• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

33 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

@JoNorvelleWalker

@Anna N

I haven't cooked rice in an instapot before and there will be 60 people so I will need to cook 10 cups of raw rice to get 30 cups of cooked.  In Laura Pazzaglia's hip Pressure Cooking book she suggests to only cook 3 cups of raw rice at a time.  I will have two instapots and I do have a large rice cooker which will do 6 cups so I could  cook 10 cups in those three.  I guess I am just nervous cooking that much rice in a manner that I haven't done before but I think you folks are right and I will just do that and keep my fingers crossed. 

I am much more concerned about reheating it on a "warm" setting than about cooking it!  Rice is supposedly notoriously subject to incubating "nasties". While I am aware that many Asian folks will scoff at my  paranoia you will be feeding a lot of people and you would not like to discover any disastrous aftermath of your generous feast.  

Here's a brief discussion. 

Anna N

Anna N

25 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

@JoNorvelleWalker

@Anna N

I haven't cooked rice in an instapot before and there will be 60 people so I will need to cook 10 cups of raw rice to get 30 cups of cooked.  In Laura Pazzaglia's hip Pressure Cooking book she suggests to only cook 3 cups of raw rice at a time.  I will have two instapots and I do have a large rice cooker which will do 6 cups so I could  cook 10 cups in those three.  I guess I am just nervous cooking that much rice in a manner that I haven't done before but I think you folks are right and I will just do that and keep my fingers crossed. 

I am much more concerned about reheating it on a "warm" setting than about cooking it!  Rice is supposedly notoriously subject to incubating "nasties". While I am aware that many Asian folks will scoff at my  paranoia you will be feeding a lot of people and you would not like to discover any disastrous aftermath of your generous feast.