• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Bacon in Sesame Oil

Skyclad

Hello my foodie friends!

I have a question for you guys, and I am wondering if any of you have ever tried this..  I realize that I might be trying to improve on something that is already perfect, but such is my nature sometimes.....:)  Have any of you ever tried frying bacon in sesame oil?  Since those more vegetarian oriented always comment that sesame oil tastes like bacon to them (and to me to a degree), I'm wondering what everyone's take is on this idea..  Overkill?  Won't work?  Bad idea?  I'm open to it all....

Thanks in advance for all info you might have....:)

The toasted, dark sesame oil? No, I never cook with it. I'll add it to food after it's cooked. 

I imagine that cooking with it would turn food bitter and unappetizing. 

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

What chmike said. The dark sesame oil is not suited for that type of frying.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I agree. It's more of a finishing oil than a cooking oil. 

I can't even imagine what bacon and sesame oil would taste like.

Anyone want to make a BLT (or BLAT) and experiment for the team? 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Best tested in practice rather than theory I would think. Take a slice of bacon and some sesame oil and try it. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me but you might like the result. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

You can fry the bacon as usual and then drizzle some sesame oil over it when it's done instead of cooking them together. That should be interesting. (I have never thought that sesame oil tasted anything like bacon.)

• Like 1

The scent and taste of sesame oil dissipates rapidly when heated. This is why it is only really used at the last minute as a condiment in Chinese cooking. Using it to cook bacon would be a complete waste of time (and money). If you could still taste the oil with the bacon (not that I'd want to) then I'd seriously consider changing your bacon provider.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto