• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

Kerry Beal

@rotuts, I've been enjoying that cheese, mostly just with crackers or melted on little toasts.  I don't usually go for flavored cheeses but I always try their featured cheese and this one is very nice.  

Another site describes it here:

St Illtyd is a mature creamy cheddar with white wine, garlic and parsley from Abergavenny in Wales.

My TJ's still had quite a bit of it in the case yesterday but I didn't check dates.  

• Like 1

now that you mention those flavors 

they ring true in this cheese.

that they'd toss it out based on an arbitrary day is a bit mistake.

I also didn't know Tj's had a featured cheese

i.e. when sold out , no more to be had.

well I have 6 Ill freeze and be set for a long while.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

when this Am to pick up mu cheese.   they and a lot more in the Cheese Cooler

they said they found some more.   these were supposed to be removed last nighrt

night is when they restock as they have a separate crew for that

the remove items one day before the last one noted.

I convinced them to leave the cheese out for sale until the end of the day.

they donate all food trey pull to charity, so that's good.

59aaaa14cb7e4_Sll1.thumb.jpg.f3dca951fb72153f0c0b5e978d48c153.jpg

59aaaa2470033_Sll2.thumb.jpg.1efd1155058b21c50dfe211748316e84.jpg

ready for FB

suprise.gif.233d301f217d1c5828559b5eebc1ed8b.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't had the Tj's Mozzarella balls in wile

I love them  in water

they and these next to my usual so I though Id try them:

MC1.thumb.jpg.7800029ec62a93127d7ecbb436a824c7.jpg

MC2.thumb.jpg.d48477d83e2021bc3a08ba784208af2a.jpg

these are a fair bit cheaper and quite nice.  you can taste a hint of EVOO  but its mostly canola

the seasoning are ' light ' and to not detract from the M.B.'s

very nice.

they also demo'd a Creamy Polenta :

CP.thumb.jpg.dd860bfa118821673ac99dccb1865fe0.jpg

it was creamy and rich and they ofter it w some saved TJ's parmesan - ish

its really good.  it come in little  Fz dollops so you take out what you like and micro only those.

and , wait for it , it comes from France !

• Like 5

Three things I am liking from TJ's these days...plus a few more I often keep on hand.

No photo, but the spotlight cheese is a very nice Fourme D'Ambert at $8.99/lb.  It's a rich, buttery French blue, described here on The Kitchn.  Murray's Cheese sells a Fourme D'Ambert for $22.99/lb.  I've been enjoying this one a lot.  Lovely on some crusty bread with a glass of port.

They've been getting this Brut North Coast Sparkling Wine in the fall, through the holidays for a few years and it was back at my TJ''s at the same $9.99 price as last year.  I think it tastes like a much pricier bottle, but it's inexpensive enough that it's easy to use in cocktails or to top off a splash of a shrub.  They usually have a Brut Rosé that I like as well but I haven't seen that one yet this year.

IMG_6149.thumb.jpg.23c3ae43a222798e11c24a249e3b04e2.jpg

On the non-luxury side of things, I'm liking the Kohlrabi Salad Blend, a mix of shredded kohlrabi, red cabbage, kale, golden beets that I've been turning into a quick slaw.  

Here's some of it in a slaw, sharing a plate with a few other TJ friends.  I dressed this particular slaw with a little TJ's Sriracha Ranch dressing, thinned with juice from the TJ's bread & butter pickles, both of which I generally keep on hand.

59c7e4fc2fc59_IMG_6023(2).thumb.jpg.3d08383a79150b0a6d7f5d0f481eb9c4.jpg

Clockwise from the slaw are TJ's Organic Baked Beans (nothing extraordinary but fine for beans from a can), TJ's ridge cut potato chips with sea salt, a pulled pork sandwich dressed with TJ's barbecue sauce on a TJ's par baked ciabatta roll and some of the bread & butter pickles on the side.  

• Like 5

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:32 AM, rotuts said:

I hadn't had the Tj's Mozzarella balls in wile

I love them  in water

they and these next to my usual so I though Id try them:

MC1.thumb.jpg.7800029ec62a93127d7ecbb436a824c7.jpg

MC2.thumb.jpg.d48477d83e2021bc3a08ba784208af2a.jpg

these are a fair bit cheaper and quite nice.  you can taste a hint of EVOO  but its mostly canola

the seasoning are ' light ' and to not detract from the M.B.'s

very nice.

When I spotted mozzarella balls in water at Aldi this morning, I thought of this post. We have bought the ones in marinade at both TJ's and Aldi and I decided that a little experiment was in order. Here are the ones I got at Aldi (for $2.99), along with a few things I wanted to infuse in the TJ's EVOO. IMG_0709.thumb.JPG.de8c61324e877641c1cc3665aeac51c1.JPG

I simmered the garlic, rosemary, thyme and bay leaves in oil for a bit.

IMG_0711.thumb.JPG.8fd3766296f6260316f7c6e15c8d8970.JPG 

While it was cooling down, I picked a few sprigs of basil and drained the cheese balls and transferred to another container.

IMG_0713.thumb.JPG.0fc43ebe06349f0faf29ed47648f0d71.JPG

When the oil was cool, I poured it into the original cheese ball container, followed by the cheeses balls and the basil. I will let this stay in the fridge for a while and see how they are.

HC

IMG_0714.thumb.JPG.b4441e17569b349545662171531afe80.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 7

@HungryChris 

great idea ! I was surprised that the mannated CB's were cheaper than the water based ones at TJ's by $ 1 / lbs.

I didn't use the canola / oliviol they came in and just drained them as needed and added Tj's kalamata.

Im going to Aldi's next week or so for the semiannual or annual Mayo Stock Up

Ill see what their warted CB's go for

Edited by rotuts (log)

not sure if I have shouted it out before but their Dijon mustard is excellent and inexpensive. Also very fond of their staple froazen artichocke heats and frozen pesticide free spinach and store brand corn tortillas

• Like 2

If anyone's on the TJ's email list or has been in the stores in the last few days, you know that pumpkin everything has returned in full force, including my personal favorite, the pumpkin Danish Kringle 9_9!

Of more interest to me was the return of the frozen all-butter puff pastry dough (made in France) and their reasonably priced organic sweetened condensed milk.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished dinner.  Homemade brisket chili, TJs tamalies, Green chili and cheese and the beef.  Really liked the green chili one.  Also had a sliced tomato from the fall garden with TJs chipolte lime dressing.  Next time I just do one tamale, they are very filling and always with my chili.  

• Like 2

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 4 weeks later...

"Greek-style dip recall now includes two Trader Joe's products (photos, product numbers)"

Two Mediterranean dips from Trader Joe's - Tahini Sauce and Cilantro and Chive Yogurt Dip - have been added to the widespread recall of Yorgo's products manufactured in New Hampshire.

There's a list of the non-Trader Joe's items impacted by the recall at the bottom of the article.

As an FYI...I've posted this in the "Food Recalls" discussion, as well.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

6 hours ago, jvalentino said:

Picked up am Amarena cherries for $3.99 and black truffle butter for $2.99 today. Tried the cherries which taste just like Fabri to me but not the butter.Thought these were good prices. 

bFWfwVEoQB2+8+f01XY4hA.jpg

bGvEguv1Ty2F7eNnjFiwfA.jpg

Thanks for the tip about the cherries! I’ll have to stop by TJs before they stop carrying them.