• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 5)

Shelby

56 minutes ago, ninagluck said:

today I felt like playing around in the kitchen. and, tata, I was successful, butter fried porcini, truffle sauce, one hour eggyolk, crispy porcini shell

I can't be the only one dying to know about the crispy porcini shell.

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It rained all day here, so I happily spent time in the kitchen.

Lemon & dill rice, eggplants in tomato gravy, dal parripu, chow chow kootu, spinach paneer, roti paratha. On the side, mint, dill & green onion raita, carrot salad, green chilli chutney, garlic chutney. 

IMG_3696.thumb.JPG.adf3d78a9d0b2c94f1de617fd0ad643d.JPG

• Like 11

Sunday night roast lamb dinner.

Including Yorkshire Puddings, Pumpkin, Roast potatoes & Broccoli.

IMG_20170611_184632.thumb.jpg.3c4a49a0012eac36b9b8aaa279ef53ed.jpg

IMG_20170611_184639.thumb.jpg.0dd8a77882cce0230d72f1baec6e948a.jpg

IMG_20170611_185013.thumb.jpg.d5bfb55b39666f683e760ffc7a91ec7a.jpg

No glama shots here.  You get the pots & pans and cutting board and mess.  I feared I would loose a limb if not served quickly.

Edited by Captain (log)
  • Like 14

Rubbed a couple pork butts with salt yesterday. Got up early this morning, coated 'em in a spice rub and got the smoker going. They spent most of the day relaxing in 225 F heat with 4 hours of pecan smoke at the start. A big pan of beans kept the pork company in the smoker while I made coleslaw. Pretty much your basic slaw other than I added a couple shredded granny smith apples and some minced jalapenos.

bbq1.jpg

Figured I might as well make my own bbq sauce to go with it. I actually planned ahead for this one and made the sauces last weekend so they'd have time for everything to mingle. They say variety is the spice of life, so I went with it...

sauce1.jpg

From left to right: North Carolina red* (vinegar based), South Carolina gold (mustard based), Alabama white (mayo based) and Kansas City (the sweet stuff). 

*Just in case any N.C. eGulleters are prepared to pounce, I'll specify that this is the Western N.C. type with the addition of a smallish percentage of ketchup. I've tried the Eastern straight vinegar stuff and it is tasty but I like the red slightly better.

• Like 16

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Earlier today I was fortunate enough to have a visit from @Kerry Beal on her way to the airport for yet another adventure.  She was joined by @Alleguede, who very kindly brought me some of his extraordinary baguettes (and equally extraordinary  kouign amann), which I enjoyed at the 2016 chocolates and confections workshop in Toronto and of which I have dreamt ever since. Given such a windfall, I wanted something simple that would let the bread shine. And so:

IMG_2426.thumb.JPG.6689fd8486813bd91664ae098723aa80.JPG

Garlicky blistered tomatoes, pan deglazed with a bit of white wine, reverently applied to gently warmed baguette bite-by-bite, punctuated here and there with bits of cheeses (cheddary, but not sure exactly what kind) left from other uses but well up to this task. All consumed al fresco with a spiked seltzer on a gorgeous late spring Buffalo evening.

• Like 14

Patty

Chicken cooked sous vide and re heated in CSI.  Breast for DH and drumstick for me.  Purple potatoes and peppers sauté on the side.  Served with garlicky aioli (not shown).

image.thumb.jpg.2e8c8737fa15ca227df3a0fd234b3b39.jpg

• Like 12

21 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

@Tri2Cook   Black beans?   Sure looks like it.   Meal looks great.  Smoked pork butt and sides pushes my buttons 

Nope. Just some color from the smoker and low-end photography skills. :D

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Ottolenghi mish mash.

593de7631fe51_IMG_5445(1).thumb.jpg.cfc3fc834bee56570df06d1dd68c57e5.jpg

Clockwise from upper right: Yogurt flatbread from Plenty, Membrillo & Stilton quiche from Plenty More, Cucumber & poppyseed salad from Ottolenghi and Marinated peppers (with feta instead of mozzarella) from Ottolenghi. Oil-cured olives in the middle. All new to me except the flatbread that I made for the first last week.  All good, all easy.

• Like 15

We were given a gift certificate to Whole Paycheck and bought two dry aged steaks. From past experience, we knew they were just too big for us, and cut themt in half and made two meals out of them. Deb likes her steak medium well (a battle I have given up fighting) and I like mine rare, but I have gotten pretty good at making it all happen. We had it with a small salad with lettuce from the garden and a good sized baker.

HC

IMG_2413.thumb.JPG.789b96b50fe5338a2e23f84dc3f0fee6.JPG

IMG_2417.thumb.JPG.64ea8f3b238010ac96b2638a7f0b6bd6.JPG

IMG_2416.thumb.JPG.4b0ed75afe01ed92b73fe3ae555c615a.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 13

When it comes to left-overs, nothing beats the humble "Breznknödel". Here together with cured pork neck and some Riesling. I do love left-overs (even when they were produced on purpose :$) ...

WP_20170612_20_10_38_Rich.jpg

• Like 8

@Anna N and @liuzhou that's how I made it: fill half sphere mold with softened butter, harden in the freezer, put two together to have a ball. bread twice with flour, egg and breadcrumbs mixed with porcini powder and parmesan. freeze again. deep fry at 160°C, wait 1 min or so, cut them open with pointed scissors and let the butter come out. done! I was worried that they might break, but they are quite robust. fill with whatever you like.

IMG_2993.JPG

IMG_2995.JPG

IMG_3006.JPG

• Like 13

@ninagluck

Quite amazing.   Thank you for sharing although there isn't a hope in hell that I would ever attempt it,

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Tomato rice with brussel sprouts kurma (both from the Bangala Table), dal parripu, choko kootu, pineapple chutney and methi flatbread. On the side, coconut and mint raita, lime pickles, garlic chutney. The sprouts starred, my co-eater has never been a fan but agreed these were delish.

IMG_3700.thumb.JPG.0e4ee4a48adf85c9c566b5c28194df84.JPG

• Like 10

image.jpeg.f42bcfa7adbabffd396d3a5d3d9dbc0d.jpeg

Sous-vide sirloin cap (picanha) with oven roasted mushrooms.  Mushrooms roasted with garlic and thyme. Roasted garlic smeared on steak and both mushrooms and steak finished with a pat of butter. 

image.jpeg.ef05ecb057fc53180be9bf73dada4252.jpeg

Life is good  until you realize there is no more in the freezer!

• Like 15

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, ninagluck said:

@Anna N and @liuzhou that's how I made it: fill half sphere mold with softened butter, harden in the freezer, put two together to have a ball. bread twice with flour, egg and breadcrumbs mixed with porcini powder and parmesan. freeze again. deep fry at 160°C, wait 1 min or so, cut them open with pointed scissors and let the butter come out. done! I was worried that they might break, but they are quite robust. fill with whatever you like.

IMG_2993.JPG

IMG_2995.JPG

IMG_3006.JPG

Wow!

Very creative. I'm not sure I am brave enough to follow you, though.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, ninagluck said:

Cool technique. I've never thought of using butter as a medium to create a hollow shell but I like it. Gonna have to give it a go.

• Like 2

Last few meals:

SV flank steaks. In my house the cows and creatures in the sea co-exist in peace.

wGEYryd.jpg

Asparagus gratin. The white spears were overwhelmed by the cream.

sq1K7nQ.jpg

Too close?

eL5mdyi.jpg

It still spring, officially.

UCuNeDX.jpg

SV lamb. I have a rosemary plant in the garden.

3CBTqOx.jpg

The biggest turbot I have bought thus far. This one was 1.5kg. Lasted 2 meals. Only got it because my brill was not available that day and that it had roe intact. Big roe. Managed to cut it in half cleanly with a heavy cleaver.

eBYiq4f.jpg

Roasted the roe attached half in the oven, this half was cooked on the Weber the next day. It started to rain right about here (but didn't last long).

vPXnw2n.jpg

Fits the width of the Weber grill grate.

rmnFBTm.jpg

There's quite a bit of scotch in it.

cH2qBvt.jpg

Hard to pick which I like more: the Riesling, the salmon or the potatoes? They are simply faultless and complement each other perfectly. Didn't have time to photograph the wine, but this is it, brought back by yours truly from the same cellar shop in the article.

UdQX8vr.jpg

• Like 18

@BonVivant  why can you not like, like a hundred times!   Your meals always looks amazing.  

No pics, I know, no pics or it didn't happen, but 5 oz fresh ground chuck burgers paired with sautéed fresh corn off the cob and oven fries.  Hit my buttons big time

• Like 8