• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 5)

Shelby

I’m in the process of trying out recipes for house guests that will be here in July.  So it was breakfast for dinner tonight.  I decided that I wanted to try to make Liège waffles from Smitten Kitchen.  These are seriously delicious.  Dough studded with pearl sugar:

DSCN7049.JPG.8d1b99138e03513a06228a964a36cca0.JPG

On my wonderful new waffle iron – with removable grids:

DSCN7051.JPG.6408a849899c98c18d44b8f6495012fc.JPG

Plated with Benton bacon:

DSCN7053.JPG.e2486d186ab562a0a5dc44dded436abf.JPG

Just amazing – you get a really deep caramelization on the crust and the pearl sugar turned into half melty-half crunchy bits.  They are yeasted, so even in a regular waffle iron they rise up well.  We weren’t sure what toppings would work best so we tried bananas, maple syrup and whipped cream (not pictured since all I had was a can:P):

DSCN7052.JPG.05fd7f71c5896c3d6f8a9d6c86e46662.JPG

These are KEEPERS!

• Like 17

Kim, that looks wonderful.  

Chicken enchiladas for us last night

592eaea48f2d4_photo167.JPG.4df696b23b7e6880fbbe5b1b49a53c94.JPG

592eae96e889d_photo168.JPG.e49ff923e7057c0b54dfcff52d4ee35d.JPG

And the second cherry tomato we've picked from our garden.  They aren't very good yet...the first ones never are for some reason.  BUT, HEY, it's a garden tomato so I'll take it.

• Like 18

My wife wanted cabbage as a side dish for dinner, but didn't say what she wanted as the main.  Of course I suggested corned beef brisket, but she said she would prefer brisket made like a pot roast.  So, brisket made like a pot roast in the slow cooker with onion, carrots, celery, potato and a little dried porcini, red wine and chicken stock for the braising liquid.  Gravy made from the jus.  Served with cabbage with butter, a la Voltaggio, a successful experiment.  Fresh cherries for dessert.

brisket-cabbage.jpg.0d4bc545a330b603057935a837735915.jpg

• Like 13

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Asparagus once again – pizza with asparagus spears and salami.

Recently, asparagus spears have become a permanent product in my kitchen, so I decided that they would be the main ingredient of my pizza. I added to them some salami, two kinds of cheese and black olives. At first sight it is an unconventional combination, but it was surprisingly tasty. It was so yummy that my impressed daughter forgot to cover everything with ketchup.

Ingredients:
ready pizza base
1 tin of tomatoes (cubed)
half an onion
3 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons of oil
1 tablespoon of butter
1 teaspoon of dried oregano
150g of sliced salami
bunch of green asparagus spears (about 12 pieces)
150g of grated mozzarella cheese
50g of grated emmenthal
salt and pepper

Melt the butter in a frying pan. Fry the diced onion and garlic. Add the tomato and oregano, spice it up with salt and pepper and stew for 15 minutes. The sauce should be quite thick. You can blend it if you don't want any tomato pieces in the sauce. Clean the asparagus spears, remove the lignified parts and blanch for 3-5 minutes in lightly salted water. Drain them and leave for a while.
Heat the oven up to 200C. Cover a baking sheet with baking paper.
Put the pizza base onto the baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes. Spread the partly-baked base with the tomato sauce and put the slices of salami on top. Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella cheese and all of the emmenthal cheese. Arrange the asparagus spears and sprinkle with the rest of the mozzarella cheese. Bake for 15 minutes.

DSC_1347a.jpg

• Like 15

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

IMG_3654.thumb.JPG.158c1ad4a40e75468ad373239854047e.JPGMostly leftovers from last night with newly made silverbeet paneer, lemon rice, and roti breads.

The lemon rice uses cooked rice, so is also technically leftover. Fry a diced green chilli in oil, add mustard seeds, curry leaves, a few cashews and the juice of half a lemon, add rice and toss to heat through, easy peasy.

• Like 7

Northern European spring, Australian temperatures. For days on end. It's back to nice and cool again now.

Some recent dinners.

Clams in black bean sauce (loose fermented black beans with which I made a sauce, not Lee Kum Kee). Sichuan chillies in oil, tamari, garlic, lots of garlic.

dJ1lAYi.jpg

KXGq1Jy.jpg

Simple SV salmon. A quick sear after.

9wnoI3i.jpg

The wine, from deep south of Netherlands. To make sparkling Riesling the traditional method they had to send it to Germany. Costs me 50% more than in Germany for this bottle. It's a rather nice and acceptable sparkling Riesling.

8bK8sH2.jpg

A fish has to swim 3 times. In water, in wine, and in butter. SV skate wing.

haLXb4L.jpg

Ate the rest of the oysters over the kitchen sink just before making this photo.

8fxolcA.jpg

More food for Australian temperatures.

li0x57S.jpg

• Like 14

52 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

More food for Australian temperatures.

Hey BV, it's the first day of winter today, currently 14.5 C ...chilly, brrr.

Your food looks fantastic!

Edited by sartoric
Edited to add. (log)
  • Like 1

Corn chowder was dinner this evening.   Inspired by the three  large zip bags of cobs in the freezer and nearly that many fresh ears in the fridge.   About 15 cobs went into the pressure cooker and turned out a nice base for the soup along with chicken stock.  

• Like 7

3 hours ago, chefmd said:

Sous vide pork chop with cast iron pan sautéed corn.

image.thumb.jpg.6c122b6e71e6246dd228d1018c9b92fd.jpg

Lovely, I had never heard of sautéed corn!

Dinner here is a Berkshire rib chop, thicker than usual.  Berkshire chops are what required me to acquire my largest Falk copper piece.  Currently the 10 inch chop is salted and resting as am I*.  When I finish up my Mississippi punch I shall go start searing it.

*yes, I eat salt neat out of the bowl with no shame after the evening nuts are gone.  Sometimes before.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Lovely, I had never heard of sautéed corn!

Warning to @liuzhou: horrible non-food discussion ahead. :)

Really? One of my favorite vegetable sides is onion sauteed in butter until nice and soft and just beginning to brown, then add fresh corn cut off the cob. It you have red bell pepper, or want to add some jalapeno, add it with the corn. It's really good. You can make this with frozen corn during winter, but fresh corn is best.

Is your Berkshire chop 10" thick, Jo, or 10" wide? I bet it will be good!

I'm not afraid of salt either. It would be a sad world without salt to me. Primitive peoples used to use it as currency, and in Stephen King's "Under the Dome", where a small Maine town became isolated from the world it became currency again. We under appreciate it, I think, because it's cheap and abundant.

After having a huge lunch at the vegetarian Indian buffet at Udipi Cafe in Cary, I walked around the corner and picked up a couple of samoon bread loafs and a couple pieces of pistachio baklava at Baghdad Bakery. One of the samoons became dinner stuffed with Danish ham and Muenster, wrapped in foil and heated in the small Dutch oven. The baklava was okay, and I tasted butter, but it wasn't the freshest, and there was no honey, just sugar syrup, and no rose water. I probably won't get baklava there again, but I'll be back for the samoon loaves that are baked up fresh every day. I'm spoiled on baklava from what my Greek FIL used to make and taught me to make. It sure would be nice to buy some good stuff somewhere, though, because it is a PITA to make properly and deserves the high prices if it is, in fact, properly done and reasonably fresh. I did like that Baghdad's version was not too overly sweet, but the pistachios were all in one layer and had some chunks that were almost the size of a quarter nut, so an overall baklava fail for me.

• Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <

@Thanks for the Crepes the Berkshire chop was 10 inches long, about an inch and a half thick.  For this American, American comfort food:

Dinner06012017.png

Perhaps a crime against humanity but the Berkshire pork prepared well done (though not dry!) as the chop was full two weeks wet aged* and err, um very fragrant.  Served with CSO steamed Fordhook lima beans, Minnesota hand gathered wild rice.

Pears Corrado and MR not shown.  Whistlepig as the digestive.

*euphemism.

• Like 10

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I haven't made this in an age and I can't think why. It's one of my favourites.

Clams with fermented black beans, garlic, ginger, Osmanthus wine and soy sauce. Scallions. Served with rice.

I always make "too much" sauce then soak the rice in it. Delicious. Or I may even mop it up gravy style with bread. Sauce from Chinese heaven.

5930050a9cabb_clamsandrice.thumb.jpg.c2db1ab39ade5768169e96621007c4a7.jpg

clams.thumb.jpg.cdb2f45201382788c133c6b06315c124.jpg

I had originally intended to serve this with asparagus on the side, but in the end felt it didn't need it, so it's in the fridge for breakfast tomorrow.

• Like 15

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

BBQ duck with rice and grilled bok choy from my garden.  The duck's skin did not get crispy :-(  I did not dry it for a couple of days in the fridge is likely why.  Did it on my gas grill rotisserie using the infrared heating element.

.DSC01999.thumb.jpg.b70c1752ea5424189de7fae124f97726.jpg

DSC01995.thumb.jpg.3cc563b349d4ea7949440a7d37718b58.jpg

Edited by Okanagancook
add another picture (log)
  • Like 14

Yakhni pullao (basmati rice fried with whole spices and cooked in chicken stock), sesame potatoes, cauliflower curry, shredded green papaya as a vegetable, roti bread. Served with cucumber raita, lime pickle and mango chutney.

IMG_3657.thumb.JPG.c2b496dee3c36e853601cd5efc4a4f0b.JPG

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, sartoric said:

Yakhni pullao (basmati rice fried with whole spices and cooked in chicken stock), sesame potatoes, cauliflower curry, shredded green papaya as a vegetable, roti bread. Served with cucumber raita, lime pickle and mango chutney.

@sartoric - that looks amazing as usual!  Is the lime pickle homemade or purchased?  If homemade, do you have a recipe you can share?

• Like 1