• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

Kerry Beal

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Anyone try the yuzu hot sauce?

I have a bottle in the pantry.  So far, I've used it to pep up some soups, like a cream of celery where I wanted a little heat and tartness but didn't want to turn it a murky brown by adding a red sauce. 

I liked it there but haven't used it on its own.

• Like 2

Vault No. 5 (is that the cheese's name? or should I call it something else?), got two more packages tonight, one is going into Mr. Smokey's Easter basket. It's that good.

I stashed the other one in my fridge, I can't wait for grilled cheese sandwiches. I finished off the other wedge at work, my co-workers thought I was weird for eating cheese for lunch, 3 days in a row.

I also cleaned out the box of Valrhona Le Noir Amer 71% Cacao. Half will go in said Easter basket. They were so good, I couldn't help myself.

Edited by Smokeydoke (log)
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

Yes !

this stuff ?

Yuz.thumb.jpg.8b27664281dd974edd0cc4d72f59a728.jpg

I loive it

tart , not too hot

i hope to remember to ask if it ' seasonal '

if so Ill buy a few more

If you do ask if it is seasonal, please post.  I have been meaning to get there since last fall and haven't made it yet.  Knowing it will be 'out of season' in a few weeks may just be what I need to get moving.

Im a fan of TJ's cheese

they don't have everything

but what they have is at least 1/3'd less then elsewhere in my area and its the same stuff

I love triple fat etc ' aged ' cheese

this one sometimes gets 5 out of  5 stars :

Br.thumb.jpg.2c2c708f810cfe186ec6941f7bd5bcf7.jpg

always select the trance that bulges the most.   

I carefully inwrap and put on a plate in the cabinet above the counter.

I couldn't stand it and forgot to take a pic pre-unwrap.

no mater how carefully I dissect the wrapper off , there are Good Lick'ns on the plastic that

do not get wasted !  I carefully scrape them off.

this one was at close to its peak.

TJ's has 3 - 4 other Brie's

a couple are made in such a way that they do not age and bulge.

avoid those like you might The Plague.   they are flavorless.

there is another one that is quite good on flavor and bulge 

but this one Take the Cheese when its in the state it was when I purchased it.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

If that amazing piece of cheese happened to be between us, I"m afraid we might have our own version of The Battle of the Bulge.

Winner take all (the cheese).  I too love TJ's cheese.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@IowaDee

just to rub it in a little bit :

it is Soooooo Good

almost perfect 

in might need a day in the cabinet to be more perfect 

but well

we do have are standards and they are hopefully High !

just to review for you:

suprise.gif.f1e8c18a4b0b315a36550f890aeef264.gif

money-mouth.gif.5d61a91001c499475d89c4fdaa5845b4.gif

Sooooo Goooood

cheers your way !

• Like 2

The nearest TJ's is 130 miles from here but our daughter works within a mile or two of one.  We raised her right because she never comes home

without a supply of cheese and other goodies.  Just finished a bottle of their Korean BBQ sauce and added to our "need" list.  And tamales

are just assumed to be needed every time.  

Edited by IowaDee (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

We are supposed to be gettting one in Memphis. As I make periodic trips to the Asian and Middle Eastern markets, it would be simple enough to add TJ's.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 1 month later...

next time im at Tj's

Ill ask them if they have a Jar [ important ]

of jalapeños that are Tart [vinegar] and hot

I have not tried every ' canned '  [ i.e. : in a can  suprise.gif.31e6084dec9ca03b21f904a6fb0acdeb.gif ] chili

those that I have tried

Hatch or not

are dreadful  mush.

somehow the Jar does a better job

for me.

On 4/6/2018 at 4:23 PM, IowaDee said:

The nearest TJ's is 130 miles from here but our daughter works within a mile or two of one.  We raised her right because she never comes home

without a supply of cheese and other goodies.  Just finished a bottle of their Korean BBQ sauce and added to our "need" list.  And tamales

are just assumed to be needed every time.  

For lists such as this, a shared document such as an Apple Note (if you're all on Apple devices) or a Google Doc is awesome. My husband and I have a few of these, including one for the TJ's items that we like and don't like (so we know what to buy or what not to buy in the future), a shopping list that supplements the Wegmans app list of all the everyday stuff for the things we get at TJ's or the Asian supermarket, and even one with the menu planning for the week that includes any evening events that will affect whether dinner needs to be something quick, or if someone has a big lunch meeting and therefore isn't likely to be super-hungry come dinnertime. The advantage of a shared electronic list is that we can both access it from whatever device we have handy at any given time, wherever we are. It's handy for us because I'm the one who's regularly near a TJ's (and an Asian market) each week, whereas my husband is the primary consumer of many of the items we get there. So he can let me know what he needs, and @IowaDee could share a list with their daughter.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Trappey's brand pickled jalapenos are cold brined and remain very crisp; likewise their pickled okra.  Cajun Chef is supposed to be another brand that is cold brined but I've never found them in grocery stores, only seen them in institutional sized cans in kitchens.

It's the cold brining that makes the difference, as with kosher dill pickles.  Look for the terms 'cold brined' on the label or something like 'never heated.'

I can't find a picture of the TJ's product online that I can make out all the script so I don't know if TJ's are.

Thanks for the suggestions.  Daughter and I email at least once a day so we keep up to date.  We have an awesome butcher's shop

here and trade amazing bacon, ham ball mix , bacon sausage and more for TJ's stuff.   All the meat is sourced from local farms. Win-win.

• Like 1

TJ's has Pain au Chocolat and Croissant's in the Fz section

they've and them for some time

I( just never got around to trying them

you take them out Fz and they thaw and proof over night

PC1.thumb.jpg.f4c1127effe1e9365c3c2728fd100f31.jpg

sur le Plate, Fz

PC2.thumb.jpg.a56936ea9df4c4abebe3ac4ac6a9fe17.jpg

proofed

PC3.thumb.jpg.c532d7714b05cf26fbf5837b577d0d78.jpg

baked 

PC4.thumb.jpg.71d5e32f24e881cbe6b2f8eb8112437e.jpg

its a struggle to wait for them to cool   I did not use egg-wash , and used the CSO on Regular i.e. dry bake

I also will proof them on the baking sheet w parchment paper next time as they are very delicate and Poof-ey and hard to move

also I might try steam bake next time , and drop the temp to 325 from the recommended 350 F

they do smell good !

P.S.:   I tried the one on the R.  the top was a tinny bit over baked   it was still superb 

as good or better than any bakery near me.   Ill make a point of the egg wash and try the steam-bake at 325 next

a winner.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

@rotuts  I have bought them in the past and my one quibble with them is that they are very "airy", that is they don't have a lot of substance.  I like them a bit denser than the way these end up.  That said, they are tasty little things.

I to noted the airy-ness.    I wonder if they are too easy to over-proof.

they did look Poof-ey before they went into the oven

in the wintertime my kitchen is a bit chilly due to the wood strove around the corner

might be 50 in there ...    looking forward to trying them then

or taking them out of the freezer later in the evening.