• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 5)

Shelby

Salmon, cooked SV then torch-seared.  I went back to my old honey-mustard-zinfandel glaze.  I was fine, but I am liking my maple-bourbon glaze better these days.  Served with cabbage in butter made a la Voltaggio.  Fresh cherries for dessert.

salmon-cab.jpg.0825f5a01518fd2ae5891c7d0a746e4c.jpg

• Like 11

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Found some mulberry leaves in the freezer my mom and sister picked in Atlanta many years ago.  I had vacuumed sealed them.  IMG_0551.thumb.JPG.1c1f8f3280c1558793b17dff692581cf.JPGIMG_0559.thumb.JPG.7de296ab18ea5581d37ced9106fc1480.JPGIMG_0546.thumb.JPG.55ad4b490b50de70720ed1e84075344a.JPGAlthough some showed minor textural issues there was no freezer burn taste.   So got down to stuffing and rolling.  Ground meat and rice with a baharat spice mix.   Cooked in canned tomato with lemon juice and garlic.  Sliced potatoes on the bottom.   The leaves still showed good integrity and taste 

IMG_0547.JPG

• Like 15

SV pork loin with apple mustard sauce, cinnamon glazed carrots, potatoes

004.thumb.jpg.649781027ca1da18f674b4adba007cf1.jpg

Pulled pork with blackened onion pot salad, cole slaw, grilled corn

015.thumb.jpg.6664bb8cd3a0e57cdebda2ac51ff1c1a.jpg

017.thumb.jpg.2595b84873b63f018ce164885da5be0c.jpg

0121.thumb.jpg.5acfe29d1f2c4ae672c546d71a15738c.jpg

018.thumb.jpg.dd7a098804fb2c8cce2af905247f892f.jpg

• Like 12

SV'd pork chops, our first beets--just with a little salt and pepper--SO good (Ronnie thinks they taste like dirt but I love 'em), our first squash, homemade bread, taters and spaghetti salad.  I was stuffed.

593948a87ee76_photo132.JPG.6ab7f27e5561b572691b8af4a37939e6.JPG

593948b17117a_photo133.JPG.d896fb80be424dacbe3e2bac09eb947c.JPG

593948b734c8b_photo134.JPG.67a8503917bdd3b0899d2acb427b068d.JPG

• Like 12

@gfweb  

out standing meals , as susual

I noticed this portion of meat on you P.Loin :

Pork.jpg.a480e5682ef80dfa52d967cc5dcf8f6b.jpg

this darker pork muscle is at the front end of the loin , then  peters out towards the tail end.

it some of the tastiest pork there is

its thickness varies on where you cut the whole loin , and varies from loin to loin

its never ' butchered out ' as far as I can tell

Ive asked butchers from time to time what muscle it is and so far know one has known

it clearly has a different job than the pale rest of the loin.

too bad its not sold separately 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, HungryChris said:

It's St Patty's day in June. This is one of our favorite meals. Tomorrow I will have to start counting how many we have left in the freezer.

That's my New Year's Day dinner! A great way to start out the New Year...

5 hours ago, Shelby said:

...our first beets--just with a little salt and pepper--SO good (Ronnie thinks they taste like dirt but I love 'em)...

I'm with Ronnie. He has my sympathies. ;)

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

@rotuts, Thanks! That is a nice piece of meat indeed.

My son the med student asked the same question about the dark muscle.

I told him to look it up and tell me on rounds tomorrow  :D

• Like 3

I did a little goggling :

whole-pork-loin-cutup.jpg

from this site :

http://www.mnfarmliving.com/2017/01/whole-pork-loin.html

I guess that front end gets cut off , butterflied and sold as country style ribs , some time boneless.  this cut has a lot of that darker meat

guess that's why I like the CSR so much !

if you are ever getting less than a whole P Loin  get the hunk that's on the larger end , towards the head :

http://www.unclejerryskitchen.com/diy/butcher-whole-pork-loin/

the darker meat in on the L of the first pic

and on the R of the second pic of the whole loin

the 3d  pic cut up is even more dramatic 

look at those three chops on the R :

Good eating , set SV  or a fast grill to rare.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Cumin flavoured rice, spicy potato and sweet potato, cucumber raita, chana dal with zucchini, lime pickle and methi thepla. Methi thepla is a Gujarati flatbread made with wholemeal flour and fresh methi (fenugreek) leaves. There is a teaspoon of gunpowder chutney hiding behind the fork. Post photo a large dollop of mango chutney was added.

IMG_3684.thumb.JPG.a6383e3e87c750ab270f95b61ca18dad.JPG

• Like 7

image.jpeg.9729ba80fe63b63b421dae37c18e3bb1.jpeg

A somewhat mucked up version of the recipe from Ottolenghi's Jerusalem.  Although this recipe seems to have garnered its share of kudos, I had my doubts that it would suit my taste. I tend to shy away from savoury recipes that call for cinnamon.   But this just works.  I mistakenly grabbed jasmine instead of basmati rice, I didn't chop up nearly enough herbs for the finishing touch, the currants were more easily located than the barberries and yet, despite all this, it seemed like comfort food that I had been eating all my life.   There are leftovers and provided I can resist seconds......

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I made a vegetable stew out of onion sauteed in oil, then garlic and potatoes added. Then went in the liquid from a couple of cans of tomatoes that used to be a pound, but are now 14.5 oz in the rip off world we live in today. How small will they get until they actually disappear? Peeled and cubed eggplant went in, as well as zucchini, some cleaned and sliced sweet mini peppers, the orange and yellows. Then the seasoning: two cubes of Knorr Caldo de Pollo, some ground cloves and some nutmeg and black pepper. I always buy Badia brand for black pepper, and go through about a pound of it a year by myself. It says it's packed in USA, and gives an address in Doral, FL, but you can only find this at Mexican grocers or in the Mexican section of mainstream grocers. All other pre-ground peppers disappoint after trying Badia. So fragrant! I chopped the canned tomatoes after cooling the pot with their liquid to keep the garlic from burning. This stew cooked up into something I love to eat. I spiced it with a little ground cloves and nutmeg, which went into the oil to cook with the potatoes, onions and garlic. I thought of ground cinnamon later in the cooking process. 

I cooked up some basmati rice, as I have been instructed to do here on eG. My basmati used to cook up kind of clumpy and gluey, but members have instructed me to rinse it until the water runs clear and then use a lesser water ratio than for American rice. Tonight I used 1 c rinsed basmati to 1-5/8 c water. I had a little rice stick, but not burn on the bottom of my pot, but the result was separate grained, fluffy and perfect to soak up the savory juices of my veggie stew.

I ate a romaine lettuce leaf while waiting for all this to cook, and then after dinner had a small scoop of Breyer's strawberry ice cream, which is way too sweet now, and I won't buy again. It used to have more strawberries and not be so sweet, but you know the stockholders that bought out the company have to tweak the product for more profit.

Oh, and before dessert, I cooked up a ground chuck patty for protein. I didn't really want it, but understanding nutrition, it was necessary. That veggie stew over rice was the star, though, and I have three more servings, one of which I froze, along with two portions of rice that went into the freezer with it. That light spicing and the chicken bouillon made it spoon and plate-licking good.

• Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <

Lightly breaded bass last night in an effort to make sure Ronnie catches some fish today at the lake (I figured if we eat fish the night before he will catch a ton because I don't like eating the same thing twice in a row lol)

593ab340e2d35_photo135.JPG.281cfd47d6e3dbba54c5f34fc0240a53.JPG

• Like 10

Lemon and coriander pork. Cubed pork marinated overnight in olive oil, lemon juice and zest, crushed coriander seeds, garlic, red chilli pepper, S+P. Pan fried.

Grilled/broiled vegetables. Mushrooms, shallots, garlic, yellow bell peppers, cherry tomatoes. All with olive oil.

Rice.

dinner2.thumb.jpg.864320847627f2c9e542df76c7688892.jpg

• Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1. Stir fry crab with salted egg yolk and butter,

2. Stir fry crab with marmite,

3. Kam heong lai liu har (literally pissing prawn) -

• Kam Heong (Chinese : 金香) - literally "golden fragrance" in English, Kam Heong is a method of cooking developed in Malaysia, and is a good example of the country's culinary style of mixing cultures. The tempering of aromatics with bird’s eye chilies, curry leaves, crushed dried shrimp, curry powder, oyster sauce and various other seasonings yields a versatile stir-fry sauce that goes well with chicken, clams, crabs, prawns, and squid.
  • Lai Liu Har - mantis prawn

4. Xiong tong lala -

• Xiong Tong - literally superior soup
  • LalaSurf clam, Short necked clam, Carpet clam, Venus clam (Binomial name - Paphia textile)

5. Bing Zhan Gu Lou Yuk (literally Ice Mountain Sweet & Sour Pork)
- basically normal Sweet & Sour Pork dip in ice bucket as coon as it cooked, differently with normal Sweet & Sour Pork? much more crunchier and it half cold half hot.

And of cause all of this with rice. 

stir fry crab with salted egg yolk and butter.jpg

marmite crab.jpg

kam heong mantis prawn.jpg

xiong tong lala (lala in superior soup).jpg

Bing Zhan Gu Lou Yuk (Ice Mountain Sweet & Sour Pork).jpg

• Like 14

A feature I really like about an almost exclusively Indian diet is the ability to holdover a dish or two, and the ability to change the flavours of a held dish into something a little different. In this case, a new tempering was added to yesterdays chana dal with zucchini - I heated ghee, added mustard and ajwain seeds, then asafoetida, before pouring over the hot lentils. I also added chopped dill to yesterdays cucumber raita.

Chapati, cumin rice, eggplant with tomato, yesterdays two potato dish, bitter melon coated in spiced semolina, lentils with zucchini. On the side, garlic chutney (wow, that's good), a new batch of tomato chutney, cucumber raita and lime pickle.

IMG_3685.thumb.JPG.8094ee6965897d41a28f96a4faba1664.JPG

• Like 8

image.jpeg.fc6340f28fe61bd685827b9d03fc7b87.jpeg

Last night's leftovers reheated in the Cuisinart Steam Oven and perked up a little with the addition of some frozen corn and frozen peas.  

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

BOGO on  BSCB at the local grocery store.   Bought a bunch of packs.   I have quite a few in an equalibeum brine for my wife's lunch options and pounded out a couple for Chicken Marsala for tonight 

image.jpeg

• Like 10