found so many things that are easier to make and turn out better than the more laborious methods.

I don't know about the 46 buttons because, as I have said before here, I have a Chinese knockoff pot. Mine is a 15 and 1. I have a setting for congee, which being a Chinese knockoff, I suppose is logical. But then I have a separate setting for chili. Do you suppose the Chinese think that all westerners make so much chili we need a separate setting? I also have a setting for curry, spelled curri, which I suppose is in an attempt to capture the Indian market, where everyone is in love with pressure cookers. Again, logical. But then, in addition to a white rice and the brown rice setting I have a feature for multigrain. My point is, I think we all choose our own favorite features and get familiar with them and use them most. I don't use all the features of my washing machine. Nor do I use all the burners on my stove, especially since I got my instant pot. we pick our battles and fight them in the way that is best for us.

My grandson works for Amazon, and in a sales meeting the other day they were told that the instant pot is now their top selling item in the world. That includes Europe, India, North and South America, and, yes, they are even selling them to China. It is well on the way to being their top selling item of all times! There has got to be a reason for the popularity of this item. It's not a fad like the pet rock, everybody else has to have one. People are buying more than one and recommending them to all their friends because it's a good, reliable product, that does what it says it's going to do, and more importantly, sooner or later, like me, everyone can use it. It has become a phenomenon that has amazed even Amazon.

It might be overstating it a bit to say that I am passionate about my Chinese knock-off instant pot. But if someone were to break into my home and steal everything I have, they will find me wrapped around my instant pot, fighting for it with my life. The only way that they are going to get it is to pry it out of my cold, dead arms.

With that, I will sit down and shut up.

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

On 9/18/2017 at 5:29 PM, weedy said:

I think the IP works as a standalone electric pressure cooker.

all the rest of it, and it's 46 buttons, is silly. 

I just wanted to add a short note about my reasons and reasoning for using the instant pot. I am basically a lazy person but I love good food. Since I have come to know and love my instant pot I have found so many things that are easier to make and turn out better than the more laborious methods.

I don't know about the 46 buttons because as I have said before here, I have a Chinese knockoff pot. Mine is a 15 and 1. I have a setting for congee, which being a Chinese knockoff I suppose is logical. But then I have a separate study for chili. Do you suppose the Chinese think that all westerners make so much chili we need a separate setting? I also have a setting for curry, spelled curri, which I suppose is in and attempt to capture the Indian market, where everyone is in love with pressure cookers. Again, logical. But then, in addition to a white rice and the brown rice setting I have a feature for multigrain. My point is, I think we all choose our own favorite features and get familiar with them and use them most. I don't use all the features of my washing machine. Nor do I use all the burners on my stove, especially since I got my instant pot. we pick our battles and fight them in the way that is best for us.

My grandson works for Amazon, and in a sales meeting the other day they were told that the instant pot is now their top selling item in the world. That includes Europe, India, North and South America, and, yes, they are even selling them to China. It is well on the way to being their top selling item of all times! There has got to be a reason for the popularity of this item. It's not a fad like the pet rock, everybody else has to have one. People are buying more than one and recommending them to all their friends because it's a good, reliable product, that does what it says it's going to do, and more importantly, sooner or later, like me, everyone can use it. It has become a phenomenon that has amazed even Amazon.

It might be overstating it a bit to say that I am passionate about my Chinese knock-off instant pot. But if someone were to break into my home and steal everything I have, they will find me wrapped around my instant pot, fighting for it with my life. The only way that they are going to get it is to pry it out of my cold, dead arms.

With that, I will sit down and shut up.