• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

Kerry Beal

Tj's ahd a very nice risky oatmeal chic-chip cookie in those plastic tubs.

no longer.  they changed vendors and the current iteration is flabby and awful.

but a staff member pointed me to these ;

1340800779_TJCookiew.thumb.jpg.50a2d1c0071d3bfb70fdf6f9f6cd2e56.jpg

they are gluten free , which is not of interest to me , but very crispy and I love them

the ChocolateChip have a Home-made quality to them  lot of brownsugar flavor(u)r

pardon me , HOmeBakers

such as 

@Anna N

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been reported already or not but the frozen puff pastry has returned, at least to my TJ's. 

It disappeared immediately after the holidays - like there was none left on Jan 2 - last year so I didn't get a chance to stock up.  I will have to be more diligent this year. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Not sure if this has been reported already or not but the frozen puff pastry has returned, at least to my TJ's. 

It disappeared immediately after the holidays - like there was none left on Jan 2 - last year so I didn't get a chance to stock up.  I will have to be more diligent this year. 

Oh, man! I hope mine still has it in a couple of weeks when I get back!

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

• 1 month later...

TJ's has recalled some Carnita Burritos for possible Salmonella/Listeria contamination.

They are doing this as a precaution, and to me, that just ups the reputation of TJs. I really feel they look out for their consumers much better than other alternatives for food shopping with both value and wholesomeness. 

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

• 3 weeks later...

I tried these pelmeni tonight.  Pretty good, dough was tender, filling was a bit on the bland side.  Steamed them from frozen in the instant pot.  I made a mistake and just piled them on a silicone steamer insert, they stuck to each other.  1 minute steam, 5 minute release.

Served them with a pat of butter and a scoop of Trader Joe's 4% small curd cottage cheese (the best cottage cheese I have ever had).

Next time I will steam them in my dhokla stand in single layers.  I always liked my pierogi/pelmeni boiled, not fried.  These would be very good fried I'd bet.

IMG_6904.jpg

• Like 5

Update to TJ's sous vide turkey legs.  Loved them.  I love poultry dark meat, I do not eat white meat unless that is the only choice to eat.  These made me happy.

There are two drumsticks per package, kind of pricy ($9.88 for my package) and sealed in with about a cup of turkey jus.   I warmed them up in the bag at 138F with my Joule.

Directions say bake/broil.  I didn't bother, just warmed them for about 45 min and opened and served.  No pics since late meal.  Not overly spiced or salty, very tender, almost fall off the bone meat.  The bag jus would make a very fine gravy.  I don't know if I could do better than these myself sous vide from raw drumsticks. Actually thinking of doing turkey thighs and wings instead. The large part of the wing is like a drumstick without the tendons.  They are just kind of hard to find at supermarkets consistently.

Edited by lemniscate
spelling (log)
  • Like 6

A couple of new cheeses from Trader Joe’s, in time for Thanksgiving.

Goat with rosemary, from Spain (a bit like the goat cousin of Fleur du Maquis, but milder/less interesting)

Cheeses from Trader Joe’s: rosemary goat milk cheese from Spain

And Harbison from Jasper Hill farm. Seems like a good deal at $12.99 for a 9-ounce wheel!

Cheeses from Trader Joe’s: Harbison from Jasper Hill Farm

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 8

19 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

And Harbison from Jasper Hill farm. Seems like a good deal at $12.99 for a 9-ounce wheel!

Thanks for that tip - I just got back from TJ's and picked up one of those wheels. 

I also bought a hunk of the Beemster Royaal Grand Cru 12 month aged Gouda which was priced at $10.99/lb.  They've carried older and more crumbly Goudas but this one is still nice and full flavored. 

I had to laugh when checking out as they've replaced the beep/chime sounds that tell you to remove your credit card with a turkey gobble sound xD

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I had to laugh when checking out as they've replaced the beep/chime sounds that tell you to remove your credit card with a turkey gobble sound xD

And before that, they had Hawaiian music. I think it’s a lot more relaxing that those awful beeping sounds! I love TJ’s. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

And before that, they had Hawaiian music. I think it’s a lot more relaxing that those awful beeping sounds! I love TJ’s. :)

Yes it was ukelele.  On the  Fleur du Maquis reference - I still SO many years later kick myself in the rear for being too young and dumb to enjoy those kinds of cheeses in Corsica!  Will check out the noted one.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/24/2017 at 10:14 AM, blue_dolphin said:

They've been getting this Brut North Coast Sparkling Wine in the fall, through the holidays for a few years and it was back at my TJ''s at the same $9.99 price as last year.  I think it tastes like a much pricier bottle, but it's inexpensive enough that it's easy to use in cocktails or to top off a splash of a shrub.  They usually have a Brut Rosé that I like as well but I haven't seen that one yet this year.

IMG_6149.thumb.jpg.23c3ae43a222798e11c24a249e3b04e2.jpg

Quoting myself here to say that this brut sparkling wine and its brut rosé sibling, which I prefer, are back in stock at TJ's again.  They are both $9.99 but taste like more expensive bottles. 

Last year, the rosé disappeared promptly after New Years on Jan 2 so if you want to stock up, now is the time. 

I've got one case of the rosé now and I think I'll pick up another as it's so nice to have some bubbles on hand to celebrate unexpected occasions....like Wednesdays xD

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

TJ's has a Mousse cake that is seasonal.

it seems to be the same basic cake in different forms.

Ive had it at Christmas , Valentine's day and Easter.

I might have appeared at Thanksgiving but I missed it if it did

its not around long , which in this case is a good thing

it delicious , and plan for possibly eating the entire unit w an ice cold glass of milk

current version :

61251-mini-chocolate-mousse-presents.jpg.2f4c21978ecc34f452b56eb9eb737ff2.jpg

https://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/4518

very very addicting

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 7

On 11/19/2018 at 8:01 PM, FrogPrincesse said:

A couple of new cheeses from Trader Joe’s, in time for Thanksgiving.

Goat with rosemary, from Spain (a bit like the goat cousin of Fleur du Maquis, but milder/less interesting)

Cheeses from Trader Joe’s: rosemary goat milk cheese from Spain

Cheeses from Trader Joe’s: Harbison from Jasper Hill Farm

OHHHHH how did you like this cheese?  I bought some from Zingerman's.  LOVED IT.  In fact, I just ordered more just a bit ago.  

• Like 1

two recent cheeses from TJ's   aging in the ' cave '  [ed.:  cabinet shelf in the kitchen ] as I type :

59285677_TJBrie.thumb.jpg.a547428bebe774c82c38bd74a037f50e.jpg

the square ' soft ripened cheese ' is from FR and very Brie like.   a bit bland on a DemoDay , but the flavor improved nicely after about 10 days in the ' cave '  N.B. : its cold in the kitchen these days

the second I would not have tried as I tend to not get flavored cheese.  it was Demo'D today and was nice.   garlic and herbs  , not over done . Brie-like

from Wisconsin   

O.o

niot FR

seems like it will also age in the Cave nicely , based on the temp in the Kitchen

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 7

A bit of P.S.

dans le Cheese above :

Im fairly confidant that both packets of deliciousness 

will benefit from my Person Cave

a long time ago

some one imported cheese  from FR and other Tasty Points

but understood  that commercial cheese then 

might not have been

the real deal a long time ago

so

they set up a place in , possibly 

Somerville  , MA

and imported cheese and aged the cheese very carefully 

in a real Cave

and It said the stuff from there 

is outstanding

I can't find the URL

but keep in mind

based on you weather , temp and humidify 

you might like to age

personaly

those cheese's that do benefit

mostly 

Ooozy Brie and the likes

I don't think you will benefit

home aging

a 4 - 8 y.o. cheddar

for a few weeks

jsuyt sayong

• Like 1

We found a new snack mix the other day. Components are:

• Cheddar rocket crackers
  • Chili lemon corn sticks
  • Corn chips with flaxseeds
  • Honey roasted sesame sticks
  • Honey roasted peanuts
  • Honey mustard pretzel pieces

The only things I haven't seen sold separately anywhere are the chili lemon corn sticks. I like this mix enough that I'd like to put a larger quantity together, and I'm trying to think what I could substitute that would have a little zing and a little acid.IMG_3845.thumb.jpeg.fb7308a679435e009c7937ad067206e0.jpeg

• Like 3

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

1 hour ago, MelissaH said:

• Honey roasted peanuts

The only things I haven't seen sold separately anywhere are the chili lemon corn sticks. I like this mix enough that I'd like to put a larger quantity together, and I'm trying to think what I could substitute that would have a little zing and a little acid.

How about subbing in some of the TJ's Chili Lime Cashews for both the corn sticks and some or all of the honey roasted peanuts?   

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MelissaH said:

• Honey roasted peanuts

The only things I haven't seen sold separately anywhere are the chili lemon corn sticks. I like this mix enough that I'd like to put a larger quantity together, and I'm trying to think what I could substitute that would have a little zing and a little acid.IMG_3845.thumb.jpeg.fb7308a679435e009c7937ad067206e0.jpeg

I am becoming addicted to this stuff. If I was making it, I'd put fewer cheese rockets. Way too many of them in the can I bought.

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

23 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

How about subbing in some of the TJ's Chili Lime Cashews for both the corn sticks and some or all of the honey roasted peanuts?   

That thought struck me as well. We'll be back down to TJ's later this week, doing the holiday meal shopping, and I'll investigate the options. (Do they sell the flaxseed corn chips alone? I know I can get them elsewhere if I need to.)

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

• 2 weeks later...

On a whim I bought TJ's turkey en croute this year. I think they have a similar version each holiday season? We had been quite busy with social events for a few days before the 25th and wanted something simple for Christmas dinner. This was actually quite good, the puff pastry crust browned nicely and the turkey was tasty. The leftovers were not great, turkey seemed a bit too dry and crust too soft the next day, so I'd recommend it for a single meal. 

Turkey & Stuffing en Croute

• Like 8