• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 5)

Shelby

Saturday night's dinner at our favorite local Asian restaurant - Michiru in Webster.

IMG_0489.thumb.JPG.59d9ce242fa90a251b201968fa6fc4b0.JPG

Tempura Vegetables

IMG_0490.thumb.JPG.b531b8475a8e5239a579ddef0cdbc404.JPG

Pan-fried Pork Gyosa and Hot & Sour Soup

IMG_0491.thumb.JPG.9264eb2e8eeb5a2cdb448682c934ef83.JPG

Beef Szechuan Style

IMG_0492.thumb.JPG.d1efb70fefb5e1804ee3d4de66b0f726.JPG

C2 Roll - Filet migon, fried crawfish, avocado, steak sauce, spicy mayo, garlic chips

• Like 10

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Having two pieces of sea bass left over from last night, I racked my cookbooks -- east and west -- for a solution.  Nothing moved me as much as Bugialli's Pesce ai Capperi that I had yesterday.

Where I went wrong, being lazy, I grabbed a stainless skillet that would go in the dishwasher, rather than the Falk copper piece that I so lovingly scrubbed out this afternoon.  When I added the butter the oil exploded, burning my face and arms (and, I notice, leg).

The fish got a bit overdone.  Still eatable, but nowhere near the masterpiece that was last night.  The floor is now somewhat washed, as is the stove.  I hurt.  However it could have been much, much worse.

Yikes! I hope you're OK. Oil burns are no fun.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

50 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

Yikes! I hope you're OK. Oil burns are no fun.

Thanks, the only place that still hurts is my chin, just on and below my lip.  It blistered pretty good.  I washed the stove and kitchen floor last night, though apparently there are some slippery spots I missed.

I just wish I'd had the sense to dump that pan and start over, rather than abuse my lovely fish with burnt oil.  Part of the problem was I was holding the wretched overheated pan with no place to put it down.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

What is in your chilled canned tropical fruit? I don't believe I've seen this before.

Contains pineapple, red papaya, yellow papaya and their syrup mixture.

DoleTropiclFruit.jpg

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks, the only place that still hurts is my chin, just on and below my lip.  It blistered pretty good.  I washed the stove and kitchen floor last night, though apparently there are some slippery spots I missed.

I just wish I'd had the sense to dump that pan and start over, rather than abuse my lovely fish with burnt oil.  Part of the problem was I was holding the wretched overheated pan with no place to put it down.

Gads, hope you're  okay.  I've had my share of kitchen accidents recently, boiling water scald and mandoline finger cut.  I attribute the increase in occurrence  to my wife working late and me sampling too many whiskeys  before she gets home. 

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 2

RBS.thumb.jpg.5fe5e67dd2b647083b6266674783562c.jpg

Prime Tri-Tip , SV  130.1

lightly seasoned w Sauers  Prime Rib seasoning during the SV.

https://www.cfsauer.com/product/prime-rib-roast-seasoning-rub-00575/

sliced very thin

fresh sourdough toast , less mayo than usual

that's it

fresh ground pepper

Heaven iItself.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 11

Lemon rice, quick spiced potatoes, eggplant in yoghurt, spinach dal, roti paratha, coconut chutney, tomato chutney, lime pickles. The lemon rice is becoming a firm favourite way to use leftover cooked rice. It's so simple, fry a tsp of mustard seeds in oil, add curry leaves, minced chillies, and juice of half a lemon. Add rice and mix through.

IMG_3678.thumb.JPG.5a1023e17901c504cda9491e8a13df9a.JPG

• Like 12

I cooked a dinner for someone else today, and wound up too tired to cook for myself. A friend is recovering from a brown recluse spider bite and a subsequent staph infection that almost cost him his arm, and his wife went back to work today, leaving him in the care of their two teenagers. One of them cooks -- she is, in fact, an accomplished baker -- but I figured I'd give them a break with a meal.

Charlie is of German extraction, and I love to cook German food, so I made choucroute garnie, along with a salad out of the garden, some potatoes in cheese sauce, cornbread muffins and I shared my blackberry cobbler with them. Hoping they enjoy.

5935ea0c389d2_cchoucroute0605.jpg.4300263afb53697a43f709c9c96b0822.jpg

• Like 11

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I had leftover split pea soup with pork ribs and a lot of veggies, with frozen corn meal pancakes with a lot more veggies baked into one side with butter.

For dessert I had a Pepperidge Farm puff pastry apple turnover. I prefer the sour cherry ones, but can no longer find those. I had cooked one from the freezer previously in my small aluminum Club brand Dutch oven and it didn't turn out too well. It was okay and I ate it, but from lying on the hotter floor of the pot/oven on the stove top heat from the bottom, it didn't puff too well, and I had to scrape off a lot of charred pastry. This time, I rolled up some aluminum foil into a couple of inch diameter rolls to hold the frozen turnover off the floor of the pot, and it actually puffed better than it does in the oven, I guess due to the trapped steam under the thick lid. There was still some char on the bottom side of the turnover where it bellied down toward the bottom of the pot, but only in a little section between the foil rolls. I scraped that off, and I had a golden brown very well puffed dessert. The more I experiment with this little heavy aluminum pot, the more impressed I am. By little, I mean 3 qt. I also have a larger one that is a couple gallons, and never used either of them except for wet cooking much until the oven broke this umpteenth time.

I just searched and it looks like you can still find the heavy cast aluminum Club pots like I have on ebay, but they have gone to cast iron in their new line. That would be even worse for hot spot on the bottom when used on the stove top.

• Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <

I had all of my kitchen toys humming yesterday.  Two instant pots full of chicken feet making broth and my anova and gourmia making pork belly and then later a couple of eggs for the pho.  First time doing eggs SV.  We loved them.  The pork belly was damn good, too.  There are rice noodles under all of the fixins' .  Oh and I also made a sheet pan full of pork eggrolls that I will freeze today.  

5936a93d3dfc0_photo103.JPG.c533cccb4213673ab2077a756b33395c.JPG

5936a9467f6b7_photo107.JPG.ff444f9c67bf7d0a2d32bf987ecb5f47.JPG

5936a94b87e7d_photo110.JPG.2d0581be86ab1a7a101c893e29d9c8d8.JPG

5936a951bb0de_photo112.JPG.332f61aa0d5856596d93cc39fb12adc3.JPG

• Like 19

19 hours ago, sartoric said:

Lemon rice, quick spiced potatoes, eggplant in yoghurt, spinach dal, roti paratha, coconut chutney, tomato chutney, lime pickles. The lemon rice is becoming a firm favourite way to use leftover cooked rice. It's so simple, fry a tsp of mustard seeds in oil, add curry leaves, minced chillies, and juice of half a lemon. Add rice and mix through.

how do you make the coconut chutney? looks good

• Like 1

Tom Kha Gai with nam phrik pao. I don't like the sweet, white version, so I went yum goong on it, with chili paste and fish sauce & lime juice aplenty. Will make again

20170605_200345.jpg

• Like 9

@HungryChris – thank you for the instructions.  I keep noticing them in the store and online and that usually means that I’ll be buying them soon!

@Norm Matthews – I must NOT let Mr. Kim see your steak dinner.  I’m not planning on steak anytime soon!  Your stuffed potatoes look great!  What do you do with them?

@JoNorvelleWalker – Ooooh!  I’m sorry about your burns…and your floor…and your fish!  Take care!

@Thanks for the Crepes – I ADORE Club Aluminum.  I have a whole extra set in the attic in case of something happening to the ones in use.  I can’t imagine what that would take – those things seem to be indestructible.  I could never make good, Southern green beans like my grandmother’s until she gave me one of her old Club Aluminum Dutch ovens.

Dinner a couple of nights ago  – salad with Caesar dressing & homemade croutons:

DSCN7068.JPG.5ff84b731bf3ce76dac0b50cd5371d4a.JPG

Pork tenderloin w/ a fig, mustard and sherry vinegar sauce, fixed up Kraft mac & cheese and toasted baguette:

DSCN7067.JPG.00974f2c2760a48b06c6c61dffab7c44.JPG

I love doing tenderloins this way.  I just roast them in the oven at 425F until the reach temperature (usually long enough to make a salad and simple side), tent them with foil and use the pan to make a sauce out of things dug out of the fridge – hoisin, jam, leftover sautéed apples, etc.  I almost always add mustard and some kind of vinegar.  It takes longer to get the silverskin off than it does to pull the dish together.  And one tenderloin is enough for the two of us to eat plus one meal for Mr. Kim to take to work!

• Like 11

Hi, @Kim Shook The potatoes were baked, cooled, center scooped out with a melon baller, mixed with onions that were softened with a little oil in a pan, milk, butter, garlic salt & pepper, parsley, grated cheddar and refrigerated.  When ready to cook, paprika sprinkled on top, wrapped in foil and reheated for 20 or 30 minutes and served with sour cream-not shown. 

• Like 2

@zend, thanks. 

I mix about a cup of grated fresh coconut (frozen, thawed) with a cup of yoghurt, 1/4 cup water, minced green chillies, pepper and salt, then pour over a tempering of hot ghee into which I've fried a tsp of mustard seeds til they crackle, 1.5 tsp of urad dal til they brown then curry leaves and a pinch of asafoetida. Mix well and serve at room temperature. Cup measure is 250 ml.

• Like 2

In a departure from my usual thali style meal, I made Andhra chicken rice from Tasting India by Christine Manfield. To go with, a kachumber of tomato, red onion, cucumber and peanuts dressed with chaat masala and tamarind, a green onion and mint raita, and gunpowder chutney (chilli and sesame). The gunpowder is seriously hot with 50 grams of dried chillies, roasted dals and roasted sesame seeds. Blew our heads off it did.

IMG_3680.thumb.JPG.c8a0039697cd2b18bb732854cc444b81.JPG

• Like 7

Garlic Parmesan Crusted Halibut --  Salt / lemon juice and Pepper/ Bake 450/add mixture of Garlic/Parm/ meyo broil ( I missed the temp mark :( 

Tomato salad / Bacon Green Beans

5937160621fc0_34715085320_16b8b3ce06_h1.thumb.jpg.4ce24110d508f9c334d1271fe376e686.jpg

• Like 11

Its good to have Morels

Eating by myself tonight, can cook what I want.  Congee with a little bit of chicken, soy sauce, Lao gan ma, sautéed red onions.  Have some saved for breakfast!

image.thumb.jpg.80b5b87134bb36cfa5037e20d8db90e1.jpg

• Like 9

We had steamer clams last night. I can already hear the comments: Melted butter warmers?  Hey, they make Deb happy, so I just play along. I did check to make sure my home owners insurance was up to date.

HC

IMG_2385.thumb.JPG.3be7d3285d6261b6ec417120266092e9.JPG 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

We had steamer clams last night. I can already hear the comments: Melted butter warmers?  Hey, they make Deb happy, so I just play along. I did check to make sure my home owners insurance was up to date.

HC

IMG_2385.thumb.JPG.3be7d3285d6261b6ec417120266092e9.JPG 

I love my butter warmers! so I'm with Deb. Mine are designed so that the little metal cup for the tea candle is lifted up from the surface it's sitting on, and I consider them quite safe with supervision. They are a favorite with certain seafood service, and I love calling them calentadores de mantequilla. That's their Spanish name, and for some inexplicable reason, makes them seem even more romantic to me. Just listen to the translations in the link, and you might see what I mean or maybe Deb will. :)

Plus, even the most utilitarian eater has gotta hate melted butter congealing in an unheated ramekin halfway through shucking a clam, oyster, crab or lobster dinner, right? :)

I had a very simple dinner of Danish ham with a little yellow mustard on white bread for dinner, because I ate lunch today, and that's usually not my habit. I also had some mystery snacks from Patel Brothers on my outing that I have been munching on and a few of the hot ones accompanied my sandwich. These snacks are bulk and offered in about 28 different barrels with scoops inside and plexiglass lids which are kind of old and opaque, so you have to remove them to see what's inside. I opened each one, and the first one I wanted was what I thought was papri, which is savory, but when I got it home, it was surprisingly lightly sweet. I was disappointed, but it wasn't bad. I'll eat it. The second one I wound up with I almost passed up, and it turned out to be really, really good. I had replaced the lid before the savory, spicy smell hit me. It looked like the squares I thought were papri, but looked redder and flecked with maybe dried fenugreek leaves. When I got this one home, I wished I'd bought more. I have to add a little salt, but it has plenty of savory, spicy flavor. I call them mystery snacks because the only labeling is a single sign that says everything in all of the barrels is $4.99 a pound. 

I picked up a lot of fun ingredients across the street at the Indian grocer across the street from where I lunched, which will be appearing in future posts. This is a great Indian grocer, but would be more fun with a friend who was conversant in Indian cuisine and ingredients. I'm on a quest to learn though, so anyone how wants to talk about what they know about it will have an avid listener.

• Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <

Leftovers last night, I only cooked fresh rice. Clockwise, chicken with cashews in black spice, peas with paneer, green onion and mint raita, eggplant with yoghurt, spinach dal, lime pickle and a blob of tomato chutney. Roti paratha on the side, straight out of the freezer and onto a hot tawa.

IMG_3681.thumb.JPG.fcfbaba9240ddd6004938178222c0a35.JPG

• Like 8