• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kerry Beal

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

I'd bet that meat sourcing and distribution is local, not national, at TJs.  Just like the bakery stuff.  So we're hearing that NYC and AZ TJs beef leaves something to be desired.  I don't generally buy meat at TJ's, but did purchase a super marbelled rib eye from them here in PA a couple of years back because it looked so good... and it was.  Never saw another comparable piece of beef at TJ's thereafter, but I had a great experience with one good looking super marbelled  steak.  

11 minutes ago, cdh said:

I'd bet that meat sourcing and distribution is local, not national, at TJs.  Just like the bakery stuff.  So we're hearing that NYC and AZ TJs beef leaves something to be desired.  I don't generally buy meat at TJ's, but did purchase a super marbelled rib eye from them here in PA a couple of years back because it looked so good... and it was.  Never saw another comparable piece of beef at TJ's thereafter, but I had a great experience with one good looking super marbelled  steak.  

Yes, good point and I was wondering about that myself! And I might try buying a steak there again, it's been a while and maybe things are different. 

Just discovered the TJ's whole wheat Tuscan pane bread - it's the closest thing I've seen to real bread from TJs! In all seriousness, it reminds me of the whole wheat sourdough from le Pain Quotidien, or the Poilâne bread available in London or Paris. Really excellent for supermarket bread

1 hour ago, Hassouni said:

Just discovered the TJ's whole wheat Tuscan pane bread - it's the closest thing I've seen to real bread from TJs! In all seriousness, it reminds me of the whole wheat sourdough from le Pain Quotidien, or the Poilâne bread available in London or Paris. Really excellent for supermarket bread

Quite excellent but mine does not carry it anymore!