• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

Kerry Beal

54 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Nice catch, @FauxPas!  I didn't even try to read sideways!  Target offered Tim Tams for a while but I haven't seen them there in a long time. 

One thing.  Doing an "Aussie-style chocolate crème sandwich cookie slam" doesn't quite have the same ring as a Tim Tam Slam 🤣

Not having the faintest idea of the nature of a Tim Tam Slam I felt obliged to do some research. 
Here.
at $6.49 for 200 g of Tim Tams I probably won’t be checking this out! At my age, I should know better anyway. 

• Haha 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

23 hours ago, Anna N said:

at $6.49 for 200 g of Tim Tams I probably won’t be checking this out! At my age, I should know better anyway.

Wow, I thought they were pricey here. Regular price is $4.99 but they go on sale for $3.99 lately. Used to be on sale for $2.49. 

13 hours ago, rotuts said:

TJ's are milk chocolate

that would be better in dark.

yet the do  not last very long w milk chocolate 

You have to try the Slam and see if it works with the TJ's ones!  😄

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I impulsed bought TJ's frozen soup dumplings this week.  Pork/ginger and steamed chicken flavors.   We came home starving for lunch from different tasks and wanted something quick(!).   I put these in the 3qt IP with a silicone steamer tray (about 1 cup water in bottom) and put on saute with a lid for 10 min.   Took 2 batches, but they are darn good for a frozen food.    I will buy these again and the saute/steam/cover method in the IP worked very well.

• Like 5

On 12/22/2022 at 12:21 PM, lemniscate said:

I impulsed bought TJ's frozen soup dumplings this week.  Pork/ginger and steamed chicken flavors.   We came home starving for lunch from different tasks and wanted something quick(!).   I put these in the 3qt IP with a silicone steamer tray (about 1 cup water in bottom) and put on saute with a lid for 10 min.   Took 2 batches, but they are darn good for a frozen food.    I will buy these again and the saute/steam/cover method in the IP worked very well.

I steam them in a standard two part steamer pot. I spray just a bit of oil on the bottom of the basket as they will stick a bit if I don’t and I lose some broth. These are actually quite good for a frozen item. 

32 minutes ago, Midlife said:

These are actually quite good for a frozen item. 

All the wonderful dumplings I buy from various Asian markets are a "frozen product".  Fresh nes kinda glom togethern the rough atmosphere of markets ;) 

11 hours ago, heidih said:

Fresh nes kinda glom togethern the rough atmosphere of markets ;) 

Not to mock - I know technical difficulties are at the root of your frequent typos - but that sounds very much like me in the mornings. :)

Come to think of it, that's also very much what living with hearing loss is like. When my grandson opened his toy light sabre this morning, I thought he was saying "Life Savers" and thought it was cute that he was so excited.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

32 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Not to mock - I know technical difficulties are at the root of your frequent typos - but that sounds very much like me in the mornings. :)

Come to think of it, that's also very much what living with hearing loss is like. When my grandson opened his toy light sabre this morning, I thought he was saying "Life Savers" and thought it was cute that he was so excited.

Yup on  hearing - the conversations can get pretty hilarious - I try not to laugh in front of the very hard of hearing old ones - one too vain, and the other just stubborn re hearing aids.

I meant to say dumplings in a bag and not frozen can stick together in the rough and variable circumstances of the market.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, palo said:

Thanks for sharing!  I am clearly out of step with the mainstream as their top rated item, the Chili & Lime Flavored Rolled Tortilla Chips is the only TJ's product I would have returned on taste alone. I just tossed them but thought they were awful. 

40 minutes ago, palo said:

Do I read that as the Unexpected Cheddar is no longer?

1 minute ago, blue_dolphin said:

Not to worry, it’s in the TJ's Hall of Fame: https://www.traderjoes.com/home/discover/stories/product-hall-of-fame

Good to know! Thanks

• Like 1

Id like to report :

Ive had two of the

TJ's Choc Palette .

Im a fan of dark chocolate 

and the sort of chocolate 

See's made some time ago 

as I have not had Buffet's offering 

[ Ed. : no implication intended w the above ---  Might Be Better  }

dark chocolate ' turtle '  

so :  I started on the bottom  the Milk area

it goes up to dark

and  I enjoyed each .

I think @Paul Bacino

got this right :

a couple after dinner ...

if you are really good , One on the Pillow ?

as these days area these days

approx :  $ 1 //  an Oz   

Free Panache ?

these certainly have their place 

and will do very finely there .

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone know how to complain

to TJ's , w the hope of Corporate Enlightenment ?

even the tiny-is bit ?

in my TJ's , theynhave varies Wraps.

in cellophane.  whole.

they have different wraps , cut at an angle 

in those nefarious and annoying plastic 

' clam shells '

this maybe a environmental issue

but for me , its Ignorant Corporate Stupidity 

very different from Savvy Corporate Greed.

my Fav Turkey wrap was ' out ' for a few days

only to appear 

Clam Shelled.

Im willing to actually take the time

to  

1 ) write a letter , use a stamp ect

or

2 ) study a few more bottles of Plonk , right now.

Balloons are one thing

Clam shells quite another

drunk.jpeg.d43e8f3a972b773e97e34117f8ad00c4.jpeg

Is it the cut that bothers you? Exposed edges? PIA to open? Be specific with them. I can see their possible notion being that it is more enticong to customer to "see inside" poerhaps.

• Like 2

@rotuts, I read of your clamshell distaste just before heading out to TJ's myself.  No wraps in clamshells to be seen.  There were 2 types of packaging, both cardboard + plastic wrap. 

This one for most of the wraps:

IMG_3994.thumb.jpeg.5a7ad88121d210239a3d3e5872a5d22b.jpeg

And this bigger one for the wraps that come with a sauce or hummus, etc.

IMG_3995.thumb.jpeg.45cc40b03bdc9b03f456dd3ecd8f05c1.jpeg

• Like 2

@blue_dolphin 

thank you 

very interesting 

Coast - to - Coast

bit more recyclables 

good, but 

well 

not that this is an Intelligent 

qwseationg 

does cutting the warps