• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 5)

Shelby

Leftover skippy rogan josh with spinach and sesame potatoes, baby eggplant in tomato gravy, aged basmati and roti paratha. On the side - green onion, mint and dill raita, mango chutney and ginger pickle.

IMG_3708.thumb.JPG.63576422c99275b425735b5a3b5a7769.JPG

• Like 11

11 hours ago, Jacksoup said:

@Shelby @ElainaA and @Okanagancook  I absolutely agree about the sauce.  I made it with yellow cherry tomatoes, froze some, served it to the boyfriend farmer in March.  He loved it so much he planted 25 yellow cherry tomatoes this year.  We'll probably never run out of it now!

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

Thanks Shelby (and Elaina)! 

Thanks everyone! I am glad so many people like this! I will post the recipe on recipegullet so it is easier to find. I can't promise that that will happen this week as I still remain bogged down in family turmoil (the reason I have not been posting much for quite awhile) and will be away until early next week, but I will make sure that it does happen. 

• Like 6

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Shrimp fra diavolo, with tons of fresh garlic, herbs, shallots, capers, finely diced sweet peppers, tomato paste, dry sherry and just enough hot chili oil to bring in some heat. We both loved this!

HC

IMG_2434.thumb.JPG.8364018bd06b16107348df63f8c6b2b6.JPGIMG_2435.thumb.JPG.9058d4084d7b3ba8bbfde27ee1290d97.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 13

A cooler day yesterday so some REAL cooking for dinner...

spinach and Jerusalem artichoke pasta, sautéed shrimp with black olives, capers and cherry tomatoes for Johnnybird

oven roasted chicken breast, Spanish rice and a small salad for me

scrambled eggs with toast and some aged cheddar for John's second dinner about 1030.........

• Like 7

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

12 minutes ago, sartoric said:

Great idea, I'm going to try that. What do you add to the edamames ?

Olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, chilli flakes, sea salt.

I started out to make what in my mind was just a sort of green soybean purée, then I realised it was very  hummus--like so I asked Mr Google and found he has many recipes. I still stick to my own, though.That said, this one is very similar to mine except I'm using fresh beans and don't like parsley..

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

35 minutes ago, adey73 said:

liuzhou you cut the fish yourself or is that readily available in your neck of the woods?

were there pin bones? 

Readily available. A few pin bones, but not many. I managed to get them all but one before cooking. We are very bone tolerant in China.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Left over roasted chicken brought from the office (we had lunch brought in from Boston market) with corn, tomatoes, onion, red peppers.  Kinda like succotash but without beans.

image.thumb.jpg.5cef6d7326a7117151328404d93236a1.jpg

• Like 9

An aerial view of -  pullao rice, parathas, potatoes with peas, chickpea and spinach salad, paneer butter masala, dill raita, ginger pickle, green chilli chutney and mango chutney.

IMG_4143.thumb.JPG.ca1dac1602de7d0c29486e678e3eb727.JPG

Then there was the abysmal failure chocolate cake, now destined for trifle.

IMG_4144.thumb.JPG.c329b5a3f81eb8d42213e17b1d31e2c2.JPG

• Like 13

@sartoric, the dishes and condiments you put together every day fill me with envy!  Sorry about the cake :(

I had something else in mind for dinner but by the time I got home from the farmers market and other errands I realized that I'd skipped lunch and was getting very, very hangry.

Buttered Prawns With Tomatoes, Olives and Arak from Ottelenghi. I debated serving this over pasta.  It would have been good but time was of the essence.  

IMG_5479.thumb.jpg.ee15afb58a829359fa1c782d63db9b58.jpg

Very quick and simple.  I am fed.  Crisis averted. 

• Like 14

2 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Ground chuck burger, cooked SV to 133F then torch-seared, served with cauliflower in butter a la Voltaggio and salad.

burger-caul.jpg.430795439948383b8042b03789a1e39c.jpg

What's the Voltaggio cauliflower recipe?

@BonVivant – your photos are just breathtakingly lovely!  That cured salmon is especially gorgeous – positively jewel-like!

We had some of Mr. Kim’s BBQ a couple of nights ago.

DSCN7100.JPG.1e50c7de8ee69a296ba6b91c54f585c2.JPG

w/ yellow squash and slaw.  My sandwich – chopped w/ slaw:

DSCN7101.JPG.449c1fa8f62848bf611d16f397ec79eb.JPG

Tonight was raw veggies:

DSCN7114.JPG.a1ae6f64615d318e289a4f3e45a6d85f.JPG

And Country Shrimp Pizza:

DSCN7115.JPG.bcc3a251401ae6ba224f7903958c9db7.JPG

This recipe is so old!  I remember that I saw someone make it on the Regis and Kathie Lee show!  And I had to send in a self-addressed stamped envelope to get the recipe!  Remember THAT?  I also remember that Boboli pizza crusts had just come out and that’s what I used to use.  I’ve decided to make it for one of our dinners when our friends visit us in July, so I tried it today since I haven’t made it in forever.  I reworked it a bit.  It is basically a ricotta and horseradish sauce on crust topped with bacon, cooked shrimp and mozzarella.  This time, I used garlic naan instead of a Boboli, prosciutto instead of bacon, BARELY cooked shrimp and fresh mozzarella.  This was really, really good and easy and I will be happy to serve it to guests.  MUCH better than the last pizza I tried to make (my total fail breakfast pizza that I posted about on another thread). 

• Like 15

12 hours ago, gfweb said:

What's the Voltaggio cauliflower recipe?

Not really a recipe, but a technique for cooking vegetables by vacuum packing and then microwaving them.  I first was made aware of it in a post by @weedy here: https://forums.egullet.org/topic/149038-sous-vide-beets/?do=findComment&comment=1979329

I use this now for almost all vegetables that I would previously have steamed or cooked more conventionally in the microwave.

• Like 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Temperatures dropped today, finally, that means I can eat "normal" food again.

Have an aversion to green onions but chives are OK.

PBlp1lF.jpg

SV chicken (leg and breast done separately) with Shaoxing wine and ginger.

In the sauce: dark "superior" soya sauce, ginger, garlic, Sichuan "facing heaven" chillies etc.

vrg8hNf.jpg

Cold food recently:

Pasta with cream, SV rhubarb and chervil.

xihe3KV.jpg

Goat's cheese panna cotta.

jqhYsh7.jpg

From the other day:

SV rhubarb and raw, shaved asparagus.

vOd5eYU.jpg

Dill and prawn panna cotta.

Hg6JE6T.jpg

Cucumber and roe.

7qnUnpT.jpg

Pureed asparagus and cucumber.

9min966.jpg

So, leftover prawns and Gravadlax became new dinner.

SasUJHD.jpg

And lastly, thank you, @Kim Shook! I love that salmon, too.

• Like 18

5 hours ago, BonVivant said:

Temperatures dropped today, finally, that means I can eat "normal" food again.

Have an aversion to green onions but chives are OK.

PBlp1lF.jpg

SV chicken (leg and breast done separately) with Shaoxing wine and ginger.

In the sauce: dark "superior" soya sauce, ginger, garlic, Sichuan "facing heaven" chillies etc.

vrg8hNf.jpg

Cold food recently:

Pasta with cream, SV rhubarb and chervil.

xihe3KV.jpg

Goat's cheese panna cotta.

jqhYsh7.jpg

From the other day:

SV rhubarb and raw, shaved asparagus.

vOd5eYU.jpg

Dill and prawn panna cotta.

Hg6JE6T.jpg

Cucumber and roe.

7qnUnpT.jpg

Pureed asparagus and cucumber.

9min966.jpg

So, leftover prawns and Gravadlax became new dinner.

SasUJHD.jpg

And lastly, thank you, @Kim Shook! I love that salmon, too.

I particularly liked the figs.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I came home from work overwhelmingly tired.  Dinner was store bought frozen ravioli (cooked properly this time) with my tomato sauce from the refrigerator.  Baguette and sweet butter, not shown.

Dinner06172017.png

Torn basil from my balcony.  Good thing I went out with a flashlight or it would have been the sage.

Dessert, small sliver of torta caprese al limoncello, dolci di franci.

Torta06172017.png

• Like 11

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

image.jpeg.7a2b15da6f28073aff56cf44dc494242.jpeg

I ran out of steam by the time I was ready to take a photograph so I apologize for its really poor quality.   This is an adaptation of a recipe from Ottolenghi -- caramelized endive with serrano ham.  Belgian endive are cut in half, caramelized in a butter sugar mixture and then topped with a breadcrumb, cheese and ham mixture  and briefly roasted. Definitely worth repeating.

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog