• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

Kerry Beal

the mushroom Umami  was too salty for me

Green Goddess is not quite as salty and I like it and will use it ' low dose '

the Ajika is also very nice , no salt .  good deal of heat , maybe some sweetness ?

a keeper.

• Thanks 1

You could stretch your 'umami' spice blend if you stock some of the ingredients on the list. I've been making similar for years but I do like making my own spice blends. So understand if it is not a pleasure for most. A shame salt is listed first. Mine has no salt and a 5th of the price to make at home. 

A similar spice blend I've use excessive for years. From a historian Italian cook that says soaked dried and powdered mushrooms have been used for decades in Italy on proteins. Porcini dry rubs, under and on the skin of chickens, beef, pork....not often, but came across it again recently I think Lydia (?). 

I made a batch last night needing at least 5 tBsp for a braised pork shoulder tomorrow. (I added the RG bean club spice bottle for scale).

--And another spice I need to dilute with less acidic ingredients. I dilute by at least a third. 

I stock pound bags of at least 3 dried mushrooms in rotation---always porcini for the intense flavor and aroma. 

I've not cleaned up yet so I may make another batch. 

IMG_2594.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is an old pic when attempting to help someone about the salt content on another forum. Most indifferent. "I just use a pinch"...but without the salt I use a heaping Tsp on a 3 ounce burger slider. Brilliant for a nice quick bark adding a bit of coconut palm sugar.

I suppose this is no different than those that want recipes mocking their favorite fast food or 'Panera' or chipotle. 

UMAMI SPICE.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

the mushroom Umami  was too salty for me

Green Goddess is not quite as salty and I like it and will use it ' low dose '

the Ajika is also very nice , no salt .  good deal of heat , maybe some sweetness ?

a keeper.

Have you used the Ajika on anything yet? If so, what? Or are these just your initial tasting notes?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

ini9tial tastings anf thoughts

the various things I start with

these days is  limited 

by choice

im very fond of Green Heat

and the new TJ's dried hath chili

is a go to itsm for me

but the Ajika would now be my 

Res choice.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 9:38 AM, Kerry Beal said:

Actually the beer store in Little Current on Manitoulin still has the bottles on the wall 

There a few small "liquor agents" in remote parts of BC (usually combined with a couple of other businesses) where you have to ask for what you want and they bring it out from a back room.

• Like 1

I'm excited. A friend coming in from Arizona tomorrow and she wants to see the ocean and go to Trader Joes. Voila - one 10 minutes away w/ Catalina Island view! So I've read through the last pages and made a wish list. Really hoping to find those frozen Taiwanese green onion pancakes. It has been several years since my last visit ("bless me Father for I have sinned it has been several years since my last confession") but hoping to find the Inca corn (giant corn nuts), Oregon hazelnuts (I buy raw and roast small batches), house brand Dijon mustard. They used to have some ripple potato chips that were super crunchy and I'll check out the dark chocolate selection and snag a nice cheese. Will report back. Not my usual TJ ocation so I'll hve to do every aisle rather than hone in what I know. My friend is a patient person.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 3

Very much like our store in Orillia - they store the beer in a refrigerated storeroom in the back - so if you want to have a cold one on the drive home/?????

Actually I think all the beer stores in Ontario have the same setup - unless they're a really small outlet that doesn't have room for cold storage - their customers have to drink warm beer on the way home 😝

p

17 minutes ago, palo said:

Not to be an a**hole (though I may be!) but hone/home which would you use?

p

damn you caught me. I just got that correction recently (frequently misused words thing) Home to the target item I suppose  - anyway ya get my meaning ;) 

2 hours ago, dscheidt said:

and the conveyor belt to bring the cases out from the back? 

Indeed - but more often the empties go on the conveyor and they carry out the cases from the back 

im surprised at the taste difference

tomatoes on the vine  were my

go to tomato  

aged in a brown bag w an apple or two

the campari had tomato flavor , 

which initially surprised me

and why Ive switched

the ToV  were probably thinking about tomato

but not diligently

• Like 2

Similarly, cherry tomatoes purchased at the supermarket were much better than the grape tomatoes. I've been disappointed with tomatoes on the vine, as well.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

2 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

Similarly, cherry tomatoes purchased at the supermarket were much better than the grape tomatoes. I've been disappointed with tomatoes on the vine, as well.

Me too - always cherry on hand. Juicy, tart, flavor at least. Grape ones even from a Farmers Market - they last but are useless, to me, in terms of flavor. One packet of the black tomatoes that were rotten on the bottom turned me off them forever (TJs). Could not see from way packed. Was not gonna haul back to complain, though I called to ask them to check their stock out.

and I note this :

the Campari ( out, but on order ) from TJ's

had true tomato flavor , as long as you tried to get the reddest ones

remembering a remark from 

@JoNorvelleWalker 

I checked @ MarketMasket 

they had them , and I leaned C's come from different vendors

and the ones sold @ MB   ( a brand name ive never heard of and forgotten )

had more tomato to them than TJ's

one whole US buck more a pound

but Im worth it

as long as Im already their 

So we got to Trader Joes. Not crowded. Plans... well I topped self from over indulging and coud not find all I had on list but happy wth my haul. There were vac pacced marnated olives I couukd not find and sweet guy looked al over, got me some snacking ones off a pallet that just arrived, and then found us again and said the ones I wanted were allegedly returning but not for some time. Made for a nice shopping experience. Ocean view did not hurt.

tjhaul.thumb.JPG.1f279d49f6c9b88c367c9d1a4936a798.jpeg

Edited by Smithy
Rotated photo as poster's request (log)
  • Like 6

IMG_1017.thumb.jpg.2ee0b416a58f0e2d54231ce8f252ef89.jpg

Walk right on by.

dry .  very little peanut butter flavor .

no buttery taste at all .

Id grind them up and give them to the birds 

but it would probably kill them.

Squirrels  ?   not even them.

• Sad 2

On 3/12/2022 at 2:43 PM, Annie_H said:

IMG_2594.jpeg

I am curious about the Mesquite Powder… I am familiar with the trees, but have no experience with it as a seasoning. What are you finding that you like to do with it?

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

It is ground from the seed pods. Smells amazing. Notes of molasses, coconut, slightly sweet. 

31 minutes ago, BetD said:

I am curious about the Mesquite Powder… I am familiar with the trees, but have no experience with it as a seasoning. What are you finding that you like to do with it?

I use it in a few of my spice blends. The same spice house makes a seasoning blend using it that I make a version of using their lead.

Here is the website copy page for a description---MRH mesquite powder

• Like 2

You'll see it used a few ways in @gfron1's cookbook, if you have a copy.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 3/15/2022 at 1:33 PM, chromedome said:

You'll see it used a few ways in @gfron1's cookbook, if you have a copy.

I do… thank you,  I will go renew my acquaintance with it! 

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

I just read the packaging on the Taiwanese green onion pancakes as I plan to cook one up to use wth dinner tonight. They are actually imported from Taiwan - I'd assumed the style was Taiwanese!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1