• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

Kerry Beal

two items from TJ's :

535499933_TJBBR.thumb.jpg.6e3dbc047ee2177d83dc7fa9187496a4.jpg

made this the same way as the Chicken-Poblano above :  stock / beaten egg / spinach / Parmesan-ish dice

very nice I though

and

Ciabb.thumb.jpg.58bab3bea7995089634acf69edf610d3.jpg

TJ's has some Ciabattini rolls , 1/2 baked   O.o

IMG_5429.thumb.jpg.eede18a995939f7cd6d97e9e8db63476.jpg

you finish the baking at home.   I cut them in 1/2 , and lightly toast them in the CSO

let cool , and now use for The Cheese Course.    my only other bread in the house is sourdough , and these are more interesting in a neutral flavor sense for cheese

the cheese on the bread is the now D/C'd   Spotlight cheese 

Rubius.  this is the last I had.  aged in a very cool kitchen cabinet 10 days or so.

it was Soooooooo much better than Right off the Bat.    they made Rubius a spotlight Cheese just to drive me crazy once i got the Age @ Home times close to right !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

Since I've moved to Denver I've been having trouble finding a couple of condiments. One of them is a really decent dijon mustard. The only French dijon for sale in these parts seems to be Maille. It's not my favorite, and it's really pricey. I've seen small jars on sale for $6. World Market has slightly better prices (and larger jars), but I've been looking for an alternative. I know ATK rates Grey Poupon highly but it tastes rather insipid to me, as do most of the U.S.A. made "gourmet" dijons I see in supermarkets.

Then the other day, I bought the French-made dijon and whole grain mustard at Trader Joe's and they were both excellent and very reasonably priced at well under $2 a bottle.

(The other condiment I haven't been able to find are salt-packed capers. Still no luck there.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chord said:

Since I've moved to Denver I've been having trouble finding a couple of condiments. One of them is a really decent dijon mustard. The only French dijon for sale in these parts seems to be Maille. It's not my favorite, and it's really pricey. I've seen small jars on sale for $6. World Market has slightly better prices (and larger jars), but I've been looking for an alternative. I know ATK rates Grey Poupon highly but it tastes rather insipid to me, as do most of the U.S.A. made "gourmet" dijons I see in supermarkets.

Then the other day, I bought the French-made dijon and whole grain mustard at Trader Joe's and they were both excellent and very reasonably priced at well under $2 a bottle.

(The other condiment I haven't been able to find are salt-packed capers. Still no luck there.)

We too like TJ's mustard and I stock up whenever we go.  We haven't been for quite a while and I just checked our supply.  We are down to our last full jar.  Time for another trip.  I believe it was @rotuts who put me on to that.  If there is an Italian grocer in Denver, check with them for salt-packed capers.  That's where I buy mine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kayb said:

When all else fails -- Amazon.

Thanks, but at over $17 for a small jar, that's too pricey for me. I used to pick them up at the Upper West Side Fairway for just a few dollars.

I've tried a few local Italian / European grocers, but so far no luck.

Edited by chord (log)

I would recommend going back to TJ's and stocking up on that mustard in case it is a seasonal thing.  They do that.  

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I had an almost failure of a product at TJ's.  We've been on a nuts and seeds kick lately, so I've been grabbing the various offerings at TJ's every other week or so.  Ended up with Thai Chile Lime Cashews.  They were.....weird.  Salty, tangy, spicy, but no cashew flavor left.   I thought about taking them back.  Cashews are my favorite and these I didn't think I would actively eat at snack time.  Then I had a light bulb go off in the head, chopped them and add to (canned) white meat chicken + mayo = thai chile lime cashew chicken salad.  It works!   Household thumbs up.  No need to return, and I'll probably buy them to add chicken salad in the future.

Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 5.53.34 PM.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Canneles were discussed  in another thread

seems a D/C  for TJ's right now

called yest and they saved me two

there were 12 in the freezer section , so I bought 4

get them while you can.

tjscanneles.jpg.6c4b149a7ed49060f98ce99cde119f86.jpg.993601d454e58de98e0b9e31a4b3a09e.jpg

these are to die for :

CMC.thumb.jpg.908bf624da7f78b5afce26d9ad133741.jpg

they come in different shapes at different times of the year.

you will eat the whole packages so plan accordingly

don't know what the next ' season ' is     might be halloween

* sigh *

• Like 4

I tried the Semi-dried Antipasto Vegetables and thought they were fantastic.  Had them as a side dish room temp.  The texture of the veg was not mushy, but toothsome and had lots of flavor.  The oil is subdued and not too much.

Product of Turkey, I know they sun dry a lot of veg in Turkey, so I wonder if these are sundried or?

I bought the antipasto cherry tomatoes and the grilled artichokes but have yet to open them.

Screen Shot 2019-04-19 at 11.29.57 AM.png

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I tried the Semi-dried Antipasto Vegetables and thought they were fantastic.  Had them as a side dish room temp.  The texture of the veg was not mushy, but toothsome and had lots of flavor.  The oil is subdued and not too much.

Product of Turkey, I know they sun dry a lot of veg in Turkey, so I wonder if these are sundried or?

I bought the antipasto cherry tomatoes and the grilled artichokes but have yet to open them.

Love these! Especially nice with Buratta and a bit of balsamic.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, rotuts said:

there were 12 in the freezer section , so I bought 4

You lost some eG credit here. Next time you should buy all of them, or at least lie and claim you did so.

Teo

• Haha 6

Teo

18 hours ago, lemniscate said:

These have become a staple in my pantry. I love them with pasta and sausage. Or, even mixed in with roasted potatoes or other veggies. Very versatile. The tomatoes, too.

• Like 2

Deb

Liberty, MO

it did cross my mind to clean them out

1)  i  hoped some one else might enjoy a few

2)  trying as always to empty the freezer.

now if there are any left Monday  ..............

On 4/19/2019 at 11:34 AM, lemniscate said:

2 thihgs:

I can share that when I intervuewed at the HQ it was made absolutely clear that customer serviice is a priority. They will find out for you.

2 - Yes suun dried. Check out this older eG blog from Turkey. https://forums.egullet.org/topic/96590-eg-foodblog-sazji-istanbul-glutfests/

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 5:54 AM, Maison Rustique said:

These have become a staple in my pantry. I love them with pasta and sausage. Or, even mixed in with roasted potatoes or other veggies. Very versatile. The tomatoes, too.

I stop in at TJ's often but usually on autopilot so I tend to miss new items. Thanks to @lemniscate's intro and @Maison Rustique's specific suggestion, I went in search of these and came home with 4 new-to-me items:

IMG_0661.thumb.jpg.d7e1afe009b3afe4bf2494e727614c7f.jpg

All the veg are in shelf-stable packs at RT, the mango sauce was in the refrigerated section and has a "use by" date that is fast approaching.  I'm looking forward to trying it on falafels, then we'll see what else it would work with.  Most of the reviews I've found online give me the impression that its flavors are more mild than potentially more authentic versions.  I have no experience to compare it to.

On 4/19/2019 at 11:34 AM, lemniscate said:

The packaging on the veg and tomatoes say they are dried in ovens, so prob not sun-dried.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I used some of the semi-dried cherry tomatoes in a quick pasta with broccoli and hot Italian sausage

IMG_0669.thumb.jpg.3c8e15635ab90c83b22fa6c5279ef3fd.jpg

Flavor-wise, they're similar to sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil.   You can probably tell from the photo that they retain more moisture than regular sun-dried so their texture is less dry and more tender.   

And since they're little cherry tomatoes, there's no need to chop them up, a nice convenience for me at the moment. 

I need to make some bruschetta with them next.  

• Like 3

I opened the cherry tomatoes yesterday.  So tender with none of the  chewiness, tooth space jamming up of the jarred versions.  Think butter soft and sweet sweet sweet..  I ate them on crackers with olives and cheese.  That was dinner.  I was happy.   I am going to buy lots of these tomatoes, I never liked sun dried tomatoes due to the texture previously.

Next up are those artichokes.

Edited by lemniscate
spelling (log)
  • Like 3

Idid get three of the items above

not the Mango

Im looking forward to used then

the NaCL  is not that bat

BTW

re :  the Canneles ?

aftwer I knew they D/c'd them

I went and and bought 4