• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

Kerry Beal

32 minutes ago, rotuts said:

BTW :

Cat(s)

I did know that - I would have told the officer the cat's names and that she often had kittens in the house so he'd better hurry!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I think the ham has enough salt content that it does not pose the threat that unprocessed meat might. I'm glad you found a way to enjoy the croissant squares. I used to really enjoy the Alsace tart from TJ's. It was similar, but bigger and included onions, I think. I wonder if they still carry that or these new croissant squares are intended to replace it? The tart was very popular.

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

The new product shelf had a new variety of Joe-Joe.  Neapolitan joe joes https://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/neapolitan-joejoes  

They're not bad.  Vanilla and chocolate cookies are the same as they are elsewhere, the filling tastes of strawberry, and is only 50% too sweet (To my taste, any way, I had a few, and put the box out at my office where it was devoured.), not as sweet as I recall the regular ones being. 

• Like 1

they were demo'ing these this AM :

860317397_TJBrlnet.thumb.jpg.2ba00ee480447c51e25ca89a17766a99.jpg

I liked them both.  

the naan is really just naan-ish , and on the fluffy-doughey side , but i like it.   Ill char a side over a gas burner when I use them,

the ML were not hot-spicy at all , and might need a few drops of tabasco or if Id be using a whole packet at one time

a tablespoon or so of one of Patak's  jared pastes.

I did not look over the ingredients .

it to hot here to fiddle and faddle.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

after a bit of Hydration Therapy :

each packet says it serves two 

per packet :

300 Cal

13 gm fat , 6 gm sat. no trans fats

NaCl  1040 mg

fiber  10 gm    total sugars  3 gms.

interestingly they give the individual serving info alongside the full packet info.

I see this as a nice ' dip ' , maybe w some add-ins , w the Naan-ish at room temp

on days like this.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2018 at 9:35 PM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I think the ham has enough salt content that it does not pose the threat that unprocessed meat might. I'm glad you found a way to enjoy the croissant squares. I used to really enjoy the Alsace tart from TJ's. It was similar, but bigger and included onions, I think. I wonder if they still carry that or these new croissant squares are intended to replace it? The tart was very popular.

I wasn't really concerned for my own safety but I did suggest the overnight thaw/proof and realize that might not be the best path for everyone.  They were still in the freezer case this afternoon and I resisted putting up a sign recommending some proofing time 🙃

The frozen Tarte d'Alsace is still on offer at my local TJ's, as is its mushroom variant and another that I haven't tried.  

The frozen mini croissants that come in a box of 8 seem to have disappeared.  Last time I was there, they had been replaced by a blue and white bag of mini croissants from Belgium that touted "butter recipe" and "no need to proof" on the packaging.  Today, they weren't there but neither were the originals. The boxed chocolate and almond croissants that need proofing were still there. I bought a box of the almond but didn't try to nail anyone down on the others as it was getting to be peak pre-dinner rush time. 

I'm also mildly distressed at the continued local absence of the faux Triscuits, TJ's "less guilt" woven wheat crackers and will shortly need to venture into an actual supermarket for Triscuits or a substitute. 

• Like 1

Whenever I've been to Trader Joe's, I always check the freezer section for the Tarte d'Alsace and they have never had it.  This would be the Syracuse, NY location.  Mind you, it has been a long time since we were last there, so maybe they are carrying it again.  I love the stuff and can now only have it if I make it as you can't find it around here.

• Like 1

Just back from Joe's :

they havze the chocolate and the almond " pain's "

they have the risen croissants , in grey bag

they have the usual three tart's from France :  d'Alsace , mushroom and tomato

these are excellent and really do taste like France.  however the dough is thin and they are difficult to cook perfectly.  but worth it anyway !

Truscuits are gone for good !

:/

they have been at Tj's it seems forever.  why they do this , remove a real winner , beets me, and many otheres

they did have the ham and cheese Fz squares , so I got a box to try.

plenty of Mac&cheese w hatch chili , fz , a favorite of mine

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

they have the usual three tart's from France :  d'Alsace , mushroom and tomato

these are excellent and really do taste like France.  however the dough is thin and they are difficult to cook perfectly.  but worth it anyway !

I bake them in the CSO on a 11-inch pizza screen.  I usually need to rotate them once or twice for evenness.  

Time and Temp ?

Fm Fz ?

where do I get a 11 " screen ?

I guess here :

https://www.amazon.com/Winware-12-Inch-Seamless-Aluminum-Screen/dp/B001CICFAM?th=1

12 " is too big , for the CSO ?

what's the diameter of the tarts ?

is you have on available.

it looks to me like the 12 " screen might just fit

if its 12.1 "  probably not

Edited by rotuts (log)

11 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Time and Temp ?

Fm Fz ?

where do I get a 11 " screen ?

I guess here :

https://www.amazon.com/Winware-12-Inch-Seamless-Aluminum-Screen/dp/B001CICFAM?th=1

12 " is too big , for the CSO ?

what's the diameter of the tarts ?

is you have on available.

Yes, that is the 11" screen I have.  

The 12" will slide in if you place the shelf in this orientation:

_/------------\_

but not this way:

--\______/--  if that makes sense.  And you need to slide it in just so in order to align with the shelf supports on the wall.  I prefer to use the 11" if possible.

I purchased one of the tartes yesterday afternoon and promptly ate it.  I was starving because on my way back from delivering popsicles to the farmstand, I hit a rock and got a flat tire, which turned into 2 new tires for $679 and the 2 hr time estimate turned into 5 hrs.  I walked over to the mall and went to a matinée of Christopher Robin with a million kids so I didn't have to wait in the tire store the whole time but still, I was hungry so I no longer have it to measure 🙃.  It fits on the 11" screen so I'd guess ~10"

I unwrapped it and put it on the screen for ~ 10 min while I preheated the CSO.  I don't always do that but for some reason I was following package instructions.  450°F for ~ 9 or 10 min.

This one was quite good in having a uniform distribution of toppings right out of the box.  Sometimes they are all slid over to one side and I need to make adjustments but not this time.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well that was a disappointing dud of a Fearless Flyer in the mail today!  Usually there is something that at least intrigues me. The only thing that caught my eye was "salmon sweet potato treats" - oops DOG treats

tj.JPG

tj1.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I hadn't been to a TJ.s since March of last year.  But Tuesday was the big day.  I was pretty restrained and only spent $125.  I

won't bog you down with details because it wasn't anything that hasn't been posted.  I'm just excited about  the trip up and down the aisles.

In the back of my mind I swear I could hear both the freezer and refrigerator yelling at me to use restraint....ha what dreamers they are.

I am very good about rationing stuff out so this will last a long time.  I love grocery shopping is new and/or seldom visited stores!

• Like 4

On 8/7/2018 at 9:25 AM, ElsieD said:

Whenever I've been to Trader Joe's, I always check the freezer section for the Tarte d'Alsace and they have never had it.  This would be the Syracuse, NY location.  Mind you, it has been a long time since we were last there, so maybe they are carrying it again.  I love the stuff and can now only have it if I make it as you can't find it around here.

The tarte is still around.  I''ve got 3 of the mushroom variety in my freezer, and they were beside a stack of the Alsace variety in the TJ freezer.  They must be popular in the TJ's you frequent.

What TJ's has stopped selling is the New Mexico Pinion Coffee... That I miss.  It was good, and the price was right.  

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

54 minutes ago, cdh said:

What TJ's has stopped selling is the New Mexico Pinion Coffee... That I miss.  It was good, and the price was right.  

I didn't know Trader Joe's carried that, but I've purchased it in New Mexico. It is indeed good stuff. Here's hoping TJ's starts carrying it again.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

20 hours ago, cdh said:

I buy it directly from the New Mexican Pinon roaster since TJ's long ago stopped carrying the whole beans.  They continued to carry pre-ground, but I prefer grinding my own.  Never had a problem with deliveries and they carry lots of flavors.  But I am happy with the standard traditional pinon whole bean.   

• Like 2

My TJ's just started stocking a black licorice that is in long flat strips, like tire treads.  I used to be able to buy a similar Finnish black licorice called Tubi's just like this, but it disappeared a few years ago from the US and the licorice lovers in the family lamented.  I brought this new stuff home on a whim (its Australian) and they tasted it and did a happy dance.  They say its just like the Tubi's.  Big hit here.  It was on the new product shelf, sorry no pic because it was devoured before I realized it.

My kryptonite is the Crispy Crunchy Mochi Rice Nuggets.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

TH's has a small collection of Indian Fz Dinners.

TJFK.thumb.jpg.f040fe3bbeaafdcee393e9f261b2ad79.jpg

i just tried this one 

it was quite nice.   a lot of fish , spicy  but not hot.

a keeper for me.    there are a number of Indian restaurants near me , but they seem to specialize in Lunch Buffets

I have not tried their take out.   TJ's Fz indian does the trick and its a lot easier to get

• Like 2

Cold brew latte dessert bars (frozen pops), thumbs up. I appreciate the smaller size (single popsicle vs bar size), they are under 100 calories each. Sweet, but not overly so. Fudgesicle type of texture.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde