• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 5)

Shelby

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The verb is "blinch" (I assume most of us here are literate) and the celery provided hours of amusement considering my teeth.

I've never heard of that word. I'm literate. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@HungryChris – how do you heat your crab legs?  I’ve never eaten them or King crab legs at home.  Alton Brown recommends the microwave.

@Kim Shook, I have found that the best  results are gotten when you buy the crab frozen and keep it frozen until you are ready to heat it up. Put it, still frozen, in a steamer basket, in a large covered pot over boiling water and keep the heat on high until about 2  minutes after the steam starts rattling the lid.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@Anna N – was the naan for your pizza homemade or store bought?  I buy it at the store all the time and love it for quick pizza/flatbread.

Store bought. They are  a President's Choice product and not bad at all.  I have recently discovered their Italian Piadina and  although I suspect Italians would be horrified I quite like it. I find it much less like cardboard than most of the wraps that I can get.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

A beef and veggie casserole seemed appropriate for this chilly weather.  The beef is chuck, the veggies are leek, carrots, celery, sweet potato and mushrooms, all slow cooked together with a fresh bouquet garni from the garden. Served with mozzarella mash and broccoli in blue cheese sauce, plus garlic bread.

IMG_3666.thumb.JPG.3a9c9e354a5ebf63eb83f644a21399dc.JPG

Followed by a slice of apple and honey cake from the book Sesame and Spice by Anne Shooter.

IMG_3667.thumb.JPG.7733f14b681faeb7a73ae038646a3e30.JPG

• Like 16

1 hour ago, MetsFan5 said:

I've never heard of that word. I'm literate. 

Think of a juvenile domesticated swine.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

SV flank steak with soy/red wine infused onions, braised sprouts, potato salad

025.thumb.jpg.d37db4bb8aade99009155ff0bb2cca22.jpg

NY strip with coffee/pimenton sauce, pan roasted root veg, maple blackened sprouts

046.thumb.jpg.95c457ce1ad2ff3a77f31ae04ae0e30f.jpg

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 18

Nashville hot chicken... destined to be topped with pickles on slider buns.

nashhot1_zpsg06ijumy.jpg

• Like 19

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I had spareribs to use for more split pea soup tonight. I put four of them into the pot with water to cover and cooked them for an hour while I was washing and chopping veggies and washing and soaking the split peas. I used vidalia and white onion, carrot, jalapeno and a bunch, probably a half pound of mini sweet peppers in yellow, red and orange from Bailey Farms in Oxford, NC. I cooked the peas and veggies for another two hours and added a little ground cloves near the end of cooking, along with more salt, pepper, and yes, I'll 'fess up a little MSG. This was very good with the last of the samoon bread heated wrapped in foil in the small Dutch oven, which has come in so very handy since my oven turned into an electrical fire hazard.

Many hours later, I'm enjoying the last piece of not perfect baklava I purchased at Baghdad Bakery. You know what? Baklava is sort or like pizza or strawberries, or some say sex, in that the worst versions have to get pretty bad before they're not palatable. 

• Like 7

> ^ . . ^ <

I don't understand how @suzilightning stole my idea for dinner!

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/154785-dinner-2017-part-4/?do=findComment&comment=2107369

I had planned this meal some days ago!  Giuliano Bugialli's Pesce ai Capperi, from his Classic Techniques of Italian Cooking, p 232:

Dinner06042017.png

Unbelievably fresh North Atlantic black sea bass from The Lobster Place by way of amazon, delivered this morning, served with steamed fingerling potatoes.  The first fillet was a pain to skin.  The second, the skin came off easily in one piece.  The fillets were marinated in milk, floured, and sautéed.  Ever so simple.  Pan drippings made into a caper sauce.

And I don't understand how one night I can cook up dinner I wouldn't serve to the most wretched homeless person (and in less favorable times I have gratefully dined at the soup kitchen myself) while the next night I can better the finest restaurant.  The one time I experienced Le Bec Fin the fish course was the most memorable.  This more so.  And I have dined around the Adriatic.

Bugialli has not failed me yet.

• Like 17

@JoNorvelleWalker

I am always inordinately pleased when your dinner is successful.

image.thumb.jpeg.0222621b5057649d8cfcb06085c5b451.jpeg

I was so tired yesterday evening that I reached for the takeout menu for our local Chinese place then knew that I couldn't really be bothered dealing with leftovers.  I heated a cast iron pan with a mixture of butter and oil and lots of garlic, tossed in some Campari tomatoes and a few frozen shrimp.   Dinner almost a la minute. A couple of slices of bread, a glass of wine and I saved myself half a week's worth of grocery money.  No leftovers.

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I was trying to cook a chicken breast by the 1-10-10 method after brining it for 24 hours, but I'm not used to my new cooker yet. It's much hotter than I had before. A real Chinese heat blaster and difficult to control. So I over-seared the bird in that first minute.

However, I compensated and the meat ended up tasting perfectly fine - juicy and not over-cooked. Just a bit messed up cosmetically.

With rice and enoki mushrooms in a mushroom Zhajiang type sauce. There was some water spinach, too.

chicken.thumb.jpg.f4be5c337f8212fdd23138af646cd460.jpg

I need to buy a heat diffuser. Never seen one here, though. But then, I've never looked, either.

• Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Found another package of doves in the freezer.  I think this is finally the last one.  I decided to make one of Ronnie's favorites--dove casserole.  I quick fried the doves and made a mushroom gravy.  Instead of using the oven, I used the Instant Pot to finish it off.  Twas good.

59340840da408_photo45.JPG.668d58231357d53d428d93c65008cdd3.JPG

5934084aa54cc_photo54.JPG.83777952cf934b46a02d94f9acf517a2.JPG

5934085198eea_photo61.JPG.7b494314d38ebccc631d83eea0e65596.JPG

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I need to buy a heat diffuser. Never seen one here, though. But then, I've never looked, either.

Forget that!

I just looked for one on Taobao, China's (the world's) biggest online shopping portal. They are offering one for ¥308. The same one costs around $5 to $7 in Walmart in the USA.

¥308 is equal to $45. Someone is extracting the urine!

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I bought the Citrus book from Catherine Phipps a few month ago and I knew I will make that dish when it is really hot. today the weather was perfect for fried citrus slices, joghurt, sumac and smoked paprika for dipping

IMG_0171.JPG

• Like 9

Chicken with cashews in black spice (recipe by Camilla Panjabi) ginger cauliflower, spinach dal, rice, roti paratha, coconut chutney, tomato chutney, green mango pickle.IMG_3672.thumb.JPG.7b68ff1c2965774a5d3457ee8b177417.JPG

• Like 6

Sunday all day BBQ cook for this brisket.

IMG_20170604_200005.thumb.jpg.ce5ca8e8a8547f596a48a00811ca234f.jpg

And Saturday night Rib eye.

IMG_20170603_184638.thumb.jpg.fc0decbadee2b6d0b2bc784bc3e003f0.jpg

My wife is away for a long week end,  so it's been Beef & Single Malt. :D

• Like 13

That brisket is a pretty thing. The steak is no slouch, either.

59348b4e8fb0c_tomatocornpie0604.jpg.c9bff1697a53d4482dc2c182616b386b.jpg

We had pie. Two kinds of pie. I made a tomato and street corn pie, one of my favorite summertime dishes, especially now that I've been getting good tomatoes at the Farmers' Market. It's an easy thing to make -- peel, slice, salt and drain the tomato on paper towels, cut kernels off corn, mix with sour cream, grated cotija, chile powder and cumin (you could use chipotles in adobo if you wanted it hotter), topping of mayo and grated co-jack cheese. Layer corn, tomatoes and bacon in par-baked pie crust; finish off with the mayo-cheese topping and bake for 20 minutes or so at 350, until the topping is golden. You could tweak this any number of ways, but it's one of my favorite summer dishes.

59348b6c4f65b_bbcobbler0604.jpg.fb28bfc7602ebe186e9a829652a74c90.jpg

Then dessert, on which I'm still waiting (I perhaps overdid a bit on the tomato pie), is a blackberry cobbler. Blackberries are quite early this year; these are domestic ones, so big they almost look like mulberries. Two pints brought to a bare boil with 3/4 cup of sugar and a half-cup of water, poured over pie crust dumplings, topped with a pie crust that's brushed with melted butter and sprinkled with sugar. I cut the top crust a tad too small, so it fell down in the pan. :blush: Doesn't hurt the flavor, though. 

I have Haagen Daz vanilla bean ice cream to go on top. I think I'm about ready for that course.

• Like 14

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Sunday night is pizza night. Definitely a crowd-pleaser, especially when you have some 3-5 year old kids over that can put their favorite ingredients on "their" pizza.

Amongst the usual "sweet corn & pork belly" and the "a lot of sweet corn & mortadella" pizzas, we also had the more grown up versions "Mushroom & spicy Salami", "grilled Eggplant & Olives" and "Surprise (aka leftovers) Calzone". Good times ...

WP_20170604_17_01_23_Pro.jpg

WP_20170604_18_07_06_Rich.jpg

WP_20170604_18_13_33_Pro.jpg

• Like 18

Having two pieces of sea bass left over from last night, I racked my cookbooks -- east and west -- for a solution.  Nothing moved me as much as Bugialli's Pesce ai Capperi that I had yesterday.

Where I went wrong, being lazy, I grabbed a stainless skillet that would go in the dishwasher, rather than the Falk copper piece that I so lovingly scrubbed out this afternoon.  When I added the butter the oil exploded, burning my face and arms (and, I notice, leg).

The fish got a bit overdone.  Still eatable, but nowhere near the masterpiece that was last night.  The floor is now somewhat washed, as is the stove.  I hurt.  However it could have been much, much worse.

• Like 1

No pictures but the significance is that this is the first proper meal I have had time to cook since sometime during March. My ren faire plus FIL took up all of my time. Thick cut boneless pork loin chops SVed for 2 3/4 hours at 143.5 in home-made BBQ sauce (rare for me) then seared in a CI pan, basic risotto and chilled canned tropical fruit. The canned tropical fruit is a favorite of my SIL.

• Like 9

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

... and chilled canned tropical fruit. The canned tropical fruit is a favorite of my SIL.

Porthos,

What is in your chilled canned tropical fruit? I don't believe I've seen this before.

And congratulations, that you finally have time to cook again.

> ^ . . ^ <