• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tabasco Sauce Alternatives

lindag

I'm thinking of carrying my own small bottle of hot sauce for use in restaurants because they all seem to have only Tobasco available.  I hate Tobasco sauce!  It tastes, to me, like too much vinegar; I will not use it on anything, even if there's nothing else available.

Some time ago I did a side by side testing of hot sauces (I have at least 6 to 8 in in my pantry).

My favorite of those that I have was Dirty Dick's.  But now I also have some of the Inner Beauty, I'll try that one in my next test.

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title (log)

I've done that. At one Mexican restaurant the waiter took notice and asked if he could try some. He liked it and then wanted to pass it around the kitchen. Everyone gave it a big thumbs up. 

I do like tobasco though. 

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

There's also Frank's Hot Sauce.

If you want something with more of a south-of-the-border taste, try Tapatío. It seems to be on a lot of grocery store shelves around here so it might be easy to locate. I keep a small-ish bottle of it in a drawer in my office at work for my lunches.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

16 hours ago, kayb said:

I'm very fond of Pick-A-Peppa. It's not as hot as Tabasco, Crystal, Louisiana, etc., but it's a much more complex flavor.

That's a good recommendation. I have enjoyed that sauce, as well, in the past. 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

23 hours ago, kayb said:

I'm very fond of Pick-A-Peppa. It's not as hot as Tabasco, Crystal, Louisiana, etc., but it's a much more complex flavor.

Just take some of that and pour it over a block of cream cheese. Then you can spread it on crackers for a really quick snack/appetizer.

• Like 2

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

3 hours ago, MSRadell said:

Just take some of that and pour it over a block of cream cheese. Then you can spread it on crackers for a really quick snack/appetizer.

Boy, that takes me back to the dawn of good food in my life. Pick-a-peppa, cream cheese and Ritz...and a bottle of Mateus.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Boy, that takes me back to the dawn of good food in my life. Pick-a-peppa, cream cheese and Ritz...and a bottle of Mateus.

I had to think a good, hard while before I "liked" this.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Wow!  I got my bottle of Inner Beaty the other day and I've been using it on everything I could find

It is amazingly good!  Better than ANY other hot sauce I've ever tried by a big margin.

i put some on my lunch quesadilla and couldn't get enough of it; it's just the right amount of heat with a wonderful flavor.