• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

Kerry Beal

I'd bet that meat sourcing and distribution is local, not national, at TJs.  Just like the bakery stuff.  So we're hearing that NYC and AZ TJs beef leaves something to be desired.  I don't generally buy meat at TJ's, but did purchase a super marbelled rib eye from them here in PA a couple of years back because it looked so good... and it was.  Never saw another comparable piece of beef at TJ's thereafter, but I had a great experience with one good looking super marbelled  steak.  

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

11 minutes ago, cdh said:

I'd bet that meat sourcing and distribution is local, not national, at TJs.  Just like the bakery stuff.  So we're hearing that NYC and AZ TJs beef leaves something to be desired.  I don't generally buy meat at TJ's, but did purchase a super marbelled rib eye from them here in PA a couple of years back because it looked so good... and it was.  Never saw another comparable piece of beef at TJ's thereafter, but I had a great experience with one good looking super marbelled  steak.  

Yes, good point and I was wondering about that myself! And I might try buying a steak there again, it's been a while and maybe things are different. 

Just discovered the TJ's whole wheat Tuscan pane bread - it's the closest thing I've seen to real bread from TJs! In all seriousness, it reminds me of the whole wheat sourdough from le Pain Quotidien, or the Poilâne bread available in London or Paris. Really excellent for supermarket bread

1 hour ago, Hassouni said:

Just discovered the TJ's whole wheat Tuscan pane bread - it's the closest thing I've seen to real bread from TJs! In all seriousness, it reminds me of the whole wheat sourdough from le Pain Quotidien, or the Poilâne bread available in London or Paris. Really excellent for supermarket bread

Quite excellent but mine does not carry it anymore!

I'm so frustrated.  Husband and I had to make a flying round trip to Des  Moines and back yesterday.  About 125 miles each way on rather iffy roads.  We made good time, he drove.  Anyway we ended up with about an hour to spare.  What to do and where to go?  Can you say Trader Joe?  And we did.

Now here's the sad part- next to  my computer at home is a list of all the amazing products you people share and I want to try.  Did I have the list with me?

No, of course not.  So I girded my loins and went to work filling the cart.  Just such a chore doncha know?  Ha. Husband kept darting off and returning with stuff to add.  Time was up and off we went to the check -out counter.  We had barely left the parking lot when I uttered . "Oh crap, pancake bread, now I remember"  Too late.  But I do have a stash of Cheddar Rockets, tamales, gingersnaps, sourdough bread, and lot of new frozen goodies to try as well as several different salsas and cheeses.

Since the last time we were there, a brand new Aldis has been built across the street.  Such temptation!

• Like 6

the PB might be there I hope for a while.

my weight might not like it.

I am indeed determined to make Bananas Foster with it

Ive got all I need.

Tj's has some nice vanilla ice cream to boot.

No Rum in my area

Total Wine will come through for me for that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

( possibly ) Good News !

Tj's Pancake Bread is not seasonal !

suprise.gif.fcf037d37be9c18d1e75864bbf4c8636.gif

money-mouth.gif.4607e069d863691705c50c88715e21e6.gif

I will volunteer to be in charge of the visitation schedule for @rotuts as he recovers in the hospital following his heart attack from overindulging in pancake bread...

• Haha 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I only had 1/2 of a loaf today.

Im trying to cut back.

its the kind of thing that is so good

at some point soon will have had enough and wont want any more.

Wonder what you get when you make French toast out of pancake bread?

• Haha 1

I bought some of the pancake bread yesterday after the enthusiastic review here - It is yummy. I don't think it tastes like pancakes, but it is a good excuse to eat cake for breakfast.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

54 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I only had 1/2 of a loaf today.

Im trying to cut back.

its the kind of thing that is so good

at some point soon will have had enough and wont want any more.

I did that with Korean BBQ flavor pork jerky from Costco.  In about 3 weeks I ate almost 4 Costco sized bags of the stuff.  The last unfinished bag has been sitting in my pantry for about 4 months.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

27 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I did that with Korean BBQ flavor pork jerky from Costco.  In about 3 weeks I ate almost 4 Costco sized bags of the stuff.  The last unfinished bag has been sitting in my pantry for about 4 months.  

Been there. Done that. 

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

A contender has arrived.........TJ's Dark Chocolate Sunflower Seed Butter Cups.   Really, really good.  Nice quality chocolate with a creamy-ish sunflower seed butter paste, very pleasant.  I'm not usually a dark chocolate fan, but this is a mild version that I enjoyed.  Ratio to chocolate to filling was about equal.   I will buy again if it sticks around.

Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 5.02.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 5.02.26 PM.png

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 5

19 hours ago, lemniscate said:

A contender has arrived.........TJ's Dark Chocolate Sunflower Seed Butter Cups.   Really, really good.  Nice quality chocolate with a creamy-ish sunflower seed butter paste, very pleasant.  I'm not usually a dark chocolate fan, but this is a mild version that I enjoyed.  Ratio to chocolate to filling was about equal.   I will buy again if it sticks around.

Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 5.02.26 PM.png

Nothing on the wrapper indicating that it was processed in a facility that handles peanuts or nuts, so it might be an option for my friend who has a son with a severe peanut allergy?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

1 hour ago, MelissaH said:

Nothing on the wrapper indicating that it was processed in a facility that handles peanuts or nuts, so it might be an option for my friend who has a son with a severe peanut allergy?

I think only Trader Joe's could answer that question accurately.  BUT on the side of the wrapping it does say the following:

IMG_7302.jpg

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 2

check very carefully w TJ's

it seem unusual that these bars are made in a ' nut free ' environment 

that being said

I follow a British show , ' Food Unwrapped '

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2968902/

one recent show went into a production facility that had two production lines 

for this sort of thing :  peanuts and no peanuts

they rigorously excluded people from one unit to the other

each set of employees wore  completely different colored cover alls , hair nets etc.

boots were washed and your cars tires etc before you were allowed into either facility

just check carefully

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lemniscate said:

I think only Trader Joe's could answer that question accurately.  BUT on the side of the wrapping it does say the following:

IMG_7302.jpg

That means that the facility in which these were manufactured is free of all these.

FWIW, last October, we went to Canada and I hauled home a bunch of Canadian chocolate bars for my friend. She can't have American Milky Way, KitKat, or the like in their home because they are manufactured in a facility that handles peanuts and therefore could kill her son if anything gets cross-contaminated. But the Canadian ones, at least the packages I got, were made in a peanut-free facility and therefore were safe. Her son once ate a KitKat (and suffered no ill effects, luckily) and knows how delicious they are but that he couldn't eat the ones we get. He was eternally grateful for the Canadian ones!

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Thanks to @rotuts, we had to try that Pancake Bread.  🙂

It's pretty good, my husband thought it was a bit like a muffin. 

IMG_20190119_093401.thumb.jpg.adefcd122e2768904c09b8c7254314f0.jpg

Husband loves the TJ's hashbrowns. I think they're OK, but I'm not quite as big a fan. We did a  brunch thing today. I made him basted eggs on hashbrowns with bacon, he was happy!  Eggs are also from TJs this time. 

IMG_20190120_093744.thumb.jpg.81e5eb13872eac9b93d7f051a681de48.jpg

IMG_20190120_092102.thumb.jpg.bd34a6eccc225f7aefb346b6974956e0.jpg

• Like 6