• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

Kerry Beal

"Trader Joe's Rolled Back The Price Of Its 'Two Buck Chuck' Wine So It's Actually $2 Once Again"

The early 2000s brought this world a lot. Most notably, it began the era of $1.99 bottles of Trader Joe’s Charles Shaw wine that’s widely referred to as “Two Buck Chuck.” Since its debut, the budget-friendly wine saw an increase in price over the years–you know, inflation plus varying state distribution costs and taxes–but California maintained the two-buck price for over a decade before it, too, rose. Now, it’s finally back to the OG price, so it can once again live up to its nickname.

Note the price rollback is currently only happening in California.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

CA is much more efficient on its added-on costs

here in MA , its at least $ 1 a bottle

for a handler that never handles the bottle.

but has outstanding connections to Our Fine State Legislators.

this is true.

16 hours ago, Toliver said:

"Trader Joe's Rolled Back The Price Of Its 'Two Buck Chuck' Wine So It's Actually $2 Once Again"

Note the price rollback is currently only happening in California.

I noticed big "Two Buck Chuck is Back" signs at my TJ's recently.  I don't buy it. I don't find it vile as others do, it's just uninteresting and I was thinking that it must have been out of stock.  Thanks for explaining that it's the "Two Buck" part that's back!

• 1 month later...

I got this the other day :

775961180_PGs.thumb.jpg.c73dec3684ff3aac583cbe43345b5020.jpg

Ill use some in my Ravioli Soupish tonight

it was suggested I think by @blue_dolphin I think

Im wondering if I should Get My Head (Re)Examined.

everything is baby.    I given my thoughts on that elsewhere.

Id have preferred Middle Aged.   I used to have a garden and I know the difference.

these days , a little more Power might be helpful

will report back

here or the Dinner Thread.

• Haha 4

@rotuts, are you able to get spinach in bunches? It's a little more work than simply opening a bag and washing the contents, but I think there's a lot more flavor that way.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

9 minutes ago, Smithy said:

@rotuts, are you able to get spinach in bunches? It's a little more work than simply opening a bag and washing the contents, but I think there's a lot more flavor that way.

That is the way I prefer to buy spinach. It is a bit more work but it’s worth it Peariant the last few times I bought frozen spinach it tasted like fish!

• Confused 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

R.I.P. Joe 

Joe Coulombe, who created Trader Joe’s with a vision that college-educated but poorly paid young people would flock to a store that stocked healthy foods at bargain prices, died late on Friday. He was 89.

• Sad 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

20 minutes ago, Alex said:

R.I.P. Joe 

Yes what a legacy.  The original was my local. Exposed us to so much different but affordable food. Where else could a poor student get Mumm's champagne affordably in the late 70's. 

• 5 weeks later...

Trader Joe's is possibly coming to Ithaca, NY.

That would be good news for me, the potential location is just 30 miles away.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

• 1 month later...

Notes from my Local Tj's :

i decided to call them , re :  wine  ( Whine )

I get very decent table wine from them , currently my favorite

white is a blend I , the Home Whine Maker , have been studying for some time :

Maricool Muscadet :  3/4 :   Trader Joes Costal ( CA ) Chardonay 1/4.

TJ's  had  ( globally ? )  3,000 +++ cases of the MM.   its , you see from FR

and its not clear to me if or when  wine from FR will either Dry Up , or not

so they said , you can order by the case , they dont mind , other customers dont seem to mind

and a lot of customers at my Local TJ's have been doing this w no problems !

looks like Luke Warm Tap water for me has been pushed back !

Hurray for TJ's and all those in all service industries that are helping us all get by.

money-mouth.gif.54b6df4d8c75fdccbe3fdc1766ab93e7.gif

drunk.jpeg.4bd5ee7c38d3962aaa3485c3c2ca4fe1.jpeg

suprise.gif.b3868ae47273db34c8725aa55d0cd58d.gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, rotuts said:

looks like Luke Warm Tap water for me has been pushed back !

Yours comes out of the tap already lukewarm? Such a convenience...I have to leave mine sit out in the Brita for a couple of hours after it's filled. :P

• Haha 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Lucky 7 seed and grain batard...very tasty. "Artisan style". I like inclusions in my bread, this has 7: sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, millet, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, flax seeds, oats. Had some for breakfast with jarlsberg cheese also purchased at TJ's.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 2 weeks later...

just got back from my first trip ti TJ's in quite some time.

2 months +++?

I was getting thirsty , and called them a week ago or so

they had my two table white wines I  mix , and the same price 

and plenty of them.   they order what i want , and it shows up from a NE warehouse 

in about a week or so.   

Seniors are 8 - 9.     Tj's is about 20 Min from my house.  I got there at 7:55 Am , and there was a short line

maybe 10 people waiting to get in.   line moved nicely at 8:00 AM.

they have the markers on the floor , for One Lane Traffic.  like IKEA

I did not see an Expressway ' No Speed Limit '  to get to the Wine Area ,which is in the back of the store

to the Left of the door.   Traffic starts on the right.    

They had my ( several ) cases ready at the check out.   the Seniors were mostly doing distancing correctly.

they had markers from the back of the store , for the grid-lock when they are busy 

One Lane to all the check out counters.   the counter had ' cough ' shields which I take it now days are standard.

I was surprised and pleased they were fully stocked .  I asked my WineBud , who brought the cases 

out to my car  ( two trips ! )  and she said stocking was the same now as its always been.

I stuck to just my cases and a few new suggestions from her on a 9.99 FR white ,

and a red she had recommended before C-19  that was the best of the table reds I was looking into

for the Cave at that time.

the new Vin :

W1.thumb.jpg.cd2c1b380b96e1123d2f55c42c7a5920.jpg

W2.thumb.jpg.44d9592f4bc399cc94cfb5d64a1ef682.jpg

Ill post here my Tasting Note soon.  both are $ 9.99.

my table Combo is $ 4.99 /bottle.  both at the same price.

very convenient . No Calculus needed to figure out the final cost of the Mix !

Now if only TJ's installed an ExpressWay to the Wine , w Vite Check Out .....

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 6

This lovely little soft cheese called Keep Dreaming from Dorothy's Creamery was displayed as the "Spotlight Cheese" at my TJ's when I visited on Monday.  The Dorothy's Creamery Facebook page says it will be at TJ's through the end of May.  

It's very nice.  The one has a "best by" date of June 4.  It's clearly soft and ready to enjoy.  I recommend trying it if you happen to see it available. 

43199766-CDFD-495D-BA1D-8990194AC043_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.0f30a13e531dcb36fa371b9ec43af503.jpeg

DF31F301-89CB-4484-A52E-3F20A5379A59_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c07e7ea73a9c6a247f70c4334df2cee4.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

This lovely little soft cheese called Keep Dreaming from Dorothy's Creamery was displayed as the "Spotlight Cheese" at my TJ's when I visited on Monday.  The Dorothy's Creamery Facebook page says it will be at TJ's through the end of May.  

It's very nice.  The one has a "best by" date of June 4.  It's clearly soft and ready to enjoy.  I recommend trying it if you happen to see it available. 

43199766-CDFD-495D-BA1D-8990194AC043_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.0f30a13e531dcb36fa371b9ec43af503.jpeg

DF31F301-89CB-4484-A52E-3F20A5379A59_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c07e7ea73a9c6a247f70c4334df2cee4.jpeg

It is lovely--use it promptly. We had it last Saturday. I pulled it out to eat some of what is left and it is on the edge. I will finish it today or it will be too late. I would definitely buy it again.

• Like 4

Deb

Liberty, MO

• 2 weeks later...

@blue_dolphin 

I found that same cheese at TJ's a few days ago

will try it today.   dont have any decent bread  but well

these are challenging times.

Ive been looking for a decent red table wine.  I tried previously 6 or so

I did try several new to me table Reds , by the wine dept recommendation "

when I picked up a load of my two whites :

1363635831_RWineF.thumb.jpg.0aa1e7c74db889faf253cfa3d2800a6b.jpg

1883985185_RWineB.thumb.jpg.f58fd994c0241560dcc6f6351b5f32f8.jpg

these are inexpensive Table Reds , not ChitChat wines

the Roustabout and Phigment are very very similar , very hard to tell a significant difference when tasted side-by-side

the VF is noticeably harsher , to my discerning palate.

prices :   VF  $ 4.99 ,   Roustabout $ 7.99 ,  Phigment $ 5.99

Im going w several cases of the Phigment , as I couldn't taste any reasonable difference between it and Routabout

2 $$   doesnt seem like a lot , I would have gone w it if there was a significant difference 

but there was not to me

after a few ( many many ) bottles , $ 2  adds up.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2