• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 5)

Shelby

Tonight I attempted to recreate the recipe @Kim Shook posted a while back for fried onion burgers:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/154479-dinner-2017-part-2/?do=findComment&comment=2092504

I don't think anything was wrong with my execution.  Technically the recipe worked.  I think the problem is I just don't like burgers, neither my own nor what I've had in restaurants.  Not to mention my kitchen floor is now slippery with fat.  This is my manifesto to all the world.

If the burger was bad, what was horrible, I made French fries in the CSO, courtesy of Ore-Ida.  Always before Ore-Ida fries have turned out tasty, if not quite up to the standard of a Belgian restaurant.  This time they stuck to the parchment and the final texture was something akin to mashed French fries.  That being said I ground about a pound of chuck tonight, and I have to think of something to do with the other half of it by tomorrow.

I may just pitch it.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I've been thinking about / planning this for a couple of days and pulled it together tonight. Not that it was difficult. In fact, the opposite.

59316b9fbc5d5_codsalad.thumb.jpg.e59c4e7fbbe4ac2c1625f630807ad0f0.jpg.

Steamed cod with a simple salad. The cod was dressed with olive oil, salt and pepper and steamed.

Boiled some potato, dressed with OO and left to cool.

Salad of lettuce, coriander leaf and scallions. OO and lemon dressing.

Served with my magical, spicy ginger sauce imported at great expense from Thailand (which isn't that far away).

Everything came together like a dream. Happy mouth!

59316f64c3724_ThaiGingerSauce.thumb.jpg.cc0adf282f72b227506a54e84335b190.jpg

Edited by liuzhou
dumb typo (log)
  • Like 14

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Light lunch – salad with asparagus and fruit

Today I mixed fresh spinach leaves and green asparagus spears with fruit: juicy pomegranate and sweet blueberries. Add poached egg or pieces of hard-boiled egg if you want to make a more filling dish. This salad is an excellent proposal for a light dinner on a hot summer day.

Ingredients (for 2 people)
2 fistfuls of spinach
a bunch of green asparagus spears (about 12 pieces)
half a pomegranate
two fistfuls of blueberries
4 eggs
salt and pepper

dip:
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 teaspoon of honey
1 tablespoon of water

Clean the asparagus spears, remove the lignified parts and boil for 5-7 minutes in lightly salted water. Drain them and leave for a while. Clean the spinach and remove the thick stems. Arrange the spinach and asparagus spears on a plate. Mix the ingredients of the dip and sprinkle the spinach and asparagus spears with it. Add the pomegranate segments and blueberries.
Put the raw egg into a small bowl. Boil some water with two tablespoons of vinegar. Make a whirlpool in the water by stirring vigorously and put the egg in the middle of it. Boil on a low heat until the egg white is congealed (about 2-3 minutes). Take the egg out of the water and add it to the salads. Spice it up with salt and pepper. Serve at once.

DSC_1409a.jpg

• Like 11

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

That being said I ground about a pound of chuck tonight, and I have to think of something to do with the other half of it by tomorrow.

Do you like chili, tacos, nachos, enchiladas, bolognese sauce, lasagne, stuffed shells, moussaka, pastitsio, beef stroganoff, meatloaf or balls, stuffed peppers, cottage pie, or my favorite: a good old plain ground chuck "steak"?

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

More Indian, the last of my homemade dosa mix (too cold to ferment properly now with winter here), basmati rice, potato masala, silverbeet with paneer, snow peas poriyal. On the side, fresh tomato chutney, sambar, fresh coconut chutney, kaffir lime pickle (an experiment, limes from our tree, it works).

IMG_3658.thumb.JPG.9d3e84918fd70e2e7671420a3d6d8cee.JPG

The meal plated, showing the typical use of sambar, spooned over the rice to moisten.

IMG_4130.thumb.JPG.791f005b3c4ddb163c50cbbc78eaa7c0.JPG

Very excited, we've decided on our holiday destination for later in the year - Sri Lanka (sometimes called India lite). Yum.

• Like 11

Just this. I don't know how to make it look nice today being miserable from my sun allergy* and it's a long weekend so no doctor or pharmacy is open till next tuesday. (*There are 3 kinds of sun allergies and I have 1 of them.)

SV rhubarb and tuna steak.

PC55dJi.jpg

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Do you like chili, tacos, nachos, enchiladas, bolognese sauce, lasagne, stuffed shells, moussaka, pastitsio, beef stroganoff, meatloaf or balls, stuffed peppers, cottage pie, or my favorite: a good old plain ground chuck "steak"?

Good old plain ground chuck steak sounds awfully close the hamburger I wish I had not had last night.  I'm still thinking, but I am not inspired and it's getting close to fixing dinner.

• Like 1

I've been buying packaged ravioli from the grocery store.  Usually the selection is mushroom and cheese or spinich and ricotta.  I've seen 3 different brands and they all taste pretty much the same.  Tonight it was the mushroom ravioli with sautéed brown mushrooms and shallots in butter with a pour of cream.  Just an easy quick dinner to throw together 

• Like 5

image.thumb.jpeg.f830f7e3003562060793f1332b59d9d2.jpeg

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

FINALLY found a purveyor who is able to supply really fresh fish so had some flounder last night.  Soaked for half an hour in some milk, coated in a mix of corn flake crumbs, herbs and Wondra flour then pan fried.  Deglazed the pan with some white wine and then added capers and some parsley.  Baked my piece in the oven.  Served with plain boiled potatoes.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Palacsintas with mushroom pate. French black lentil salad with celery, Roquefort, onion, charred cherry tomatoes, arugula, wine vinegar and olive oil.  Classic cheesecake with vanilla and sour cream.

20170531_203653.thumb.jpg.798a3e0554577077a35c7bc1ef813aa5.jpg20170531_203819.thumb.jpg.fc315ba88a70aa47c3eac11050a88294.jpg20170531_130909.thumb.jpg.a631bb39e699fba0ff7e14775a6997f3.jpg

• Like 9

~ Shai N.

12 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

I've been buying packaged ravioli from the grocery store.  Usually the selection is mushroom and cheese or spinich and ricotta.  I've seen 3 different brands and they all taste pretty much the same.  Tonight it was the mushroom ravioli with sautéed brown mushrooms and shallots in butter with a pour of cream.  Just an easy quick dinner to throw together 

I used to do that in London about 25 or more years ago. My emergency can't-be-bothered-cooking dinner was ravioli just as you describe.

China doesn't do them as such, but I found that many varieties of frozen wontons are incredibly similar apart from the use of cheese. Pork and mushroom. Chicken, pork and shrimp. So now I usually have some of those lurking in the freezer. Must buy some tomorrow.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalker 

not quite sure what may blanch is ....

at least you didn't seem to cook the celery 

you probably got some crunch out of it

that's about the most you can hope for.

suprise.gif.827bea69f69c39c7e4cec4666cd9d08f.gif

The verb is "blinch" (I assume most of us here are literate) and the celery provided hours of amusement considering my teeth.

5 hours ago, shain said:

Palacsintas with mushroom pate. French black lentil salad with celery, Roquefort, onion, charred cherry tomatoes, arugula, wine vinegar and olive oil.  Classic cheesecake with vanilla and sour cream.

20170531_203653.thumb.jpg.798a3e0554577077a35c7bc1ef813aa5.jpg

Oh, my. Haven't thought about palacsintas in ages. I used to absolutely lust for the ham palacsintas at Paulette's, a long-time favorite restaurant that still operates in Memphis -- they also had a shrimp and aspargus crepe that I loved, as well as coquille St. Jacques over some spaetzle-like dumplings, and I used to rotate among those three choices.

Now I'm thinking it's time for a revisit of Paulette's, albeit the menu no longer has some of my old favorites. But here's the palacsinta recipe. "Clickety"

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@ninagluck – here is the recipe I use for Liptauer cheese.  It is from an old issue of Women’s Day magazine, but the taste is very similar to others I’ve tasted at Eastern European restaurants and delis.

Liptauer Cheese Dip

@HungryChris – how do you heat your crab legs?  I’ve never eaten them or King crab legs at home.  Alton Brown recommends the microwave.

@scubadoo97 – I agree!  Summer corn and scallops are one of nature’s perfect combinations!  Nice char on those scallops!

@JoNorvelleWalker – I think if you don’t normally love burgers, even the loveliness of those fried onions won’t make them yummy to you!  Weird about the fries!  I use those a lot, too, and haven’t ever had that happen!

@jvalentino – what is that yummy-looking dark juicy stuff on your steak?

@Anna N – was the naan for your pizza homemade or store bought?  I buy it at the store all the time and love it for quick pizza/flatbread.

Inspired by watching local butcher Tanya Cauthen of Belmont Butchery win on an episode of Chopped, we trekked down there to get something for dinner yesterday.  We decided on a cheese/meat/bread meal with leftover salad from our takeout pizza last night.  Cheese plate and bread:

DSCN7062.JPG.f19b7022f3fcdd38a067aa9d4ca29a19.JPG

The bread is from Flour Garden Bakery in Richmond.  The cheeses are Humboldt Fog, a crappy Cheddar we had on hand and Appalachian – a raw milk cheese from Meadow Creek Dairy in Galax VA.  The bread and the two bookend cheeses were fantastic. 

The meats and some cherries:

DSCN7063.JPG.72a6171672c9514f37a1d813414ce4dc.JPG

The pate is house made at the Butchery – chunky with pork, liver, fat, onions, S&P, coriander, ginger and nutmeg.  It is a perfect rustic pate.  The sopressata is from Fra’ Mani and it was gorgeous.  Close up of the pate:

DSCN7064.JPG.cdf580a276e63629a21c45da5776c856.JPG

We count ourselves very, very lucky to have such a place locally.

• Like 11