• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 5)

Shelby

Spicy potatoes, eggplant masala, chana dal with spinach, cheese kebabs, rice and roti. On the side, dill raita, tomato chutney and a new batch of lime pickles. Cheese kebabs, oh my, could eat a bucket load of them.

IMG_3737.thumb.JPG.df0f4ed34eaeeedce6ddf210819a5246.JPG

• Like 11

image.jpeg.d4c199ee2739fa642196220ffdf62b91.jpeg

• Like 16

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks for your kind words, everyone. They mean a lot, more than you know.

Anyway, after saying above that I'm totally out of the zone of cooking, I spent all yesterday...cooking. Mostly baking - savoury Suzhou-style pork belly mooncakes with hot water and lard pastry, and a gigantic strawberry, coconut meringue and mascarpone cake. You can see them over on the eG baking forum here

And for dinner, I actually made some proper, non-alcohol food - baby squid, that I painstakingly gutted and scored, and a deeply fiery Malaysian sambal with roast prawn paste, chillis, garlic, ginger, candlenuts etc, that I made in a mortar and pestle and then stir fried with the squid. Not exactly an appealing food photo but nonetheless.

19496050_10155420375459122_1707547595_o.thumb.jpg.72c3607b86e6af198fd3244cea5dd070.jpg

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)
  • Like 23

Sometime, in another life, I am sure I must have been a meat and potatoes girl:

http://tribade.org/Food/Dinner06262017.png

Sorry about the link but eGullet is not letting me embed an image.  My doctor's office called to say I should stop eating red meat because my cholesterol is off the charts.*  Though most likely that is not why I cannot embed the image.

Before I joined eGullet I thought photography was children, cats, flowers, wildlife, viruses, sunsets, solar eclipses.  Throw in a transit of Venus.  If anyone had told me I would be photographing my dinner I would have questioned their sanity.

*I know of no study correlating dietary cholesterol with blood cholesterol.  Besides in organic chemistry it was such fun extracting cholesterol from things I'd rather not think about.

Edit:  potato credit Herve This.  Peas steamed in the CSO.  [Insert your city here] strip steak courtesy Zojirushi.  When it comes to steak Zojirushi beats what I can cook sous vide or pan sear.

Digestive, Balaclava Special #1.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 8

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Sometime, in another life, I am sure I must have been a meat and potatoes girl:

http://tribade.org/Food/Dinner06262017.png

Oh boy. Great photo of great food. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@rarerollingobject, that squid looks good.

I celebrated my 30th on Saturday, so I decided to have a bit of a party and get 20 or so people around the table.  Most of the cooking was outsourced - the star of the show was a 7kg suckling pig, with a leg of lamb and two racks of ribs, all spit-roasted by my obliging butcher :)

19424069_10158991946945284_4695613104594380042_n.thumb.jpg.cbe57551e56bbf3ddafd46e86168eb53.jpg

19510235_10158991946735284_7221166704511740962_n.jpg.d868d821f091cb812042dc9a279b7eae.jpg

To pre-empt any questions:

- There were some leftovers, but not as much as I expected from more than 10kg of meat.

- Suckling pigs are harder to carve as they seem, even when relatively sober.

- I regret to say there are no photos of the cheese platters or dessert.  The hands taking the photos had become somewhat unstable and greasy.

- And yes, those are all magnums of wine.  Mostly Burgundy and Champagne, and a jeroboam each of Bordeaux and Rosé for the apero (not in the photos).  I refuse to have anything smaller than that on my table :)

• Like 18

Played with a few things.. this weekend!!

Tri Tip w/ Santa Maria seasoning

Rubbed with Santa Maria season 1 day ahead/ smoked in Weber Bullet with Post oak/ 130F finish temp

A bit chewy  but killer

35495160316_b136dd0ec6_o.thumb.jpg.f38686ddaaa55ee296d5e62b1877c098.jpg

Also made a side of :

Cabbage Leaf chips

Soak in vinegar water Wash/rubbed in Tuscan Evoo/Maldon sea salt and red pepper flake

Dehydrator 130/10 hrs

35443430606_6c9c7bbb66_o.thumb.jpg.d513eb35ba8b6651b8c1114fa0beae67.jpg

• Like 15

Its good to have Morels

29 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

Cabbage Leaf chips

Soak in vinegar water Wash/rubbed in Tuscan Evoo/Maldon sea salt and red pepper flake

Dehydrator 130/10 hrs

An interesting use of cabbage. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

An interesting use of cabbage. 

The leafs are so big..I hated to let them go to waste.. so I used a ring cutter and got about 6 chips per leaf..  the ring was about 1.5 inches

They are a touch bitter,  but every one liked them.  I did too

Thanks 

• Like 3

Its good to have Morels

@chefmd safe travels and hope your father is eased

@rarerollingobject I can empathize.  Time will diminish but never fully heal such a loss.  Hang in there and talk to anyone you need to.  Thank you for trusting this community to care and support.

Roasted off a pork loin that I had coated with mustard and rubbed with a bunch of herbs.  Served it with roasted sweet potatoes and olive oil poached green beans.

Sent Johnnybird off to Poughkeepsie with some gluten free smooch, pork loin, sweet potatoes and some chicken Waldorf salad.

I treated myself last night to some leftover appetizer sized meatballs from Calandra's Italian Village that John brought for me on Friday.  These are possibly the best meatballs I have ever eaten ... including cold by the light of the open refrigerator.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, suzilightning said:

These are possibly the best meatballs I have ever eaten ... including cold by the light of the open refrigerator

Always the most flattering light for good leftovers. 

My 2004 eG Blog

@chefmd and @rarerollingobject

Those are very hard issues to deal with. I hope you have good support systems to help you through them. You have all my sympathy.

I am home for a couple of weeks between two trips to deal with family business. The first trip was to help my daughter pack up and move out of her apartment. (My husband has become an expert in disassembling/assembling IKEA bookshelves.) Since her kitchen was all packed up all meals were either take out or restaurants. I am SO glad to be back in my own kitchen. 

Salmon cakes with corn and pepper relish and roasted potatoes.

DSC02266.thumb.jpg.dd8eea7fd89bf9e46fbd8f8c1dce8b18.jpg

Stewed pappers over brown rice, a roasted (CSI) chicken thigh and a Parmesan crisp

DSC02271.thumb.jpg.470d99ace6a0fe4c653000c24bb501eb.jpg

The second trip, in mid July, will involve driving to her new location in Fayetteville, Arkansas with her cat and her piano - two items that could not be put in the UPack containers. Hopefully by the time we get there she will have her kitchen unpacked and we can cook. I am quite looking forward to this trip although I would prefer it without the cat. Three days on the road with a cat will be a new experience for me. 

• Like 11

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Goat's legs. Butcher took the whole beast out of the walk-in freezer when I ordered the legs. It came with male private parts but I let the butcher keep them. Got him to half the legs otherwise they would not fit in my oven or the SV water bath. (All my built-in kitchen appliances are smaller than standard size. Typical here in this small country)

500khLs.jpg

SV for a whole day. Quickly seared when done. Suuuuuuuuuper tender and the meat had a nice flavour. No lamb-y taste in case you are wondering. Lettuce leaves were used as wraps for the meat. Pistachio picada sauce.

GkVwMH5.jpg

A sunset beer directly after dinner.  "Barrel-aged" smoked imperial stout. The name of the beer means complete and utter rubbish. In another word, BS.

hULsQ7F.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 11

Ciceri e Tria - Home made sagnarelli pasta (with some whole rye flour) with rich vegetable stock, chickpeas, some blended smooth, garlic, chili, rosemary, crisp pasta fried in butter, parmesan, pepper, nutmeg.

20170617_134131.thumb.jpg.0e460f05b9fa22e70f02b4f2b1b4539d.jpg20170617_134222.thumb.jpg.8a7cad08d3aa52acb77e9f87741160a8.jpg

• Like 8

~ Shai N.

21 minutes ago, shain said:

Looks delicious as always. Would you mind sharing the recipe?

Sure. It's paneer cubed and simmered in water with added turmeric and salt for a few minutes, then marinated for 30 minutes in pouring cream, a little ground chilli and cumin, plus grated cheddar. Put the whole lot on a foil lined baking tray, then into a 220 C oven for 10 minutes. The crispy bits stuck to the foil are worth fighting for.

• Like 3

Sweet potato and kale curry, dal with spinach, ginger cauliflower, beetroot with asafoetida, rice pilau, paratha. Served with a salad of rocket, cucumber and red onion, fresh tomato chutney and coriander chutney.

IMG_3740.thumb.JPG.094081e9becf34ce456a4c903c9fbbf0.JPG

• Like 7

Burger (6 oz) with bacon, blue cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickled Vidalia onion, mayo and horseradish mustard.

brgr2.jpg

• Like 10

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Picked up some Amberjack today.  Corn looked good, is plentiful this time of year and the market had nice looking tomatillos. Mini colored peppers and cilantro  in the fridge needing to be used 

Seared amberjack on a corn relish. This kinda of simple meal just pushes my buttons big time 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Host's note: for the next inspiring segment of this delicious topic, click here.

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 15