• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

Kerry Beal

I generally rely on my home pickled nasturtium seed pods for that "caper" flavor. I'm out until at least late spring/early summer so the caperberries in brine for $2 at TJ caught my eye. Interesting. Seedy inside but I enjoy texture contrast. Not as strong or "mustardy" of course as my nasturtium pods but they play well with olives in a dish and are mingling with friends in a tuna salad. 

IMG_0484.JPG

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 6

On 1/17/2018 at 12:35 PM, heidih said:

Is the Soy chorizo a crumbly product like the ubiquitous Cacique product?

I had some last night, it is a crumbly product like Cacique. I don't know how TJ sample managed to keep it in chunks.

I had it with sauteed onions, chickpeas and poached eggs. Delicious!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i wandered down to TJ's

to pick of a few delicious Items 

for when I watch SuperBowl  &^#@(*&%*E^(E(E()E@#$%

soon on my Mac

No Worries

several Jugs of MR are maturing for a few minutes etc.

this is a Mouse Cake that TJ's seems to have at least 2 times a year

Valentines Day and Easter

Moose.thumb.jpg.6e24479611c9642f1a32dd0464ad8b8d.jpg

Im not an overall fan of their seasonal offerings 

as if I like it , wheel ???

this is an outstanding Mousse Cake

in this instance Im glad it only come 2 ( perhaps Ive missed 3 + ? )

times a year

most cakes love Ice Cream

not this one :   Thick Hand Made  whipped cream is required

or not.

Id suggest a Statin Chaser if you go with the ultra-thick whipped cream

but check w your Health Care Provider

please

Yum Yum

• Like 7

so I tried the new Mooose cake

ive loved these in the past :

Cake.thumb.jpg.4bdb3edf91e47608f3d759739ae11be0.jpg

if you are a serious student of this type of cake , you already notice trouble :

note the pink-patch

and the green thing-ey

hard sugar and not very tasty

and not as much Moose-y innards

so a bit of a bust.

who ever though the pink and green item added to this cake

must have bought several tons of sugar at a steep discount 

and needed to move it

So Sad

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Sad 5

Just walked back from mailbox and the monthly Fearless Flyer was there. Do you guys anywhere near  a TJ get that? This one is 23 pages.  Usually it is just telling me about stuff that is interesting but that I don't really need. This one was a bit boring. Los Angeles is home of the original first (well Pasadena - think Rose Parade & Rose Bowl) so maybe we are different. Attaching cover,  Bamba cuz we'v discussed it here often, and jackfruit cuz it is SUCH a thing here and want to try.

IMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0528.JPG

IMG_0529.JPG

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

I get this flyer maybe quarterly, I don't keep track. Seems awfully silly. If everything sold at TJ's was as bizarre as most of the "new" stuff they highlight in the flyer I wouldn't ever shop there. We buy the same old six or seven things regularly from TJ's and rarely anything else. 

sometimes their new stiff is great , sometimes not

but always an adventure of some sort.

you can always see the flyer On-Line :

https://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer

if you aren't close to a Tj's , well it might be frustrating   

its of fly written , of course !

the real problem is sometimes their finest stuff just disappears and is gone forever

sometimes items are ' seasonal ' and there for a specific time

they don't do enough to point that out I think.

however , My Local is a very friendly place.

they know their regulars and they have a lot of them.

I mentioned my disappointment w this Feb's ChocMouse cake , pointing out the

Pink Heart sugar Puck.    I peeled it off and ate the cake anyway

the check-out guy offered to refund the price even though I didn't ask

I would have taken him up on it

if  returns affected their selections in the future

they do not seem to.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I'm in the same general geographic area as you are, @heidih, so I get the flyer, too.  What surprised me about their mailing program was when they opened a Trader Joe's in Burlington, VT and my mother (who lived on the other side of the lake in northern NY) started receiving the flyer in the mail.  It's at least a 3 hour round trip, involving a ferry, so it surprised me they were advertising that far away.  Not sure if they're still following that strategy or not.

I always read the flyer - usually there's a mixture of new and old items - and generally find a few things I'd like to try. In addition to the Bamba and jackfruit you mentioned, I'll probably pick up some of the frozen coconut chunks. 

On 2/5/2018 at 10:27 AM, ElsieD said:

I'm hoping someone will try the Creamy Tomato Soup Crackers and report back.9_9

I tried them and wouldn't recommend them.  I'm not a fan of rice crackers to begin with but the flavor doesn't help either. Tastes like what you'd get from dehydrating the already "condensed" canned tomato soup.  Now, I have fond memories of that soup, made with milk and served with a grilled cheese sandwich but the crackers aren't doing it for me.  I'm debating whether to take them back or toss them. 

IMG_7071.jpg

Edited to add:

On 1/2/2018 at 10:38 AM, Toliver said:

I thought these might be nice as a garnish on soup so I tried them.  Yes, they do add a nice crunch when sprinkled on top of a bowl but they soak up the soup and get soggy very quickly - at least if you break them up like I did.  As a snack, they're OK, but nothing I'd crave like a potato chip.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

I get the "Fearless Flyer" and look forward to it. My favorite one was from several years ago where the issue highlighted the bargain/high value items they carried. The only one I can remember now is the imported pasta, but there were many items that were cheaper and better quality than what I could buy at local grocery stores. This is the flyer that caught my attention and got me going into the store regularly. 

I'm not a fan of the seasonal only items or the disappearance of long-time favorites from the shelves either. I don't mind some new offerings occasionally, but TJ's takes it too far for me.

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

TJ's

in my area has one affordable wines

that's where I get the substrate for MR !

the people I talk to there do know most of their wines

also in my area there is some ' pressure '

BizTalk

from TotalWine

no matter 

I asked for a white with no oak and dry

this one was new :

5a85ce46cd349_MITJF.thumb.jpg.12eacba0ad35d5cc44aeeb018af4dcca.jpg

5a85ce57636ef_MITJB.thumb.jpg.fd8000ae4216b5ee19b69ad863e4a9f4.jpg

Its 9.99 in my area, but if your don't have the Graft and Corruption Tax  ( $ 1.00 or more here /bottle )

it might be less in your area

we all like certain tastes in our Wine

I like No Oak, and dry

if Red :  as above , but Of Grapes not Cherries Tobacco etc

this is a very nice wine !

I has No oak to me, and is dry ( enough )

it has good mouth feel

i.e. there a lot going on in your mouth when you taste it

It does not have any Benzene that I can taste

[Ed.: Benzene = chemical tastes , not from Grapes ]

and at this or lower price points

TJ's or anywhere 

that's an issue

so if you have this in your TJ's

try a bottle

you can take it back

even even Empty !

very nice for 9.99

money-mouth.gif.1af3ad27bf2badb38c6ae1b4786c5282.gif

suprise.gif.c4194b7d5e8de8baf954319b591b31f2.gif

• Like 4

I'm with you on the un-oaked, dry white wine, rotuts.  It's been a long time since I tasted a chardonnay treated that way! If I ever get near a Trader Joe's again, I'll look for this one.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 1 month later...

Bought some TJ's just Beets today. Not sure why, I guess they looked kind of chippy and I like beets so why not? All they are is dehydrated beets, the ingredients list is: Beets. This little bag will set you back a bit over $2. I know these aren't NEW, I can see they were around back in late 2016 with a search, but it's the first time I have noticed them. Would I buy them again? Possibly but probably not. I like the slightly sweet beet flavour and the crunch, but hey, if you need some fiber in your diet, these provide 7 gms in one little bag! xD

IMG_20180317_175342.thumb.jpg.e83267833f617e4d735011e838e0e530.jpg

IMG_20180317_175500.thumb.jpg.941b43fe05eb697a915b678ce9ba96b1.jpg

I also noticed some 3-seed beet crackers and 3-seed sweet potato crackers for the first time. I don't like black sesame seeds, so passed them by, but I like that TJ's gives some variations on the chip and cracker theme. 

https://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/3-seed-beet-crackers

https://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/4072

• Like 4

14 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Bought some TJ's just Beets today. Not sure why, I guess they looked kind of chippy and I like beets so why not? All they are is dehydrated beets, the ingredients list is: Beets. This little bag will set you back a bit over $2. I know these aren't NEW, I can see they were around back in late 2016 with a search, but it's the first time I have noticed them. Would I buy them again? Possibly but probably not. I like the slightly sweet beet flavour and the crunch, but hey, if you need some fiber in your diet, these provide 7 gms in one little bag! xD

IMG_20180317_175500.thumb.jpg.941b43fe05eb697a915b678ce9ba96b1.jpg

I also noticed some 3-seed beet crackers and 3-seed sweet potato crackers for the first time. I don't like black sesame seeds, so passed them by, but I like that TJ's gives some variations on the chip and cracker theme. 

https://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/3-seed-beet-crackers

https://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/4072

Completely agree on Just Beets. They weren't awful, but I couldn't find a good reason to even finish the bag. I do like both the Sweet Potato and Beet 3-Seed Crackers. A few go a long way--I never want too many in one sitting unless I have enough different cheeses to mix up the flavor. They start to wear on me after a while, too.

• Like 2

Deb

Liberty, MO

On 3/17/2018 at 9:27 PM, FauxPas said:

These look like just the sort of thing you could blitz to a powder in a spice grinder and use as a natural red food coloring, say, for a red velvet cake. (And who's going to complain about a little extra fiber in dessert?)

• Like 6

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I was happy to see the bag of mini avocados at TJ's over the weekend (Teeny Tiny Avocados)...product of Mexico, 6 per bag, under $3. The pit is in proportion to the fruit, the one I had last night was creamy and unblemished. It is a nice size for garnishing a leaf lettuce salad, or avocado toast for one (I find a whole large avocado a bit much and wrapping half is so-so).

• Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

5 hours ago, MelissaH said:

These look like just the sort of thing you could blitz to a powder in a spice grinder and use as a natural red food coloring, say, for a red velvet cake. (And who's going to complain about a little extra fiber in dessert?)

Yes, good idea!  :)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BeeZee said:

I was happy to see the bag of mini avocados at TJ's over the weekend (Teeny Tiny Avocados)...product of Mexico, 6 per bag, under $3. The pit is in proportion to the fruit, the one I had last night was creamy and unblemished. It is a nice size for garnishing a leaf lettuce salad, or avocado toast for one (I find a whole large avocado a bit much and wrapping half is so-so).

Yes, I've been buying these for the past couple of months. They are the best avocados I've been able to get in this area for a long time!

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

this item

5ab27f636d0dc_EggsTJ.jpg.cf1ffbba8d781efab32ec32ee5320cda.jpg

is about as deliciousness as delicious can be.

it good quality chocolate cake w a thick layer of Ch.Mousse and chocolate cover.

its the easter version  and seasonal

the same type of thing comes at Xmas , shaped like a tree and Valentines day shaped as a heart

this years VD version was spoiled by a heart shaped large piece of sugar on top of the cake

the above is about a 1/2 serving portion.

I should be pleased this is Seasonal , as Id scarf them all up if there were there every day.

delicious !

I didn't cut one in 1/2  because Id snarf the all up !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, rotuts said:

this item

5ab27f636d0dc_EggsTJ.jpg.cf1ffbba8d781efab32ec32ee5320cda.jpg

is about as deliciousness as delicious can be.

it good quality chocolate cake w a thick layer of Ch.Mousse and chocolate cover.

its the easter version  and seasonal

the same type of thing comes at Xmas , shaped like a tree and Valentines day shaped as a heart

this years VD version was spoiled by a heart shaped large piece of sugar on top of the cake

the above is about a 1/2 serving portion.

I should be pleased this is Seasonal , as Id scarf them all up if there were there every day.

delicious !

Amen to that. I love those little cakes - so much so that I will no longer allow myself to buy them, because one bite leads too quickly to an empty package - and a trip to get more. I am not good at rationing.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Patty