• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

Kerry Beal

On 8/11/2021 at 12:29 PM, blue_dolphin said:

My TJ's is currently offering these little St. Albans cheeses from Vermont Creamery for $3.99.  They are reportedly VT Creamery's take on St. Marcellin.  I'm always a sucker for anything that comes in a cute little crock.  

IMG_4188.thumb.jpeg.34d0196f2a30b2af51108b4251da56f2.jpeg

I was able to score one last week, as they were stocking the cheese area. Asked about it and was told, buy it now, it's all we're getting! Stinky and delicious.

And that mobay you wrote about above which was lovely - no mas!

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Vermont Creamery 

has some outstanding 

Brie // Camembert // styles cheeses

I had them for a long time

and , if you select the oldest 

in the cheese case , and bring them along at room temp

they are as good or better than

any FR similar style  

@ the  ' very good ' level  ( FR )

I hope to get to Tj's as soon as it cools off.

pls consider airing this cheese

( the St. Albans )   if you like that sort of thing

• Like 3

On 8/11/2021 at 12:29 PM, blue_dolphin said:

My TJ's is currently offering these little St. Albans cheeses from Vermont Creamery for $3.99.  They are reportedly VT Creamery's take on St. Marcellin.  I'm always a sucker for anything that comes in a cute little crock.  

I put the crock into the oven while I was heating the take-and-bake baguette and it was delicious when warmed up like that. 

IMG_4187.thumb.jpeg.6b88b6833620b807b19116d288bdc2df.jpeg

I'll also give a shout-out to the Giardino Pinot Grigio delle Venezie Vivace Rose.  It's a very easy-drinking, slightly fizzy rosé.  $3.99.  Too lazy to take a photo but you can see it here on the importer's IG.

Thanks for mentioning the Vermont Creamery cheese. I went to Trader Joe’s today to see if I could get some. They had plenty in stock and I picked up three. I don’t know why but they are a $1 more in DC area and are going for $4.99. Let one cheese sit out while we were having dinner and shared it for dessert. A tasty cheese! Thank you @blue_dolphin!

I also picked up some fresh figs, brioche split top buns, their Cuban Style Citrusy Garlic Seasoning Blend, and their refrigerated pesto. I hadn’t tried their Cuban spice blend (https://www.traderjoes.com/home/products/pdp/065967) before but I like it and am looking forward to experimenting with it.

Edited by curls (log)
  • Like 3

I also got a couple of the St. Albans cheeses for $4.99 here in Kansas City. My only complaint is that they are so small. I easily could have eaten the entire thing, but stopped myself. I had it with the Rosemary Sfogliette. Delicious! I'd have gotten more because they did not have many, but the expire date was very soon. I hope it will be back.

My store also had the figs that looked beautiful, but I knew I could not use them this week, so passed on them. 

I did pick up a new spice blend that I haven't seen before -- Ajika Georgian Seasoning. Ajika I have not tried it yet.

• Like 4

Deb

Liberty, MO

51 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

I also got a couple of the St. Albans cheeses for $4.99 here in Kansas City. My only complaint is that they are so small. I easily could have eaten the entire thing, but stopped myself. I had it with the Rosemary Sfogliette. Delicious! I'd have gotten more because they did not have many, but the expire date was very soon. I hope it will be back.

Yes, they are little, just under 3 oz. The Vermont Creamery website says, "fondue for two." That was kind of the appeal for me but I can see it being tough to share with a hungry sort!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think I forgot to post about it a few weeks ago, but I got a loaf of the Organic Super Bread. It is full of nuts and seeds and also has grated dried apple, carrots and even a bit of banana. You don't really taste the fruit, but it gives it a slight sweetness. I was iffy when I got it then. Had a sandwich on it, which was a terrible idea. But toasted with butter, it is really nice. So nice, that I bought another loaf yesterday. 🙂

Organic Super Bread

• Like 2

Deb

Liberty, MO

• 2 weeks later...

Tj's was empty this AM

I usually blitz , and haven't been there in a while

so I poked around

on just a little and got these :

IMG_0186.thumb.jpg.cc11a5ea43cf23e8ddd6689cdf6a88de.jpg

Id forgotten TJ's has a large honey selection

' enough for me ' canned fish selection

I tasted the honey , it was superb.

Ill google the Dorage

after i try them

• Like 4

I went to our local Trader Joe's yesterday for one specific item...an item I've purchased before, actually - a bag of shallots, from France.

They were not in stock; just the rather absurdly large ones, loose, at $.69 per, so I passed on them.

But...I spotted these and took home a bag...

IMG_4764.thumb.JPG.30449f711c6ba94ff47239b5a8405997.JPG

Not in the most wonderful condition upon opening the bag, but might be fun roasted on the Pazaar Közmatik.

• Like 6

Tasty Travails - My Blog

picked up a few new items for me :

IMG_0239.thumb.jpg.15ac15c1932b2fe4bf7c98f21b81f8ec.jpg

the orange chicken bowl is decent.  there were two Chinese take out places near me.

one had very good Orange Chicken , but burnt down ( no injuries ) several years ago

the other had a decent Hunan Crispy Chicken , and Singapore  Noodles.

the MagnifiSauce is very close if not identical to McD special Sauce.

Tod Wilbur had the Rx in one of his many and interesting books

he now sells the stuff :

https://topsecretrecipes.com/spices

the honey from New Zealand is nice.  it was about $ 3.89 or so.  next to it

in a similar bottle was another honey form NewZealand , it was $ 13. 99  

I passed on that one.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Got this Red Butte Hatch Chile cheese from Beehive Cheese in Utah. Can't remember if I've tried it before or not. Cheddar style, so a much more flavorful cheese than a pepper jack but not super aged  - the texture is much more creamy than crumbly. Hatch chile flavor is present but subtle with little heat, though I can't rule out the possibility of a hot bit sneaking in. Will have to try it in a grilled cheese. 

It's $9.99 at TJ's.  Info from Beehive Cheese's website at this link

IMG_4403.thumb.jpeg.58ca88c7df182b3939c0464411e8b342.jpeg

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

some time ago

Id posted I had this , to try :

ddddd.thumb.jpg.c3fbefd77ff739965848ccef70bd1e38.jpg

Well , recently

a few days ago

there was a notice , at My Local

Discontinued  !

well , I Tab Pulled ,

my can, successfully .

my review :

neutral oil  

whitefish , a bit tough 

with nothing else happening 

for me

MC  { Ed.:  MisterCat ] 

was very very interested.

• Like 4

On 9/25/2021 at 6:38 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Red Butte Hatch Chile cheese from Beehive Cheese in Utah

I bought some of that and put it out when our hunter was here.  I thought it was just ok.  Edible and everything, but I wanted more hatch Chile flavor.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I bought some of that and put it out when our hunter was here.  I thought it was just ok.  Edible and everything, but I wanted more hatch Chile flavor.

I agree, the Hatch chile flavor was subtle. 

57 minutes ago, rotuts said:

some time ago

Id posted I had this , to try :

ddddd.thumb.jpg.c3fbefd77ff739965848ccef70bd1e38.jpg

there was a notice , at My Local

Discontinued  !

well , I Tab Pulled ,

my can, successfully .

my review :

neutral oil  

whitefish , a bit tough 

with nothing else happening 

for me

MC  { Ed.:  MisterCat ] 

was very very interested.

I bought a tin of that fish, too.   Found some reviews on reddit.  My favorite:  "It tasted like the color beige." 

You encouraged me to open it.  Mashed up the skin with a little meat and some of the broth and offered to cats. Patrick sampled a bit and left.  Michael cleaned up the rest.  If it's discontinued, there's really no point in figuring out the best use of it so I'll probably give them the rest. 

• Like 3

As my husband used to work in that business, I can confirm that some, but not all, TJ's products are made by the brand name company. They know how to tweak the recipe just enough. However, sometimes they wouldn't want to play (or reduce their price enough), so that's where his company came in...they formulated "knock offs" for manufacturing in alternate facilities.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

i wonder if Tj's makes anything at all .

they don't make Nuts , Cheese , Wine 

they contract out Id think.

sometimes they ' buy out '  the entire stock

of something if they think it would sell well 

at the given price .

a zillion years ago

in CA , where TJ's sells wine , beer , and liquor 

I was going to buy a bottle of GranMariner 

the check out clerk pointed out a very very large display

of an orange liquor , from FR

that had a completely different bottle shape

and was about 1/2 the price he said it was very good

I tried it and it was very very good.

since i didn't by the original GM , I did not taste them side by side

went back to buy a few more bottles

came back a day or so later for a few more

all gone , and that was that.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

Occasionally the frequent Flyer, in responding to complaints about discontinuances and shortages, will explain their bulk purchasing. Allowing for the deals but no guarantee of steady supply.

• Like 4

On 8/11/2021 at 11:29 AM, blue_dolphin said:

I put the crock into the oven while I was heating the take-and-bake baguette and it was delicious when warmed up like that. 

IMG_4187.thumb.jpeg.6b88b6833620b807b19116d288bdc2df.jpeg

I'll also give a shout-out to the Giardino Pinot Grigio delle Venezie Vivace Rose.  It's a very easy-drinking, slightly fizzy rosé.  $3.99.  Too lazy to take a photo but you can see it here on the importer's IG.

Are those little crocks glass/porcelain? They look like about the right size to put chicken liver pate in for Christmas gifts.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

59 minutes ago, kayb said:

Are those little crocks glass/porcelain? They look like about the right size to put chicken liver pate in for Christmas gifts.

They're ceramic of some sort.  They say freezer-oven-microwave safe on the bottom.  They're very small and hold a little over 3 oz, filled to the top.  Cute though.  I should have picked up a few more while they had them.  It's the story of Trader Joe's!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, kayb said:

12 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

They're ceramic of some sort.  They say freezer-oven-microwave safe on the bottom.  They're very small and hold a little over 3 oz, filled to the top.  Cute though.  I should have picked up a few more while they had them.  It's the story of Trader Joe's!

I use one of them to keep some butter in, out of the fridge. But they are pretty darn small.

I brought home some bluefish paté from Cafe Katja the other day (they make and serve both their bluefish paté and their liverwurst in these Ball jars (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)), and they're really a perfect size for your chicken liver or other patés being gifted.  

image.thumb.png.091daadeeaa3a8d42cb41c95ed21d760.png

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Butternut Squash and Pumpkin Bisque, in the refrigerated section (plastic container). I bought this for lunch at work (microwaved) and shared with a co-worker. Not the overly sweet flavor like usual, this was definitely savory with a noticeable taste of sage. A good stand-in since I haven't gotten into soup-making mode yet.

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2020 at 2:14 PM, blue_dolphin said:

The TJ's Reserve Brut Rosé North Coast Sparkling wine that makes its appearance around the holidays every year has been back for a few weeks now, along with its non-rosé sibling for the usual $9.99/bottle. They also had the “Platinum Reserve” brut sparkler for $14.99.  Nice, but not head and shoulders above the $9.99 “Reserve,” at least to me.  Both usually disappear after the holidays, sometimes before New Year’s, so if you are optimistic about having things to celebrate next year, now's the time to stock up!

These inexpensive sparklers have made their annual appearance at my local TJ's.  The rosé is my favorite.  Sometimes it lasts in the stores 'til Christmas, sometimes a little longer.  Always worth stocking up for celebrations over the course of the year.

I need to remember to look for those holiday maple syrup gift packs as they usually elude me!

• Like 3