• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

Kerry Beal

On 11/20/2019 at 9:33 AM, Maison Rustique said:

Mine did not have the cat or dog calendars--only the chocolate version. On the other hand, it was truffle heaven at TJ's when I went this week. I got truffle powder, truffle sauce and Black Truffle Alfredo Sauce. Also they had their holiday sets of honeys in really nice varieties. 

My store had both; they sold out of the dog ones the first day they were on offer. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

this item is seasonal , and it comes in different forms for each version

but its really the same delicious cake

these are very dangerous.  if you open the box on they way home

there wont be any left when you get home

these packs are really one dose packs

570543264_TJCake.thumb.jpg.740c23be127cad42701f765a07f10d66.jpg

Yum Yjum !

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, rotuts said:

these are very dangerous.  if you open the box on they way home

there wont be any left when you get home

I will look for these.  I don't have a big sweet tooth but they might be a nice little treat. 

As for eating them on the way home, I am safe from that danger.  First, it's not that far.  Additionally, I've always had a manual transmission which requires the frequent use of both hands.  Except for long trips, I've never done much eating while driving.

Of course, those little cakes could be equally dangerous once they're in my house!

• Like 1

tried a few things recently :

1075341444_TJFocaccia.thumb.jpg.644608db7c728c571cee82cd0100e670.jpg

Focaccia , very puffy , too puffy you can see here paired w the Meat lasagna

943937510_LFTJs.thumb.jpg.b9f4e9ba44902958024c87a81d32b32e.jpg

its just puffy bread w no focaccia ' chew '.    its going back if I can ever dig myself out of the messy weather we are having for

two  days of it.

238796419_FATTJ.thumb.jpg.cc5f705a8f7807ff971614924189bf82.jpg

warmed up a slice in the CSO , and this was very nice.   some tarts have more camelization on the top that others.

pay attention when you pikc yours.   would have been nice w some vanilla ice cream , but didn't have any.

not Tj's , but my front yard:

Snow.thumb.jpg.dcd6d3339ea7d0949c6d2376f09ad60b.jpg

boo hoo wet and heavy , 6 + more inches on the way.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 6

a few days ago :

DSC07884.jpg.acd3877a422ea802fa45f50250fb6784.jpg

this cheese was mentioned before  I think its seasonal   it was quite good , and runny at the get go

once it came to room temp.   lightly covered in the cabinet , it did not age as well as brie, but was

still good.  near the end of its tenure on the shelf , it tasted quite salty = \

Ill get another once I Dig Out.  I don't think Im going to get a few and vac them and freeze

can't really say why  there are plenty o other chests at Tj's that last me  w a smile , all year long.

Turkey gobble was very very ncie

i think Tj's has a lot of wraps that are very nice.  plenty of meat , and fairly priced for what you get

I have not stumbled any w GBP's !  I do keep and eye out.

Turkey , nice stuffing , cranberries       very nice.  I micro them unwrapped and wait for them

to get to equilibrium

• Like 3

remember i mentioned this :

238796419_FATTJ.thumb.jpg.cc5f705a8f7807ff971614924189bf82.jpg.93792976f9ea7391d4a525d621e5be31.jpg

which I of course enjoyed ?

went motoring to Tj's , 

thought id get another

#(%^@#%^)@#^%_

reviewing    #$%(^@#)%(^@#(^$%_@#^%+@^#%

they noted I enjoyed it

so they canceled it "" until next season ""

they do this 

not of course my Bud's at TJs

but their computer what ever

its programed  :  He Likes it  we will cancel it.

one more review :

#ORY_#@$Y)@#*$Y%)@#$Y+@#R&#}TY

just saying.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 3

@rotuts and other TJ's winos, you many want to look for this Trader Joe's Diamond Cabernet from the Napa Valley.  It's $20/bottle.  At my store, they were limiting it to 1 bottle per person and said they didn't have much.  

My wine guy raved about it and said it was a $100 bottle of wine.  Maybe call and see if your store has it. 

IMG_1698.thumb.jpeg.17417d36da2ca69bbd88b74eb6223ab1.jpeg

IMG_1697.thumb.jpeg.e592f0c5c648d2c23f8d286f6afdf4d6.jpeg

Edited to add that this is the first "Diamond Reserve" and also the most expensive TJ's label wine they have offered.  Their Platinum Reserve wines are priced at ~ $15.  I generally try them, even if it's not a wine that I normally gravitate to and they are usually very good.  With the other TJ Reserve wines, I stick with my preferences, taking advice from the staff to pick others. 

Edited again to add that my TJ's wine guy recommended letting it breathe for at least half an hour.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 4

since the French Apple Tart has been discontinued

I thought i try the cranberry-apple one :

219779542_TJtart-1.thumb.jpg.08331c540108dccdb04e1d3a98ce4d42.jpg

note one is missing , as I CSO'd and tried it.

I did use steam bake ,l which might have been a mistake

as the bottom dough was , well very doughy and not so nice.

I though id give the remaining one a better shot at redemption tomorrow on ordinary non steam bake

but decided this pastry is not going to make it what ever i do..

too bad    I like a crispy crusty fruit topped desert.

back to Tj's it goes.

• Sad 2

On 12/7/2019 at 11:19 AM, blue_dolphin said:

@rotuts and other TJ's winos, you many want to look for this Trader Joe's Diamond Cabernet from the Napa Valley.  It's $20/bottle.  At my store, they were limiting it to 1 bottle per person and said they didn't have much.  

My wine guy raved about it and said it was a $100 bottle of wine.  Maybe call and see if your store has it. 

IMG_1698.thumb.jpeg.17417d36da2ca69bbd88b74eb6223ab1.jpeg

IMG_1697.thumb.jpeg.e592f0c5c648d2c23f8d286f6afdf4d6.jpeg

Edited to add that this is the first "Diamond Reserve" and also the most expensive TJ's label wine they have offered.  Their Platinum Reserve wines are priced at ~ $15.  I generally try them, even if it's not a wine that I normally gravitate to and they are usually very good.  With the other TJ Reserve wines, I stick with my preferences, taking advice from the staff to pick others. 

Edited again to add that my TJ's wine guy recommended letting it breathe for at least half an hour.

FWIW I was in a TJ's earlier this week and, while I was checking out, heard two clerks discussing a cabernet that they'd found very disappointing. Based on what they said about it ($20 price for $100 wine! and "let it breathe at least a half hour" I think they were discussing this one. I'll be interested to see what the rest of you say about it.

My TJ's loot is already stowed, so I have no photos. I stocked up on my favorite grilled and marinated artichokes; sun-dried tomatoes in oil; aioli mustard, a bunch of pastas. If anything unusual pops up as I unpack it, I'll post a photo and information about it.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

36 minutes ago, Smithy said:

FWIW I was in a TJ's earlier this week and, while I was checking out, heard two clerks discussing a cabernet that they'd found very disappointing. Based on what they said about it ($20 price for $100 wine! and "let it breathe at least a half hour" I think they were discussing this one. I'll be interested to see what the rest of you say about it.

My TJ's loot is already stowed, so I have no photos. I stocked up on my favorite grilled and marinated artichokes; sun-dried tomatoes in oil; aioli mustard, a bunch of pastas. If anything unusual pops up as I unpack it, I'll post a photo and information about it.

Well, if that's the case, no one should feel like they were missing out on anything. And don't feel so bad that I wasn't able to get more.  I did go to another TJ's store.  They had received 9 cases of the wine on Friday night and it was all gone by mid-day on Saturday, although I did see a case behind the counter with a note that said, "Save for Customer."  The staff at the 2nd store raved about it, too. 

Along the lines of different tastes, I had a miss with these Raspberry Stars.  $4.99 for the box.  

IMG_1717.thumb.jpeg.d3d2c0841ffcb49b09fc770a67bb57f4.jpeg

It wasn't apparent to me from looking into the box that these are sandwich cookies so I was surprised when I got them home and opened the box.  Also, I was expecting a thinner, firmer shortbread but these are just thick, soft and so tender.  You can't break a piece off, they just smush into crumbs. I had my doubts about them back at the store, but the gal who pointed them out couldn't stop raving about them so I decided to give them a try.  A different young woman at the checkout told me they were the best cookies and she was in love with them.  

The flyer suggested dipping them into melted chocolate.  I'm afraid that would just be a waste of chocolate. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

@blue_dolphin, it's also possible those clerks didn't know good wine! In that case I'm being irresponsible repeating that story. Please report back when you try the wine!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Id keep it for several years in a temp stable place.

a closet is fine if covered in clothes to keep the wine at a constant temp.

re: personal taste in wine :  Tj's sells a zilli9on bottles of 2 buck chuck.

Q.E.D.

• Like 1

Similar packaging to Trader Joe's Pitted Amarena Cherries, spotted these Italian strawberries on my last visit. Very tasty! First tried them with some cream of wheat. Will be part of today's breakfast, spooned on top of some Trader Joe's cheese blintzes.

IMG_5721-italian-strawberries-lowres.jpg.b411194f3d67475f687c53ee352d1b1b.jpgIMG_5723-strawberries-open-jar-lowres.jpg.74085e08789979ed0ac3cd2b49403f05.jpg

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, curls said:

Similar packaging to Trader Joe's Pitted Amarena Cherries, spotted these Italian strawberries on my last visit. Very tasty! First tried them with some cream of wheat. Will be part of today's breakfast, spooned on top of some Trader Joe's cheese blintzes.

Thanks for reporting on those strawberries.  I've picked up the jar and put it back on the shelf a dozen times because I didn't know what I'd do with them!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thanks for reporting on those strawberries.  I've picked up the jar and put it back on the shelf a dozen times because I didn't know what I'd do with them!

I think you'll find a lot of uses for them. I'm mostly using them in applications where I would add dried fruit or fruit sauce to the main dish. Very nice strawberry flavor. Of course they would also be delicious with dessert items... over vanilla ice cream, pound cake, pavlova, etc..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Made a TJ’s run (ack, the madness) to get some wines for gifting. Picked up a bottle of gingerbread stout which caught my eye. Box of gingerbread mix, tomatillo salsa for hubs, chocolate covered espresso beans, dried fruit and nuts, box of carrot ginger soup, 4 pack gift of maple syrups ($9.99, a steal), bag of brown rice/grain blend (making stuffed peppers tomorrow).

Edited by BeeZee (log)
  • Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde