• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Lindacakes

Lindacakes

Made a mistake.

I love Trader Joe's.

Lindacakes

Lindacakes

I haven't read this entire thread, but on the pages I did read I saw sprinkled here and there some disloyalty to Trader Joe's.  I used to be a die-hard TJ shopper, my organic vegetable delivery was rounded out by food I happily bought at Trader Joe's.  I started shopping there because of the excellent selection of quality frozen vegetables.  I've gotten to the point where I can barely stand it there.  Frozen vegetables is one of the first items I stopped buying.  My local TJ's went corporate, any funkiness to it was wiped out through a complete reorganization in how the store was laid out.  Whereas when I began shopping there, sweet foods were minimal, now it seems like half the store is prepared and sugary foods.  Children's foods with the devotees to match; the store is filled with running children.  The food doesn't taste as good as it used to.  The flowers are not as fresh and varied as they once were.  Even the sugar foods are tiresome.  The nuts are rancid, the dried fruit flavorless.  I still go back and run in and grab a few things and run back out:  frozen shakshuka sauce, frozen chili cheese tamales, chicken soup with no noodles, sour cream, liquid French soap, taco seasoning.  I can't even tolerate the maple cream sandwich cookies any more.  While initially attracted to the produce, I slowly started buying more and more items from Whole Foods.  This from a woman who will not join Prime, or shop at Amazon if it can be helped.  I buy skids of Kerry Gold butter from Costco rather than TJ.  I wonder if it's me, but it doesn't matter, I want my food to taste like food . . .