• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

Kerry Beal

I went to TJ's this AM

Ive started to use ' bagged ' lettuce.

I know ....

they had Bibb a week or so ( bagged ) ago

and was looking forward to that

none to be had , but plenty of other types

got this :

IMG_1221.thumb.jpg.02ac2563aebc7530108ad4d661d2a34e.jpg

bespoke ChocChips.

best by 4/26/22

4 days away.  no problem at all.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

Im pleased I tried these cookies 

Ill place them in the ' not crisp '

category .  there is some crispness in the outer bits

these are , to me , chewy cookies .

Im less of a fan of that sort of cookie these day .

seems there is an immediate calorie bombe  ( from oil ? )

that does not seem to appeal to me these days.

Im preferring a crispier cookie , w/o too much 

'' instant calorie backlash '   

however , I think the ingredients are first rate .

Im hope to come up w something for the remainders

soon , and tasty 

back in the day , I make Toll House cookies

all the time ,  w add ins of posted pecans etc.

those , right out of the oven 

were not crispy , and inhaled and enjoyed 

after the Mouth-Burn point 

just passed 

• Like 2

@rotuts - I'm a big fan of chewy-crisp oatmeal cookies with dark chocolate covered dried cranberries (these are mine since no one I know makes them).  Actually, I'm a fan of most oatmeal cookies - they are probably my favorite.  The best store-bought ones I've found are the fresh-baked ones at Lidl, though finding them there can be hit-or-miss.  I'd probably like those and will look for them next time I'm there.  

When I was in Trader Joe's on Friday, I was looking for the green onion pancakes.  An employee asked if he could help me and when he heard what I was looking for, he said that they had none in stock but he'd look on the computer and see if some were due in.  He told me to continue my shopping and he's catch up to me.  When he found me again, he said that they were due into the local distribution center on the 26th (today) and should be in the store by the 28th.  He said to give them a call to make sure they were there and that they would set aside some for me.  Nice service.  Hope they appear, as promised.

• Like 5

Cacio e pepe puffs were blech. I mindlessly munched through a bunch, realized they really didn't taste enough of cheese to keep eating them, and threw the remainder out. Only $1.99, so no great loss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

today :

IMG_1231.thumb.jpg.8f5cc58167db54855295ff1e292bcc90.jpg

IMG_1237.thumb.jpg.113643d5d4fe03e49181d18a4794cebc.jpg

this is my second TL cake from TJ's.  the first was inhaled 2 days ago .

if like ' cake and ice-ream '   w/o  surgar-ie frosting 

this should be a consideration .  if you had 3L cake from a HIspanic bakery

I can't say if this is even close to that.

but , its a yellow cake w vanilla and something else flavoring

and the cake is wet , the  melted ice cream it right there in the cake !

I love it .

I asked if it was ' seasonal '   and you bet , If I really like someting

its seasonal .

Id enjoy hearing how this cake compares w a hispanic bakeries 

mostly on the the intensity of the 3L flavoring .

• Like 3

@cdh 

a fellow TJ's lasagna student !

I noted recently , that there is a 

Family Sized Fz lasagna 

Ive enjoyed the refrigerated  ' meat ' version

several times , and wished TJ's had some

very good béchamel , to pour over that .

so 

has anyone tired the Fz Family Sized ?

TJFSP.jpg.198023c83388c21ab0b390dbfb980a16.jpg

this may or may not be what was in the Fz case at TJ's

but , something like that ?

I've not tried the refrigerated version... never even  noticed there was an unfrozen lasagna option.  The frozen one that was missing from the freezer last trip is the default lasagna I go for.  But the new Florentine is a worthy addition to the lineup... hope they restock on the meat lasagna _and_ keep the spinachy one around too.  They usually have a frozen meat, and a frozen "veggie" whatever that is... probably ratatouille layered between noodles, which does not appeal. 

Edited by cdh (log)
  • Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

today :

IMG_1231.thumb.jpg.8f5cc58167db54855295ff1e292bcc90.jpg

IMG_1237.thumb.jpg.113643d5d4fe03e49181d18a4794cebc.jpg

this is my second TL cake from TJ's.  the first was inhaled 2 days ago .

if like ' cake and ice-ream '   w/o  surgar-ie frosting 

this should be a consideration .  if you had 3L cake from a HIspanic bakery

I can't say if this is even close to that.

but , its a yellow cake w vanilla and something else flavoring

and the cake is wet , the  melted ice cream it right there in the cake !

I love it .

I asked if it was ' seasonal '   and you bet , If I really like someting

its seasonal .

Id enjoy hearing how this cake compares w a hispanic bakeries 

mostly on the the intensity of the 3L flavoring .

Come visit me. We will share a tres leches cake from the Mexican bakery. Sinfully good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 4/28/2022 at 8:30 PM, kayb said:

Come visit me. We will share a tres leches cake from the Mexican bakery. Sinfully good.

We have a few of these wonderful places popping up.  One of them makes a strawberry version during strawberry season.  It is indescribably good.  

• Thanks 1

@kayb 

I wish I could.

does the local TLCake  

seem ' wet '   ie ice cream melted 

built in ?

would you , in your daily activities 

visit that bakery 

pics would be terrific 

[ed.:  he can take it , but we have to see  ]

Well, I was destined to be disappointed in my quest for the pancakes.  When I got to TJ's, it turned out what they had was NOT the Taiwanese green onion pancakes, but the Korean ones with vile mushrooms and carrots!  😠

I did manage to snag a Tres Leches cake for our very American Cinco de Mayo celebration on the 5th - crunchy tacos, black beans, and Rice a Roni Spanish rice 😂!   We'll be celebrating Jessica's best friend's birthday, too, so I'll just stick a candle in it and call it festive!  LOL

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Well, I was destined to be disappointed in my quest for the pancakes.  When I got to TJ's, it turned out what they had was NOT the Taiwanese green onion pancakes, but the Korean ones with vile mushrooms and carrots!  😠

Don't waste tears. I reported my first go as disappointed because I think I had a taste memory of ones I have made and bought that I enjoyed. I did a second a bit ago and - not enthused. I made the mistake of seeing the calories boldly displayed in nutrition info. I generally dislike the term "not worth the caloris" but it applies for me. 3 left in pack. I'm cleaning out freezer in anticipation of dad & wife coming for a bit (they stuff it) so may try once more woith @rotuts comment in mind that they can be a nice greasy sorta snack - so a lower bar.

Last visit I picked up their frozen corn & cheese arepas. Not as good as I have had in Miami but I do like them. Wasn’t able to find the Taiwanese pancakes or Amarena cherries but will look again next time. I’m concerned that the cherries have been discontinued — hoping they are a seasonal item and will reappear.

17 minutes ago, curls said:

Last visit I picked up their frozen corn & cheese arepas. Not as good as I have had in Miami but I do like them. Wasn’t able to find the Taiwanese pancakes or Amarena cherries but will look again next time. I’m concerned that the cherries have been discontinued — hoping they are a seasonal item and will reappear.

When I asked in the store, I was told the Amarena cherries were a seasonal item though I’m not sure what that season is!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, rotuts said:

@kayb 

I wish I could.

does the local TLCake  

seem ' wet '   ie ice cream melted 

built in ?

would you , in your daily activities 

visit that bakery 

pics would be terrific 

[ed.:  he can take it , but we have to see  ]

I will go and photograph when I het back home.

• Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

When I asked in the store, I was told the Amarena cherries were a seasonal item though I’m not sure what that season is!

Around these parts, the Amarena cherries show up around the beginning of the winter holiday season - I start looking for them in late October/early November and as soon as they show up I always snag two or three jars, because they're never around for more than a week or two.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Patty

I went to TJ's this AM and returned with 2 good finds.  

The Duc du Normandie calvados is usually a seasonal item available in the Nov, Dec time frame.  It's a nice calvados at a good price ($19.99)and I use it in Chuck Taggart's very festive Réveillon cocktail.  I never found any this year.  They do seem to shelve it in random spots so it could be that I just didn't look carefully enough but today I spied a bottle on the shelf and snagged it so now I'm ready for next winter 🤣

Also @rotuts's $2.99 Malbec finally turned up on the left coast so I picked up a couple of bottles to test out. 

They were out of regular cream cheese (just had the "lite" stuff) but the tater tots that had been MIA for months were back.

Edited to add that the Malbec is surprisingly nice for the price.  I'll go back and get more. Click below to see @rotuts's post that has photos of the label:

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 3

We had the Tres Leches cake last night with our ersatz Cinco de Mayo.  The cake was quite good, we thought.  I do not understand how you have something as moist as this and it doesn't just dissolve into mush, but it doesn't:

IMG_9171.jpg.9b6c881833fc963f319585d54aef28f7.jpg

IMG_9172.jpg.b445a5f111802a2b0deb51738af77958.jpg

It was also our guest's birthday a couple of days ago.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1