• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

Kerry Beal

17 hours ago, MelissaH said:

OK, I'll be planning my slate of next week's Syracuse errands to include a TJ's stop. I'm way too intrigued by the freeze-dried grape idea. (As long as they don't resemble evil raisins in any way?)

I bought some of the freeze-dried grapes today and to confirm @patris's answer - there is nothing raisin-y about them.  Light, crisp, sweet and crunchy.  No dried-fruit flavor at all.

I also bought some of the ruby cacao wafers as I thought they would be fun to make some Valentine's chocolate chip cookies but the TJ's website blurb about them says not recommended for baking so I guess I'll have to come up with something else. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I bought some of the freeze-dried grapes today and to confirm @patris's answer - there is nothing raisin-y about them.  Light, crisp, sweet and crunchy.  No dried-fruit flavor at all.

I also bought some of the ruby cacao wafers as I thought they would be fun to make some Valentine's chocolate chip cookies but the TJ's website blurb about them says not recommended for baking so I guess I'll have to come up with something else. 

I wouldn't hesitate to try them in place of chocolate chips in cookies. I do it with regular chocolate wafers all the time - I never buy chocolate chips.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Enablers, all of you. I went to TJ’s and bought a bag of those wafers. Smacked my head later in the day because I really wanted to try the freeze dried grapes and forgot them.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

7 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

Enablers, all of you. I went to TJ’s and bought a bag of those wafers. Smacked my head later in the day because I really wanted to try the freeze dried grapes and forgot them.

If it makes you feel any better, my scarcity mentality kicked in HARD and not only did I buy 6 packages of Ruby wafers Thursday night, I went back this morning and bought another dozen. No idea what I’ll do with them, but I’ll think of something!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Patty

On 2/7/2019 at 5:23 PM, patris said:

My weekly TJs pilgrimage usually nets little more than a few routine items - mostly certain veg, cheeses, eggs and nuts - but this evening a couple things caught my eye and made their way into my cart.

F717F37E-8D94-4847-8A26-AA14A00A028A.thumb.jpeg.96e3a2f74b0f1fbb6dc37a26b2fd213a.jpeg

My local TJ’s is already out of the ruby cacao wafers! Apparently they only received one box and it was gone immediately. 😞

• Sad 3

I spent the last few days at a family gathering in Charleston SC.  We were celebrating the 80th birthdays of my dad and his twin brother.  We came from VA and FL and NC and shared a house with a big kitchen, so we had most of our dinners there.  My dad and uncle did "Happy Hour" each night.  This is not a vacation thing - they do it at home every day.  Well, Daddy's were from TJ's.  He brought the bacon wrapped scallops and the Parmesan Pastry Pups.  The scallops were fine, but the Pups were really good, I thought.  Of course, I was halfway through one of my uncle's infamous vodka tonics, so I could have been influenced by that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, patris said:

If it makes you feel any better, my scarcity mentality kicked in HARD and not only did I buy 6 packages of Ruby wafers Thursday night, I went back this morning and bought another dozen. No idea what I’ll do with them, but I’ll think of something!

Please don't buy out the entire supply in upstate NY, because I won't get to the closest TJs until Tuesday, which is still three days off!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I decided a needed a little adventure early this AM

went to Tj's w a brief stop at Walmart , on the way

the web said my local Wal had these two items :

Rancheritos

mentioned here :

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/155163-snacking-while-egulleting-part-3/?page=14&tab=comments#comment-2189178

by Smithy

20190209_172148.thumb.jpg.c2ff4a3073d2ef8b2e52a2c907da03c0.jpg.822ae8eff8c114d155d2090a4595e87b.jpg

and why not see what all the fuss is about this new double chocolate Oreos ?

my Walmart had neither !

at TJ's , more investigations :

1502409605_TJRC.thumb.jpg.e0b8200024968bf59f4409a9cb7a9b8c.jpg

had to at least try them before they sold out.  I do like chocolate.  Im sure the flavor notes have been discussed here at lengths 

to me , they tasted like white chocolate w some added raspberry flavor(u)r   too sweet really for me. but glad I tried them

so I had to find some consolation for my trip :

TJVCake.thumb.jpg.d5d7225469d6e3d9e5bdde35f3e5ce39.jpg

they were out of  Pound ' pancake' Bread.

the above will do until the shipment of PPB comes in.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, patris said:

You have been hanging around far too long with@Kerry Beal

Edited to add:  Refer to first post in this section of the topic. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm currently eating the Ruby Cacao Wafers. It is a little disconcerting because I expected sort of a white chocolate with berry undertone...but they really don't taste like white chocolate because you don't get that milky vanilla flavor. There's definitely a tangy/berry undertone but it almost tastes like a base of milk chocolate mixed with white chocolate. I think they would be very nice for dipped berries or cookie drizzle as has been done. I'm one and done on this purchase.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On 2/10/2019 at 9:45 AM, MelissaH said:

Please don't buy out the entire supply in upstate NY, because I won't get to the closest TJs until Tuesday, which is still three days off!

So somehow my TJs keeps getting restocked with Ruby Cacao, and I keep buying it. I have now laid in a supply that would probably qualify me for a Discovery Channel special, if not a whole series, on hoarding. If anyone really wants to try it and can't get it in your area, PM me and I'll send you some, at cost ($2.99 for 5 oz) plus postage.

Edited by patris
changed the price (log)
  • Like 5

Patty

On 2/12/2019 at 8:01 PM, pastrygirl said:

Re: ruby chocolate - I was surprised to see citric acid as an ingredient.  They're really trying to make it fruity, aren't they? 

I think the citric acid component is an effort to balance the sweet component, which I always support. I have citric acid on its own and pomegranate molasses in my arsenal because I adore that acidic component. 

I have not been able to get to TJ's and try the ruby chocolate, but your comment makes me even more interested.

> ^ . . ^ <

2 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I think the citric acid component is an effort to balance the sweet component, which I always support. I have citric acid on its own and pomegranate molasses in my arsenal because I adore that acidic component. 

Sure, and nothing wrong with citric acid itself, but it’s not a normal ingredient in chocolate. Usually if you want a less sweet chocolate you add less sugar, not sugar as the first ingredient then some acid to balance it. 

• Like 1

personally , not to Rain on your Parade ...........

some one is laughing all the way to the Bank.

the is sweet then tart and raspberry-ish.

first item on the ingredients list:  Sugar.   \\the second is Cocoa Butter , and the 4th Unsweetened Chocolate   

Ill give them that.  

and the last is Natural Flavor  raspberries Id guess.

but , to each their own.  my 1/2 pack is going back , or Ill send it to you for postage only 

then you can take it back !

suprise.gif.62166c5cab1a86b84ed8c625d0221dc9.gif

All I see going on here is expert marketing.

• Like 2

TJ's Ruby Cacao reminds me greatly of the coating on the TJ's Yogurt Stars cookies (discontinued a while back).   I like it, but I like white chocolate a lot.  I agree this is a very berry-like flavor.  TJ's was demoing it by dipping pretzels in it and drizzling it over fresh blackberries the other day. 

Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 6.58.57 AM.png

I figured the citric acid in the Ruby Cacao was to add or enhance the fruity flavor that's suggested by the color. I have no intention to eat them out of the bag but they were fun to use to decorate Valentine cookies and I'll use them for other Spring-time treats.  

I recently picked up an item from the Fearless Flyer that I will return.  The Chili & Lime Rolled Corn Tortilla Chips are coated with about 4X more seasoning powder than I care for - way too much sour/salty orange dust! They look like a take on the Doritos Dinamita Chile Limón Flavored Rolled Tortilla Chips.   TJ's used to (maybe still do) sell some Chili & Lime White Corn Tortilla Chips that I liked.  These?  Not so much!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, rotuts said:

personally , not to Rain on your Parade ...........

some one is laughing all the way to the Bank.

the is sweet then tart and raspberry-ish.

first item on the ingredients list:  Sugar.   \\the second is Cocoa Butter , and the 4th Unsweetened Chocolate   

Ill give them that.  

and the last is Natural Flavor  raspberries Id guess.

but , to each their own.  my 1/2 pack is going back , or Ill send it to you for postage only 

then you can take it back !

suprise.gif.62166c5cab1a86b84ed8c625d0221dc9.gif

All I see going on here is expert marketing.

Okay, I know you have a tart tooth as I do, and so I will take your word that this product is crap. Too bad that the concept is good but the execution sucks. I am going to quit ruing the fact that I cannot, right now walk to TJ's and be more complacent about that.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

there are so many 

truly remarkable 

Chocolatiers here

they has seen this Ruby Stuff 

at a few Chocolate Convientions

I do wonder if the Ruby Cacao Seed

might not be what it seems to be ?

Ruby Cacao Beans are mentioned on the

TJ's label

but not in the ingredients .