• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 5)

Shelby

@Kerry Beal 

this place ?

Arbor restaurant in Port Dover Ontario

I have no idea what you are having

I do know

1 ) its better than what  Im having   

no regrets

and 

2)  it doesn't seem to have its own web site

very encouraging  Id say

no fried calms w bellies ?

Too Bad.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, sartoric said:

Potatoes with spinach, coconut dal, purple sprouts kurma, lemon rice, paratha. Plus, cucumber dill raita, tomato chutney, lime pickle.

IMG_3721.thumb.JPG.2b89f19776e83495257f0b436dfc8587.JPG

You could cut and paste the same pictures over and over, every night, and I would still like your dinners.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

SV goose breast. I recently made cherry compote which released a lot of water so I reduced it and turned it into a savoury marinade for the goose breast. Made the meat taste very nice. Not much info on SV'ing goose breasts but loads of results for duck and chicken breasts. I tried 56C/2hrs. Turned out medium and moist. I've never had rare or between rare and medium rare goose breasts before. Duck breasts always, yes. Maybe I could try a different temp and time next time.

SV rhubarb is great. It keeps its shape, texture and colour. Breast had an intense shade of deep dark cherry red, almost black, even before searing.

Ke7Ct5d.jpg

Thick insulation layer!

aBvuDhr.jpg

• Like 16

image.jpeg.719c76f21c4ab9a122307d8c956881d7.jpeg

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, cakewalk said:

@sartoric - how do you make the potatoes and spinach? I think potatoes and spinach are a match made in heaven, and I'm always looking for new ways to cook them together. 

I make a rough paste with onion, ginger and garlic, sauté in a little oil, add a pinch of turmeric then cubed potatoes and a couple diced green chillies. Add cumin, coriander & chilli powders, salt and pepper, then stir to coat everything. Add a tbsp or so of water, then sauté/steam with the lid on until potatoes are tender. Add baby spinach, stir and cook til wilted.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, liuzhou said:

crab.thumb.jpg.41a0458bd394208c9dcd6c0ef92cf80a.jpg

In Chinese, these are known as 花蟹 (huā xiè), literally 'flower crabs'. Bright blue when raw. I buy them live.

Stir fried with lots of chopped garlic, grated ginger, chopped green chilli,. Added Vietnamese fish sauce and Chinese oyster sauce. Finished with chopped chives and coriander leaf.

With rice to mop up sauce. Skipped vegetation tonight.

Messy finger food - there is no dignified way to eat these.

Followed by more fresh lychees than is probably safe.

lychees.thumb.jpg.e3385f212fe81eb5116358ce44cfcd7d.jpg

liuzhou,

Your dinner looks delicious!

How does one eat a fresh lychee? There were some on offer at the Indian grocer the other day, but they were not as fresh-looking as yours are. Their skins were mostly brown. You do skin them, don't you?

> ^ . . ^ <

12 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Kerry Beal 

this place ?

Arbor restaurant in Port Dover Ontario

I have no idea what you are having

I do know

1 ) its better than what  Im having   

no regrets

and 

2)  it doesn't seem to have its own web site

very encouraging  Id say

no fried calms w bellies ?

Too Bad.

That's the place - opened the year after my father was born - he used to go there when he was a boy picking tobacco in the area and cottaging on Lake Erie a bit further up the shore. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

liuzhou,

Your dinner looks delicious!

How does one eat a fresh lychee? There were some on offer at the Indian grocer the other day, but they were not as fresh-looking as yours are. Their skins were mostly brown. You do skin them, don't you?

Actually, mine were less fresh than I would have preferred,  but they were OK.

Yes, you need to peel them - an easy job. Stick a thumbnail in where the stem was and peel away. The papery / leathery skin will tear off Then suck the white pulp away from the hard inedible seed.

IMG_6079.thumb.jpg.1f23d79899cae5750a30aeb130628f25.jpg

The skins range in colour from red to dark brown. I think the red ones are fresher, but I've never tested the theory. Here is one fully peeled and another partly peeled.When partly peeled like this, it is easy to pop the whole fruit out.

IMG_6083.thumb.jpg.32826503b002ce34c34de546829fa118.jpg

Close up.

IMG_6088.thumb.jpg.cc647d6788637af4711ac277fb640dba.jpg

Seed.. Inedible.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@Thanks for the Crepes – I ADORE those layered salads.  They seem to make SO much, though – I’ll be using your serving trick next time!

Father’s Day Dinner – Mr. Kim chose the menu - Grilled Spare Ribs w/ cherry cola glaze:

DSCN7132.JPG.d5a727542f0584f1fb57a894b7a923c7.JPG

A crappy picture of the fantastically rich sauce - cherry cola, cherry preserves, Dijon, horseradish, soy sauce, hot sauce and malt vinegar:

DSCN7131.JPG.39e83e83dbbbd0d67917af94f3bc11a8.JPG

This was a recipe that Matthew on CK gave me a few years ago – I’ve made it a few times and we just love it.  These were devoured!

Corn on the cob:

DSCN7133.JPG.d5acc6b2de7a2c0f8109d889dde47c77.JPG

My Baked Beans w/ Benton’s Bacon:

DSCN7126.JPG.6e04a55e2054a29f43566b11839fe33b.JPG

These were truly delicious and much darker mahogany than the picture shows.  While they TASTED wonderful, the texture was not perfect.  There were some beans that were not as tender as they should have been.  Because of timing issues, I tried to do them in the slow cooker and they would just not get tender.  I found a recipe that didn’t require the one hour boil and I’m sure that was the problem.  I tried to save them by simmering on the stove after I took them out of the slow cooker and, mostly, I did.  But trying to balance between simmering them at a high enough temperature to soften the beans and low enough to not burn the thick sauce took an almost all night babysitting job! 

Tomato Salad :

DSCN7129.JPG.8f6b472f456628b49ae31e7b139b2d9b.JPG

This was a really good quick marinated salad with spring onions, parsley, balsamic, olive oil, garlic and jarred pesto. 

Marinated cucumbers:

DSCN7130.JPG.ff144d150b4d93289d5c17494e25e310.JPG

Cornbread muffins:

DSCN7134.JPG.30a15ea3b5e2c23a67bb511255dd6b86.JPG

Dessert was Brown Sugar Peach Pie w/ ice cream and bourbon caramel sauce & Kiwi-Lime Pie:

DSCN7138.JPG.35d53f42c0911015a81c7e134acdd97a.JPG

• Like 15

I am at a conference in Hot Springs, where I used to live, so I have been visiting old favorite haunts. Food has, unfortunately, not lived up to memory.

Sunday night pasta. Tried an old favorite, penne in vodka cream sauce, at an old standby favorite. Vodka sauce was so garlicky as to be almost inedible.  Monday noon, Mexican, again at a favorite. Again, disappointing. Monday night, dinner at a friend's craft brewery. Beer was marvelous, but she's changed her menu and taken many of my favorites away. Different chef, too.Today, Greek. Meh.

Tonight, however, I will eat at my second favorite German restaurant in the world. I have faith it will be marvelous. Headed home right after lunch tomorrow.

Breakfast this morning was at a new coffee shop which, in addition to excellent coffee, had a marvelous breakfast bowl with yogurt, granola and fruit. I may return tomorrow. Yesterday's breakfast was at a 60-year-old pancake shop -- eggs, bacon, and pancakes. Probably why yesterday's Mexican lunch didn't hit the spot; the spot was still full.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 minutes ago, kayb said:

I am at a conference in Hot Springs, where I used to live, so I have been visiting old favorite haunts. Food has, unfortunately, not lived up to memory.

Sunday night pasta. Tried an old favorite, penne in vodka cream sauce, at an old standby favorite. Vodka sauce was so garlicky as to be almost inedible.  Monday noon, Mexican, again at a favorite. Again, disappointing. Monday night, dinner at a friend's craft brewery. Beer was marvelous, but she's changed her menu and taken many of my favorites away. Different chef, too.Today, Greek. Meh.

Tonight, however, I will eat at my second favorite German restaurant in the world. I have faith it will be marvelous. Headed home right after lunch tomorrow.

Breakfast this morning was at a new coffee shop which, in addition to excellent coffee, had a marvelous breakfast bowl with yogurt, granola and fruit. I may return tomorrow. Yesterday's breakfast was at a 60-year-old pancake shop -- eggs, bacon, and pancakes. Probably why yesterday's Mexican lunch didn't hit the spot; the spot was still full.

Oh how I love Hot Springs.  I think I probably have been to the Italian place.....I can't remember the name but the food was amazing.  I had house made ravioli that I can still taste it was so good.  Sorry that it was disappointing :(

I definitely know the breakfast place and they do make a damn good one.  We went there before the races a lot to eat.

The German will awesome I bet.  I never made it over to eat there and I wish we had.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Oh how I love Hot Springs.  I think I probably have been to the Italian place.....I can't remember the name but the food was amazing.  I had house made ravioli that I can still taste it was so good.  Sorry that it was disappointing :(

I definitely know the breakfast place and they do make a damn good one.  We went there before the races a lot to eat.

The German will awesome I bet.  I never made it over to eat there and I wish we had.

Different one from when you were here, I think, though in the same location. New ownership, much better food. Will report.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Tonight I'm doing a bone-in, skin on chicken breast sous vide then seared, with a garlic-lemon rice pilaf, roasted carrot and onion, with a bocconcini salad.

• Like 6

Chicken Thai Green Curry.  It was a hot spicy one so I served it two ways.  In a bowl with lots of the sauce for me and on a plate for my wife and her friend so as not to be so hot.

IMG_20170620_195854.thumb.jpg.21bc522f5c85246b3d11ac732b1972de.jpg

• Like 9