• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 5)

Shelby

Shaved Brussels sprouts salad with Parmesan and grilled strip steak with turnips. Steak was done medium rare even though the photo does not show it very well.  Eating outdoors, it's getting darker

image.thumb.jpg.5926802af89b3f97091e6556f2255d6f.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.06cd487b47f57aa0410429afef86a696.jpg

• Like 10

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 2:41 PM, Toliver said:

I'm with Ronnie. He has my sympathies. ;)

Johnnybird stands with both of you....of course we know better......

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 8:53 AM, Shelby said:

Our first beets--just with a little salt and pepper--SO good (Ronnie thinks they taste like dirt but I love 'em)

They do taste earthy to me also, but in a good way, so I'm on your side of the fence, if it should matter. I have planted them quite a few times, but they have never come up for me.

HC

• Like 1

To go with my leftover veggie stew and rice I thawed out a piece of spareribs and roasted them in the crockpot with nothing but salt, pepper and crushed red pepper. Four hours and fifteen minutes on high was just a little too long, because the bark had become a bit to developed, but the method works even for that small piece of rib. Most of the fat had rendered, there was good softening of the collagen, and surprising browning for the tool I was using. I stood the little rack up meat side to one side of the pot, and after two hours took a pair of tongs and flipped it bone side against the opposite side of the pot.

I'll do this again, but for a bit less time. 

• Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <

This was meant to be a small afternoon snack. In a bout of home sickness my wife requested Churros with heavy dipping chocolate - technically Catalan breakfast. I whipped up a (pretty large) batch and there were no leftovers... And no dinner :$

WP_20170610_17_42_48_Rich.jpg

• Like 20

Cold cucumber soup

Until now I have made cold beet soup with chard as the base ingredient. My husband and my dad both like this kind of cold soup. Today I tried a new version of cold soup. Cold cucumber soup with natural yoghurt with dill and peppermint leaves was excellent. You may serve it with hard boiled eggs or new potatoes.

The recipes comes from from "Smaki życia" ("Flavour of Life") by Agnieszka Maciąg.

Ingredients (for 4 people)
800g of natural yoghurt
4 fresh new cucumbers
2 tablespoons of minced peppermint leaves
4 tablespoons of minced dill
2 cloves of garlic
4 eggs
salt and pepper

Clean the cucumbers, cut the ends and grate them (with the skin on). Crush the garlic, add to the cucumbers, spice it up with salt and pepper and mix it in. Add the yoghurt, peppermint and dill. Stir the soup. Serve chilled with a hard-boiled egg.

IMG_0515a.jpg

• Like 9

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

@chefmd  your brussels are right up my alley.   Love them shredded or just about every way.    Fresh only though.    

Tried frozen from the grocery store and was like "this is why people dislike them".  Maybe I didn't treat them appropriately as they were mushy and bitter 

Tonight. Mango beef with asparagus and rice.

The beef is marinated in rice vinegar and osmanthus flavoured rice wine with garlic, minced ginger (lots) and chili flakes, then slow-cooked until tender. Mango is hedgehog cubed, added to the beef and allowed to warm through. Served in a half 'shell' of mango skin.The asparagus was grilled/broiled.

593bfb1771eb8_mangobeef.jpg.3d2e4f5604fe3782706d9d9fee655c5b.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8 hours ago, HungryChris said:

They do taste earthy to me also, but in a good way, so I'm on your side of the fence, if it should matter. I have planted them quite a few times, but they have never come up for me.

HC

I'll trade you some beets for some rhubarb :)  

Breakfast for dinner last night.  I made too much food.  I wanted both asparagus and yellow squash, so I made that along with hash browns and some sausages.  It was fun making it--I did the eggs and hollandaise sauce SV.  Super easy and I liked that you could hold them in the water bath until the rest of the meal was ready to plate.

Ronnie got super creative so I had to show you his plating skills LOL

593c063f0e10c_photo136.JPG.aa0204ba3b9590858e2dc139fcc2ceaa.JPG

My boring plating skills

593c064650ef5_photo137.JPG.b9adc00a115a7ea931cd530a3492c92a.JPG

• Like 18

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Tonight. Mango beef with asparagus and rice.

The beef is marinated in rice vinegar and osmanthus flavoured rice wine with garlic, minced ginger (lots) and chili flakes, then slow-cooked until tender. Mango is hedgehog cubed, added to the beef and allowed to warm through. Served in a half 'shell' of mango skin.The asparagus was grilled/broiled.

593bfb1771eb8_mangobeef.jpg.3d2e4f5604fe3782706d9d9fee655c5b.jpg

That sounds marvelous. Particularly as I love most anything you can do with a mango. Going to try it.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Pork loin chops, char-siu style.  6 hour marinate with char siu mix used as a dry rub, cooked SV, basted with honey, torch seared then a final honey baste a sesame seeds before serving.  Served with cauliflower in butter a la Voltaggio and salad.

cs-chops.jpg.efc8755982d297f1e0f174ba00ce54b5.jpg

• Like 11

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

@mgaretz - We agree with you - we really love a maple glaze on salmon!

@Shelby – the four of us could have a happy meal together – you and Mr. Kim could enjoy beets and Ronnie and I could sneer at you all’s dirt eatin’ ways:P!

The other day my sister stopped for the night on her way to Florida.  My daughter, niece and mom came over for dinner.  Mr. Kim was smoking a couple of pork butts for a poker party and he did two chickens for us for dinner.  Just gorgeous:

DSCN7083.JPG.346af2f68cb10bf433af9013a7591cd8.JPG

DSCN7088.JPG.ac2569f451eafb7d13b4856afe50d96c.JPG

To go with it, I just did a simple pilaf, salad, marinated cucumbers and Aldi ‘croissants’:

DSCN7089.JPG.65f6cedb2674ad85798cc190b72c4d5c.JPG

This was a kinda-sorta pilaf.  Since I was serving the chicken plain (I did offer BBQ sauce if anyone wanted it), I wanted to ‘fancy up’ the rice a bit.  I sautéed some onion until it was browned and set it aside.  To the water, I added one of those Knorr Vegetable Stock Concentrate tubs and cooked the rice as usual.  At the end, I tossed in the onion.  It was surprisingly tasty.

DSCN7087.JPG.e6d982bdb5d51e0df6b19fa2d170db51.JPG

DSCN7086.JPG.915a9f87463236c0c9d72781520aeb08.JPG

DSCN7091.JPG.c91cce9f72a4c12841b908e48d0501ad.JPG

I get these a lot.  They are really cheap and less like croissant than classic crescent rolls I remember my grandmother making from scratch. 

Mr. Kim’s pork:

DSCN7092.JPG.4d92002b6e0a942119e9de8f565ae9fe.JPG

DSCN7093.JPG.e2d98886505dcb3e095043c448b991aa.JPG

It was glorious!

• Like 17

6 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

@chefmd  your brussels are right up my alley.   Love them shredded or just about every way.    Fresh only though.    

Tried frozen from the grocery store and was like "this is why people dislike them".  Maybe I didn't treat them appropriately as they were mushy and bitter 

I have never tasted frozen Brussels but have assume that brassicas do not freeze very well.

A big day in the kitchen yesterday. On the plate - aged basmati rice, fish (NZ Hoki) in mustard gravy from 50 Great Curries by Camellia Panjabi, chow chow kootu from The Bangala Table, aloo gobi (potatoes with cauliflower). On the runner - roti parathas, lime pickle, tomato chutney, kosambri (carrot, moong dal and coconut salad), pineapple chutney, mint and dill raita. Chow chow is the Indian name for chokoes or chayote, I tried it in India and wondered how anyone could make this bland veggie taste so good. Memories of a favourite uncle who peeled and boiled all veggies for at least 20 minutes (including zucchini). I also remember people pleading to give them away as the vines were so prolific. Not these suckers, $7 a kilo !

IMG_4132.thumb.JPG.f0cd65e546a2b92472e9d52ac6993bb3.JPG

• Like 14

1 hour ago, sartoric said:

A big day in the kitchen yesterday. On the plate - aged basmati rice, fish (NZ Hoki) in mustard gravy from 50 Great Curries by Camellia Panjabi, chow chow kootu from The Bangala Table, aloo gobi (potatoes with cauliflower). On the runner - roti parathas, lime pickle, tomato chutney, kosambri (carrot, moong dal and coconut salad), pineapple chutney, mint and dill raita. Chow chow is the Indian name for chokoes or chayote, I tried it in India and wondered how anyone could make this bland veggie taste so good. Memories of a favourite uncle who peeled and boiled all veggies for at least 20 minutes (including zucchini). I also remember people pleading to give them away as the vines were so prolific. Not these suckers, $7 a kilo !

There's a fish called hoki? 

I would absolutely, positively, have to use it to make poke. Just 'cause. 

• Like 14

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, ninagluck said:

very simple dinner tonight, fried porkchops with ajvar, onions and a classical cucumber salad from Styria. sourcream and pumpkinseed oil goes give it a special taste

Well this sent me off in many different directions. I discovered pumpkin seed oil is a major export of Styria and that one of the common dressings in that part of Austria is cider vinegar and pumpkinseed oil?   I am also curious about the onions. Are they raw?  Is this an Austrian style of eating to have raw onions and ajvar with pork chops? I have both ajvar and pumpkinseed oil in my refrigerator and I am quite happy eating raw onions. Thank you. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just me tonight, so top sirloin, cooked SV then torch-seared, served with buttered white corn a la Voltaggio, salad with sherry vinaigrette and a glass of Rocky's Block Red.  Fresh cherries will be later for dessert (with more RBR).

sirloin-corn2.jpg.f8af5a6ba75980603caa4599f612fe13.jpg

• Like 15

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

7 hours ago, chefmd said:

I have never tasted frozen Brussels but have assume that brassicas do not freeze very well.

I recall reading somewhere that the taste of Brussels sprouts was improved by freezing?  When I have them in house (which I don't at the moment) I store them in the coldest part of the refrigerator that sometimes goes below.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

29 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I recall reading somewhere that the taste of Brussels sprouts was improved by freezing?  When I have them in house (which I don't at the moment) I store them in the coldest part of the refrigerator that sometimes goes below.

I like frozen brussels sprouts just fine, and I used to grow my own. I do not like previously frozen broccoli or cauliflower at all, though, so your frozen brassica tastes may vary as well.

I made breakfast for dinner tonight. I was craving some of my homemade blueberry pancakes from the freezer, but also was thinking about hashbrowns. I needed to lighten that combo up a little so I made spiced opo squash pakoras with a little besan in place of hashbrowns. I also had fried eggs for protein and a Burro banana and ripe, juicy peach.

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <