• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

can't misspell dessert again to supply another joke :-)

I made seven layer salad in a five-cup clear plastic lidded storage container. It was just a layer of iceberg, a layer of frozen thawed petite green peas, a few scallion greens harvested from the deck supplemented with a little finely minced regular onion, small chopped Campari tomatoes, chopped boiled eggs, and shredded Cheddar. At serving, I scooped half of this carefully on a plate so as not to compromise the other leftover half. Then I put a scant tablespoon of Dukes mayo on top salt and black pepper and tossed it all together. I garnished with bacon I'd cooked up crispy and crumbled. I don't make this enough, not in years. This must be remedied. I actually started getting the remnants off the plate with my finger, but then I outright licked the plate. (No one else was here.) Something about the way the mayo dressing comes together with the egg yolks, tomato juice, salt and pepper. I can't explain it, but this is one killer salad, and I love the way the peas burst in your mouth. It is also very pretty made in a trifle dish to show off the layers and take to a potluck. 

I was tempted to just eat the other half of the container of salad and call it dinner, but I had shredded the remaining opo squash and salted it to drain in a colander, so I reluctantly proceeded with the original plan. Can't wait until tomorrow to polish off the rest of the salad.

I ate a small cup of the defrosted split pea soup, hot in both temp and spiciness, with the last of the cornmeal and wheat flour pancakes with peas, carrots, onion and jalapeno cooked into one side. Then I fried up spicy opo pakoras and had dessert of cherries and blueberries.

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

I made seven layer salad in a five-cup clear plastic lidded storage container. It was just a layer of iceberg, a layer of frozen thawed petite green peas, a few scallion greens harvested from the deck supplemented with a little finely minced regular onion, small chopped Campari tomatoes, chopped boiled eggs, and shredded Cheddar. At serving, I scooped half of this carefully on a plate so as not to compromise the other leftover half. Then I put a scant tablespoon of Dukes mayo on top salt and black pepper and tossed it all together. I garnished with bacon I'd cooked up crispy and crumbled. I don't make this enough, not in years. This must be remedied. I actually started getting the remnants off the plate with my finger, but then I outright licked the plate. (No one else was here.) Something about the way the mayo dressing comes together with the egg yolks, tomato juice, salt and pepper. I can't explain it, but this is one killer salad, and I love the way the peas burst in your mouth. It is also very pretty made in a trifle dish to show off the layers and take to a potluck. 

I was tempted to just eat the other half of the container of salad and call it dinner, but I had shredded the remaining opo squash and salted it to drain in a colander, so I reluctantly proceeded with the original plan. Can't wait until tomorrow to polish off the rest of the salad.

I ate a small cup of the defrosted split pea soup, hot in both temp and spiciness, with the last of the cornmeal and wheat flour pancakes with peas, carrots, onion and jalapeno cooked into one side. Then I fried up spicy opo pakoras and had desert of cherries and blueberries.