• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 5)

Shelby

Cut and pasted from last week (ha ha, only joking, I even used different plates). Chicken with fenugreek from Meena Pathak, stuffed baby eggplants, cauliflower and dal mahkni (both from a couple nights ago), rice, roti bread. On the side, rocket salad (chopped with lime juice and chaat masala - I figured most Indians would use what's growing in the garden), fresh coconut chutney, tamarind & date chutney, ginger pickle. The chicken and eggplants fought for star status, a dead heat I think.

IMG_3722.thumb.JPG.8ee26d897fe8e43998c6f4dd372a9528.JPG

• Like 11

ugly clean out the fridge since DH is out of town. Leftover salad components from Sunday (greens, yellow cherry tomatoes, chopped yellow bell pepper, English cuke). A few pieces of herring in cream sauce from the jar (a twice a year craving). Couple of crackers. Apricot (mealy). Contemplated a beer, but decided I only wanted half, so I passed.

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

@Norm Matthews,

I had a BLT too! The bacon was cooked for making a seven-layer salad the other day. Mine was much like yours expect I used a couple of small Campari tomatoes and this was a juicy, messy sandwich, but oh so good. Do you toast your bread, Norm? I don't for a BLT or a plain mater sammich.

I also had cottage cheese (full fat, of course) with cherries, local blueberries, local peaches, and an apricot. @BeeZee, mine wasn't mealy, but rather underripe, not juicy and not good either. I have put the second one I bought out on a plate on the counter with the tomatoes and garlic to "ripen". I am certain that it will be mealy or rotten by the time I get to it. I don't know why I keep insisting on recreating the experience of a fresh apricot ripe off the tree from my childhood in San Diego. It is always a disappointment over here on the east coast. I guess it is the seduction of the memory of the fragrance and the juice running down my chin. I fall for it every couple of years. I'm probably too old to learn and accept at this point that ripe apricots will not hold up to shipping across the country and will not ripen on the counter. The peach, blueberries and cherries were my consolation prizes. They were all perfect.

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <

image.jpeg.07a8d81509324aa33fadf4b71962fa15.jpeg

Just as I was putting this on the plate I remembered that I needed some pomegranate molasses for another purpose. I grabbed the bottle from the cupboard and without giving it sufficient thought, I drizzled some on the endive. Bad move. 

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

17 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

Second day in a row to have a sandwich for dinner.  Today was a BLT

20170620_181545.jpg

@Norm Matthews

Your bacon weaving is totally awesome. Such bacon-inspiration! :B

• Like 6

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Recently bought Six Seasons as a present for myself. Had some leftover tomatoes that needed to be consumed. Salad was with well seasoned chickpeas, grilled tomatoes with sumac and cumin and drops of yoghurt, with some sumac as well. Past weekend I prepared my first crab! Taste was delicious, it was quite some work though. 

Photo 21-06-2017, 19 44 30.jpg

Photo 17-06-2017, 14 06 39.jpg

• Like 14

image.jpeg.46e759458dd51db68dd044c01035afd5.jpeg

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

All leftovers, except the coconut rice which technically is, as it was made from leftover cooked rice.

Chicken with fenugreek, purple sprouts kurma, potatoes with spinach, tadka dal, paratha. To go with, cucumber raita, mango chutney, gunpowder chutney (toned down with a little yoghurt), kaffir lime pickle. 

IMG_3724.thumb.JPG.05a156862753a5ef19ff01fa498d7f8d.JPG

• Like 8

Pistachio & pine nut-crusted halibut with wild arugula & parsley vichyssoise from Ottolenghi's NOPI   

IMG_5560.thumb.jpg.c2d25f10021833db5acf5f48a1b85ec0.jpg

The vichyssoise (served warm, not chilled) is lovely and I'd be happy to eat a  bowl of it all on its own.  The browned butter and nut crust add a nice finish to the fish.  I can't say that the radish does much beyond looking pretty and pink. 

• Like 15

Dinner06222017.png

Fagioli e tonno that's been sitting out at room temperature for over a week.  It's gone now.

The red stuff is Aleppo pepper.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Chef salads with SV'd chicken breast. I was gentle with the spices in the SV process, but now know that I can get much more aggressive and look foreword to doing so. We also had another favorite, warm bread with soft butter and roasted garlic which I forgot to photograph.

HC

IMG_2484.thumb.JPG.6057cd35c5b3f48fdb0c0a8577a9aaac.JPGIMG_2486.thumb.JPG.c953c319c6a92273cfcb2081feba66a2.JPG

• Like 7

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:53 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

That being said I ground about a pound of chuck tonight, and I have to think of something to do with the other half of it by tomorrow.

I may just pitch it.

How about a nice Salisbury Steak?  It's a nice change and can be very tasty.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lindag said:

How about a nice Salisbury Steak?  It's a nice change and can be very tasty.

I think I reported on this somewhere above?  I cooked the remaining chuck as a hamburger and it came out wonderfully.  Quite a contrast to the night before.

Then I can't say I know the difference in definition between Salisbury steak and hamburger.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I think I reported on this somewhere above?  I cooked the remaining chuck as a hamburger and it came out wonderfully.  Quite a contrast to the night before.

Then I can't say I know the difference in definition between Salisbury steak and hamburger.

Jo, I'm sorry if I missed your earlier post.

This is what I had in mind.

for me

a Salisbury Steak is ground beef

w or w/o mix- ins that's baked or braised in something that would be come gravy.

when done

but , as its frequently said 

What do I know ?

Beetroot & potato curry, garlicky okra, stuffed baby eggplants, pillau rice, pappads, pineapple, rocket & cucumber salad, coconut chutney, ginger pickle, date & tamarind chutney.

IMG_3727.thumb.JPG.8cea975dd65b46c264ba7e52dac2ae6f.JPG

• Like 5