• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

Kerry Beal

On a whim, I picked up a cookie/ornament decorating kit from TJ's. 

This would be fun to do with kids, but not really young kids, as some of the decorations are really small. A friend and I did these this afternoon, she's going to add them to her tree. Not sure how tasty they would be, we didn't want to eat any as there is already so much sweet food around right now! It was fun, though. 

IMG_20191216_163531.thumb.jpg.615cb531611309a4610bd4a7a30ed404.jpg

IMG_20191216_163520.thumb.jpg.6dc14e2aa21d4977c3cd069721024588.jpg

• Like 10

my wine Bud's at my Local informed me yes , that they will be getting 3 - 5 cases of that

black diamond cab.  they are not putting a limit on the number of bottloes

and will taste the wine and comment.  I might get a taste too.

I might get two bottles for the cellar if it passes the Taste Test

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I had some friends over last night and picked up a few snacks from TJ's.  Among other things, these little Langres cheeses were $6.99 each and absolutely delicious.

647725929_IMG_1728(1).thumb.jpeg.c11e8fa4f9c042d60a6c56977306b691.jpeg

Murray's describes this cheese thusly: "The elegantly wrinkled rind adds textural interest and develops a dense cream that is cakey at the core with a luscious creamline and distinctive porcine savoriness."  

They went on to offer this serving suggestion, "Langres's signature, though, is its concave cap, designed to cradle a splash of terroir-appropriate Champagne. Cut a small slit into the middle to allow the bubbles to transform its demure fudginess into a brioche-laden creambomb," which I neglected to read about. I went back to TJ's and picked up 2 more so maybe I'll try it with them. 

Everyone was taking pictures of the cheese so they'd remember what to ask for. 

The rosemary mixed nuts were good, too.  The label says, "subtly sweet," which concerned me but I found the sweetness barely detectable and not off-putting at all. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I had some friends over last night and picked up a few snacks from TJ's.  Among other things, these little Langres cheeses were $6.99 each and absolutely delicious.

647725929_IMG_1728(1).thumb.jpeg.c11e8fa4f9c042d60a6c56977306b691.jpeg

Murray's describes this cheese thusly: "The elegantly wrinkled rind adds textural interest and develops a dense cream that is cakey at the core with a luscious creamline and distinctive porcine savoriness."  

They went on to offer this serving suggestion, "Langres's signature, though, is its concave cap, designed to cradle a splash of terroir-appropriate Champagne. Cut a small slit into the middle to allow the bubbles to transform its demure fudginess into a brioche-laden creambomb," which I neglected to read about. I went back to TJ's and picked up 2 more so maybe I'll try it with them. 

The rosemary mixed nuts were good, too.  The label says, "subtly sweet," which concerned me but I found the sweetness barely detectable and not off-putting at all. 

I have had both of those and they are wonderful. We had the Langres at Thanksgiving and it was delicious. I'd hoped to get another, but every single one they had when I went a week or so ago was already past the best by date. It was not going to last until we would eat it for the holidays. I hope they will have a new batch in next time.

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

26 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

I have had both of those and they are wonderful. We had the Langres at Thanksgiving and it was delicious. I'd hoped to get another, but every single one they had when I went a week or so ago was already past the best by date. It was not going to last until we would eat it for the holidays. I hope they will have a new batch in next time.

The Langres I got the other day had a "best by" date of 12/24.  I think they will be OK for a while after that although they are clearly ready to eat now!

One more new-to-me item I tried from the flyer are the Ginger Snowball cookies.  Little butter ball cookies like a Mexican Wedding cookie/Russian Teacake but with chopped, crystalized ginger instead of nuts. Rolled in confectioners sugar with a little lemon and ground ginger.  

Like that Nuts about Rosemary Mix, they are another holiday item.  The box of snowballs I got had a "best by" date of 10/2020 so I'll probably pick up another box.  Just the thing to go with a cup of tea, coffee or a warm mug of spiced cider. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I WANT this cheese.  I don't want to go to the big city again though....I could order it, but it's double that price.  And I think Ronnie would kill me if I add more cheese to the fridge 🙃

• Sad 2

53 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I WANT this cheese.  I don't want to go to the big city again though....I could order it, but it's double that price.  And I think Ronnie would kill me if I add more cheese to the fridge 🙃

Maybe @rotuts can find out if they will be getting more.  I neglected to ask but the sign on it just said, "New" rather than "limited time" or "holiday" so maybe they'll have more in next time you have to go for one of those dreaded appointments.  Nothing wrong with a nice soft cheese...but I suppose the crusty bread that I smear it on could be an issue 😢 

• Like 1

Shared this today with DH and his son, it was pretty rich, delicious. 9.2% alcohol, so no driving...

20191221_133259.jpg

Edited by BeeZee
Rotated a photo (log)
  • Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

16 hours ago, BeeZee said:

Shared this today with DH and his son, it was pretty rich, delicious. 9.2% alcohol, so no driving...image is rotated but not due to my drinking!

20191221_133259.jpg

There was something similar on tap from one of my local microbreweries when I was last at the liquor store. It was interesting, but not something I wanted to fill a whole growler with, so I walked out with a non-holiday themed double IPA instead.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

wet to Tj's , and got some Langres.

my kitchen is so cold I doubt it will mature

but lo0oking forward to it

Tj's just now very busy , of course 

and I picked the line w the World's Slowest Bagger !

Season Cheers All Around !

and Merry Christmas if you are so inclined .

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, rotuts said:

wet to Tj's , and got some Langres.

my kitchen is so cold I doubt it will mature

but lo0oking forward to it

Tj's just now very busy , of course 

Season Cheers All Around !

and Merry Christmas if you are so inclined .

Put it close to your fire :)  Glad you were able to get some!  Let us know what you think!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Their trainers are thorough and demanding. I just chat them up along with poor soul behind me. Does yourshave a ukeleli tone on the credit card machine?

I used the darkest and next darkest maple syrups from the gift sampler pack since I was cooking savory...I liked the darker syrups, they have a more intense maple flavor. Would probably be nice for using in baked goods where you want a stronger maple flavor to come through. Not sure if I'll be getting back to TJ's any time soon to be able to grab any more of these maple syrup gift packs, but I'd repeat the purchase.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

2 hours ago, BeeZee said:

I used the darkest and next darkest maple syrups from the gift sampler pack since I was cooking savory...I liked the darker syrups, they have a more intense maple flavor. Would probably be nice for using in baked goods where you want a stronger maple flavor to come through. Not sure if I'll be getting back to TJ's any time soon to be able to grab any more of these maple syrup gift packs, but I'd repeat the purchase.

I tried to get that maple syrup set back when you first posted about it and they were already sold out at my store.  They still had some of the honeys from around the world but I've got a lot of honey at the moment so I passed. 

I asked about the Langres cheese and the fellow I talked to said he didn't think they were getting any more 😢

I did pick up a bottle of that gingerbread stout, though 😋

• Like 1

#@$( ^@# $(_^

@#$%O*@#&Y%&#*%Y$+&%+#

reviewing :

@#$%)&#$%&+)#%(&@$#%&)_&_@

the Langres , in th little circular wooden box 

which Is  Soooooooooooooo  good

is seasonal and GONE !

idiots they are at TJ's sometimes

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

#@$( ^@# $(_^

@#$%O*@#&Y%&#*%Y$+&%+#

reviewing :

@#$%)&#$%&+)#%(&@$#%&)_&_@

the Langres , in th little circular wooden box 

which Is  Soooooooooooooo  good

is seasonal and GONE !

idiots they are at TJ's sometimes

Well SHOOT.  I was hoping to get some of that.  I need to remember and look for it next year I guess.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

forgot to look into the Templar R @ TJ's  

the FancyPants  TJ's BlackLabel reserve Cab @19.98 a bottle has arrived at

my Local.  missed a chance to taste it

My WineBuds  liked it but suggested it needed time to " open up "

they said possible a year in the " Cellar "  for me basement.

si I bought 2 bottles .

Id be pretty annoyed if after some CellarBasement time it

was outstanding , and that was my last bottle 

so two.     Im guessing several years easily.

so Ill report back then.

you can't imagine the fun I had after getting my first " Real Job "

quite some time ago

that i started ' cellaring "  Zinfandels from California

mostly Ridge , some Ravenwood , a few Kenwood.

top price for me was @ $ 10 / bottle , case discounts aprpeciated

but rare.  the last two cases were 20 and 22 years old.

I stoped this fun project when the price for this quality wine started to skyrocket.

and , to be fair , and entre nous 

I want about to leave any etc etc when I Move On 

sorry.  those last two cases were about as good as it got

only on special occasions and very special friends.

***  sigh ***

• Like 3