• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kerry Beal

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

"Trader Joe's Rolled Back The Price Of Its 'Two Buck Chuck' Wine So It's Actually $2 Once Again"

The early 2000s brought this world a lot. Most notably, it began the era of $1.99 bottles of Trader Joe’s Charles Shaw wine that’s widely referred to as “Two Buck Chuck.” Since its debut, the budget-friendly wine saw an increase in price over the years–you know, inflation plus varying state distribution costs and taxes–but California maintained the two-buck price for over a decade before it, too, rose. Now, it’s finally back to the OG price, so it can once again live up to its nickname.

Note the price rollback is currently only happening in California.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

CA is much more efficient on its added-on costs

here in MA , its at least $ 1 a bottle

for a handler that never handles the bottle.

but has outstanding connections to Our Fine State Legislators.

this is true.

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

CA is much more efficient on its added-on costs

Also it is wine country and the home of TJs

16 hours ago, Toliver said:

"Trader Joe's Rolled Back The Price Of Its 'Two Buck Chuck' Wine So It's Actually $2 Once Again"

Note the price rollback is currently only happening in California.

I noticed big "Two Buck Chuck is Back" signs at my TJ's recently.  I don't buy it. I don't find it vile as others do, it's just uninteresting and I was thinking that it must have been out of stock.  Thanks for explaining that it's the "Two Buck" part that's back!

in MA the 3 buck Chuck is very harsh on the Palate

I got this the other day :

775961180_PGs.thumb.jpg.c73dec3684ff3aac583cbe43345b5020.jpg

Ill use some in my Ravioli Soupish tonight

it was suggested I think by @blue_dolphin I think

Im wondering if I should Get My Head (Re)Examined.

everything is baby.    I given my thoughts on that elsewhere.

Id have preferred Middle Aged.   I used to have a garden and I know the difference.

these days , a little more Power might be helpful

will report back

here or the Dinner Thread.

• Haha 4

@rotuts, are you able to get spinach in bunches? It's a little more work than simply opening a bag and washing the contents, but I think there's a lot more flavor that way.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

9 minutes ago, Smithy said:

@rotuts, are you able to get spinach in bunches? It's a little more work than simply opening a bag and washing the contents, but I think there's a lot more flavor that way.

That is the way I prefer to buy spinach. It is a bit more work but it’s worth it Peariant the last few times I bought frozen spinach it tasted like fish!

• Confused 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

R.I.P. Joe 

Joe Coulombe, who created Trader Joe’s with a vision that college-educated but poorly paid young people would flock to a store that stocked healthy foods at bargain prices, died late on Friday. He was 89.

• Sad 1

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

20 minutes ago, Alex said:

R.I.P. Joe 

Yes what a legacy.  The original was my local. Exposed us to so much different but affordable food. Where else could a poor student get Mumm's champagne affordably in the late 70's. 

the  GreenMix was not bad.

more texture than the BS.

Ill keep using it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

the  GreenMix was not bad.

more texture than the BS.

Ill keep using it.

That's what I thought.  Still baby but better than just baby spinach.  Glad it worked out for you.

Trader Joe's is possibly coming to Ithaca, NY.

That would be good news for me, the potential location is just 30 miles away.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I try to find the good food in every situation!

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse, curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!